Headboard/Bookshelf Aquarium

Suave

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Now this is just a thought so don't get all excited about see pics and all just yet

So I was thinking earlier tonight and I have something like this at the end of my bed.

So my idea was to make my own and that would have a ~5g tank in the middle or on the left/right side. Maybe even have the light in the aquarium set to turn on at the same time my alarm goes off? haha.

Any thoughts about this would be great, especially if you see any potential problems.

Suave

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
would definitely have to have a way to get in the tank. i was thinking just a wooden board that would go on top of the tank so that the top of the entire structure could still be flat, but it would be easily removable for what i need to feed the fish and what not.

Suave

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
a hinge would be good, and maybe a small finger sized hole on the door to be able to pick it up.

any ideas on how i could do the lighting or the filtration?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Could you build the lighting into the headboard itself? That would be cool, but not sure it would work, especially if you do the hinges. But if the lighting doesn't have to be from the top, maybe the lighting could be built into the headbord from the sides or back, and put on a timer.

What would you stock with, a betta? Maybe you could do a sponge filter? Or an internal corner filter?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Would look great but I'm wondering... Wouldn't any movement on the bed disturb the fish?
Carol

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I used to have a little one on my headboard - the fish were fine, although I think you are right, the bed would have to stay fairly still...
What if you anchored the headboard to the wall rather than connecting it to the bedframe - that would eliminate the issue, or at least lessen it.

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It sounds like a very cool idea but my concern is maintnence.How would you siphon,clean filter,etc. without getting the bed wet?Moving around in the bed would probably disturb the fish.I like your idea with the alarm though.That would be awesome!;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your room light needs to be on a few minutes before you turn the aquarium light on to keep from scaring/startling your fish. So having the light come on when the alarm goes off might not work. Would be like having your bedroom light flash on when the alarm went off

I have friends who put a large aquarium (55g I thing) at the head of their bed and it looked like it was part of the bed. very cool looking.
Carol

Suave

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well as of right now my headboard is a seperate object from my bed. I would probably end up bolting the headboard to the wall behind it.

I like the idea of having lights maybe on the sides, LEDs maybe?? idk.

as far as maintenance, I could probably filter the gravel just using a bucket next to the bed. and to fill it up I have a sink right across the hall. uhmm and I would probably keep maybe a small tarp around to put over the bead during maintenance to keep it dry. I wouldn't mind putting extra work in for maintenance if it's gonna look really nice in my bedroom.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd have the tank in the centre of the headboard & if the bed is seperate to the headboard I would probably actually put the bed on castors so that it can just be rolled out of the way to do maintainance. Then hinge the panel below the tank so that I could run a mini sump arrangement or a small diy canister filter. That way you could have heaters etc out of sight & timers etc off to one side so that they can't get wet.
Some dim LED's to come on with the alarm would be ok & then a second brighter light to come on 30mins later.

Failing that I would have the tank in the centre & close off a little bit of each section either side of the tank to contain timers & filter. Have the hinged top to get access for feeding & maintainance as well as hinging a panel either side for access to power & filter.

compuphones

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I dont know about disturbing the fish, a poster would be quieter unless the sound of pumps helps you sleep, or perhaps you fancy the vibration. What does your wife think if she just thinks of england then i understand. lovely idea i think we should all have one.

Suave

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
haha ya no wife yet:] BUT I do have a gf, now of 6 months and she LOVES my fish and is definitely encouraging about the hobby!

And all of my tanks are pretty quiet actually. So hopefully this one wont be any louder. a little humming would be ideal actually. I like a little sound when I sleep, pure silence is a little scary haha. I usually put the the tv on volume 1 and on a 30 minute sleep timer before I go to bed just so i have a little sound as i doze off haha

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sound wouldn't be an issue if you can hide air pumps, timers etc inside the headboard. You could sound proof the area where they are very easily with old egg cartons or styrene foam as a deadener. That way the only sound you hear is the bubbles in the tank & maybe the filter depending on what sort you used. If the bed is seperate to the headboard you wouldn't feel the viabrations so that's a non-issue.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What if you flipped the bed around so it was not on the wall but out in the room. Maybe you could use a bigger aquarium and just see the fish through both sides, but have it as more of an Island type cabinet. Do the maintenance on the other side of the bed because of the flip. It's kinda of like a pop up TV at the foot of the bed just swap the TV for an Aquarium. Cool idea by the way.

Suave

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
627.jpg

1-my bed
2-headboard
3-wall mounted tv

considering my tv is mounted to the wall, i dont want to move it. its kinda hard to move around the furniture in the room.. i also have 2 desks and a dresser in there. so i would prefer to keep the furniture in the same position if possible

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depending on the design the DIY canisters can either work really well or really terrible. Best to google them & do lots of research before taking them on as a project. You can have external heaters when using sumps or when using canister filters. All it takes is a PVC chamber large enough for the heather to fit inside & a cord grip in the top to seal around the heater, a fitting for water to flow into & a fitting for water to flow out of. Heaters that don't need to be fully submerged work best so that you can still access the temp adjustment. You need to have a canister filter or some other external pump to drive them.

I'll draw up a rough plan for one soon & post it for you if you like.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom