Headache or heck of a buy?

1. Jahnikar Member Member

I found a 20 gallon long for $20, tank only - no hood, stand or anything else. Is it more worthwhile to get this and then piece together the rest (hood, lighting, filter, etc) or get a tank that comes with the hood? I priced a Marineland hood from Petmountain real fast and it was almost $45.

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

I Payed 40 for my 20 gallon with hood, filter, heater. Try to find something on your local craigslist :D

3. Jahnikar Member Member

Oops, forgot to mention it was on Craigslist that I found it lol :;smack

4. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

O lol I dont know then.

5. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Keep looking. I got my 20gL (tank only) for $5 at a local thrift shop. Got my 55gal with nice solid wood stand for $40 off Craigslist.

6. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Yep you're right to question the value of that. If the price was $10 without the hood, filter, etc., now that is a good deal. $20 for a bare 20, not so much IMO.

EDIT: PetCo right now is running a 40 percent off sale on Aqueon kits: 10g, 20g, 29g, and 55g. Their Aqueon 20 gallon Deluxe kit with filter, heater, fluorescent light, hood, net, food/water conditioner samples is $52 here in FL. It's not a 20L, but still...it's brand new with all the fixin's.

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think you are better off waiting for a better deal. I don't think a new 20 long costs more than $25 at petsmart.

As far as buying a "kit" or buying everything a la carte, it all depends. When buying used, you can either score big or you can get beat. For example, the 90 gallon came with a fluval 405, 305 and an AC110. AWESOME! I have done well buying used tanks with top quality equipment, but there are lots of tanks being sold with junk. When you are negotiating, if the equipment isn't top notch, it's not worth anything. The fact that it comes with this and that and the other thing are inconsequential if it's garbage - you'll have to go out and replace them, probably sooner than later. Use that to your advantage to support your low ball offer. Tell them if you buy it, you are going to have to buy all new stuff and that should be reflected in the price. It's STILL good to have that lower quality stuff - it's perfect for use in a quarantine tank, where there are minimal performance demands, so make sure you get the stuff :)

If you're feeling lucky, and you think they don't know that they have good equipment (maybe they bought it used), you can try that technique.

When buying a new kit, the components aren't that great. Most likely you'll have to upgrade at some point, but again, it's not a bad thing to have a backup. And at least you know that they'll work for a while.

8. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I think it depends on if you will want to upgrade a kit... I've gotten a kit before, then found I wanted to upgrade the lights, so new hood. Then I wanted to upgrade the filter so that it had a stronger current. New filter. The kit didn't have an adjustable heater... new heater. I could have just bought the tank separate for much cheaper. If you are going to be happy with most the components of the kit, then kits tend to be better cost wise. If you want to upgrade to the biggest and baddest of them all, the tank will suffice fine.

9. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Jaysee, I paid $33+tax for my new 20gL (before I found the used one for $5 lol...they're difficult to find in my area) at Petsmart. They're even more (I think $36 or $38) at Petco, unless you can catch the $1/gallon sale, which I never seem to have money when they have those sales. :p

10. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Yep, I agree with Jaysee et al re: kit components. Guess it just depends on what you want the 20g for.

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I must have gotten mine on sale. Yeah, I think so.