Head over heart

jen82
I went to my lfs to get some stuff for my big tank and I saw the cutest betta ever. He was red with flecks of blue and turquoise. He was in with lots of glowlight tetras and was hiding at the back. As I walked over he swam to the front and I swear as I got down to look at him he stuck his tongue out at me. I wanted him immediately. But I must remember my betta tank is not even full of water let alone cycled. So I left with a heavy heart. I hope who ever buys him treats him nice.

Lucy
lol, I hate when they do that. They really do speak to you, don't they?
I passed one up too, when I got home I went on and on about her.
Later, much to my surprise (and delight) my husband went and bought her.
Luckily, my 5 gallon was just about ready.

luna
I had that happen when I saw a Cambodian female with "lipstick" at the LFS. My tank wasn't even set up at the time, so I knew better than to bring her home...but I really wanted to!

jen82
he is all I can think bout now. But one positive is that when I do finally buy a betta I'm gonna make sure I make a connection with it before buying.

LuvaBetta
Any chance you can keep him in something uncycled and do daily water changes? Then you can move him when his "real" tank is ready...

Lucy
Any chance you can keep him in something uncycled and do daily water changes? Then you can move him when his "real" tank is ready...

That's not a bad idea, LuvaBetta

jen, is there anyway you can put a divider in your 70g? Instant temporary betta home!

Since you do have already have an established tank, it won't take long to cycle the new tank.

janoue
Good morning to all my FFF's! (fabulous fish friends). I hear where you are coming from Jen. I hate it when that happens. I have stopped running errands at walmart now and get my husband to go because I always end up with new fish!!!
Jan

COBettaCouple
Yea, even if you get a 2.5g for now and use Prime for water conditioner with daily water changes.. you could bring him home. I know it's not the best way to bring home a Betta, but we've done that when we saw one that just called out to us like that.

jen82
ok so I filled up the 7 gal earlier and have a cut a swatch of filter stuff from my big tank and put it in the betta tank filter. Also have a stocking with some gravel in, in the water. Am gonna go back to lfs 2moro to get him, a cave, some smooth gravel or marbles and a live plant. Anything else I should add to the shopping list?

Barbrella
Anything else I should add to the shopping list?

Frozen bloodworms!

I have a little Critter Keeper. When I see a betta who insists on being taken home, I put him/her in the keeper and float it in my big tank until a home is ready. That way, the new one is perfectly safe and warm, yet segregated in case of illness, plus it's really cute to see their reactions when my other fish swim up to take a look.

chickadee
Good idea, Barb. I was going to say a solid one of those nurseries that you hang on the side of the tank would work. One fish store that I saw had their bettas in them instead of the cups as they wanted them in cycled water. But then again the quarantine would be broken so no go there. They have slits in them somewhere to allow for water flow so they would not be good.

The Kritter Keeper idea is great though. You just have to do water changes.

As far as the shopping list goes, no I cannot think of a thing but that little sweetie. I hope he is still there waiting for you. If he gave you a raspberry before he will probably have some sly words for you asking why you waited so long to take the hint. I am sure that you will have an answer.

Rose

jen82
he was still there waiting for me. And came straight to front of tank when I walked in. My partner say coincidence. I think not. I now have him in my hospital tank which is cycled but bare. In his tank is a smooth cave, java fern, smooth pebbles. Will he b ok in hospital tank till his is cycled. So happy. No name yet thou.

Blub
Hi!

Remember pics!

Lucy
Congrats on your new baby!
I'm happy for you and happier for your betta boy going to a good home. Something told me you'd have him home soon. lol

Barbrella
My partner say coincidence. I think not.

Definitely not coincidence. I'm sure he wanted you to take him home.

Does the tank he's in have a heater?

COBettaCouple
Congrats on your new Betta!

The main thing for him is to have water that is 78F, filtered and to protect him from ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in the water. (Prime, Amquel+)

jen82
thanks everyone. He seems happy and very feisty. I have already seem him give my cat filthy looks. He is in my hospital tank which has a sponge filter and heater. Temp is 79.5. Ammonia is 0 nitrites 0 and nitrate 15. His real tank which is bigger is decorated and cycling and I'm doin everything possible to make it quick as possible.

janoue
Congrats on the new betta! I'm so happy for you.

chickadee
He will be fine for a few weeks even. And he will appreciate the lovely home he is going to go into. He is probably so happy not to have to "hide out" from the other fishies that he is loving it already. A sponge filter and heater are all that is necessary besides some good betta food and some LOVE. Those I know you can supply in the proper amounts :;a2.

It is much more important that he goes into a cycled tank than when he goes now that he is IN one. So just be sure to get a good cycle before you move him as if he is a wee one he cannot handle the high readings. (they all are not needing them but they are especially deadly to the little ones before they are adults)

The tank conditions where he is sound fine. I would watch the Nitrates though and make sure they never get above 20 or else do a quick water change. This affects their fin development.

Rose

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FoldedCheese
Replies
Views
HannahH
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl