Head-down Swimming? Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by harleyfisch, Mar 6, 2019.

1. harleyfisch

harleyfischNew MemberMember

Hello! I have a sexually-mature female betta named Ulua! I’m a bit concerned about the way she swims. She doesn’t seem to have any of the regular swimming problems (like swim bladder) but she does tend to swim with her head down? I don’t know if this is normal, especially if it’s because she’s so fat (being full of eggs, I’ve fasted her for constipation and she was just fat and hungry) and I haven’t found much information on sexually mature female bettas. Can anyone tell me if this is typical behavior or cause for concern? Mahalo nui! ulua 1.JPGulua 4.JPGulua 2.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

She looks to be so full of eggs it's causing problems. It can happen in any female fish that can't release the eggs or reabsorb them like they should. The buildup of eggs is likely pushing on her swim bladder, causing the swimming problem.

I don't know what to do for her, I'd probably try putting a male (if you have one) in a breeder basket then putting him in her tank. When I temporarily had to place a male in a breeder basket the female that was swimming around freely was naturally drawn to him and got so into breeding mode she released a bunch of eggs on her own.

3. OP
    OP
    harleyfisch

harleyfischNew MemberMember

Oh! I don’t have any males, she’s my only fish. Are there any techniques that might help her get the eggs out on her own? She has released unfertilized eggs before, but I wasn’t home to note the conditions. Thank you for the insight! Mahalo nui!

4. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

You can try putting a mirror against the tank, she may start flaring and push the eggs out while doing so. If she can’t release the eggs then she’s probably egg bound, which doesn’t end well in most cases.

I had 2 African cichlids get egg bound, one died rather slowly even with different treatments, the other managed to tough it out and reabsorb/release the eggs.