Head bump + not moving + not eating

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ztm, Aug 3, 2015.

1. ztmValued MemberMember

Hi everyone,

I'm back from a 2 weeks holiday and my 4 years old Oranda Black Moor is about to die :'(

I left him with a 1 week holiday tab and asked a friend to drop another one after the first week. Unfortunately, after 5 days the tab was almost untouched. So I asked to put some weekend tabs, but he didn't eat them either.
    When I was back, almost all the food was there, I think he's eaten almost nothing in 2 weeks

I have started with water changes and giving peas and gel food, but he's throwing up everything after chewing it for a while. He's also not moving at all, you need to put the food exactly in front of his moutch to have him try to chew it.

Last but not least, during my vacation he developed the bump in the middle of his head you can see on the pictures.

What can I do now? He's not eaten for weeks, he's not been moving at all for a days and each time I look at him, he looks worse.
    :helpsmilie:

Extra info: he's been living in a 15g tank since the beginning. I put an over powered filter in. He used to have swimming bladder issues, so I used to feed him peas and gel food.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

As I'm sure you know, a 15 gal is way too small for him.

What are the tank's parameters? (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) It's possible that the uneaten food caused ammonia and nitrite spikes :(

3. ztmValued MemberMember

I didn't know at the beginning, so I started with 5 small fish, then I learnt a lot (also thanks to this forum) and I relocated them, as 1 is more than enough.

I upgraded the filter and tried to vacuum the gravel as much as possibile, so the water parameters have always been ok.

I guess also a temperature spike might have happened, as the house has not been refrigerated, so the temperature have been over 30° C for many days. Now the air temperature is 26-28° C as usual in summer with air conditioning.

I will let you know the current water parameters in a few hours. I immediately refreshed the water and didn't think about testing it first.

By the way, he has always eaten everything in the tank, so I think uneaten food should be the consequence of the illness, not the cause. The holiday food should be meant to release slowly, I've used it in the past a couple of times.

4. NinjaTetraWell Known MemberMember

If he's not moving, its probably just his time. So sorry!!! Not a whole lot you can do in some situations, feeding peas would be my main recommendation.

~ <-----thats one of those cool squiggly lines you do before a signature.

5. ztmValued MemberMember

He's trying to chew them, but spits them out after a while. They have always been his main food, so I don't understand :confused:

6. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Able to test your water parameters yet?

Part of the problem of housing fish in tanks that are too small is that their growth can be stunted, and they will lead shorter lives. This could be an explanation for your goldie's decline. It may also be high levels of ammonia and/or nitrites from the holiday feeder, but we won't know until you test your water.

7. ztmValued MemberMember

Water seems ok. Ammonia 0, nitrites, 0, nitrates 5 ppm, PH 8.
    Nitrates might have gone up during the two weeks and temperature too.

I know about the size issue, but he was ok before I left. Also, I was changing some water every week and he stopped eating before, he almost never ate when I wasn't there.

What might be the bump on his head? What might bring to inability to eat (as he tries, but spits everything out)?

I'm thinking about euthanazing him :(

8. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't euthanize him quite yet. Get him back on his normal feeding schedule, maybe trying some different foods.

He may not be spitting it out because he can't eat. My angels spit out food if they don't want it (but then they'll run over to the bloodworms and gobble them down). Maybe try something different to see if you can get him to eat?

9. ztmValued MemberMember

Well, he can't move AT ALL. I need to place the food EXACTLY in front of his mouth, so he can suck it in (and he seems interested in doing it). He chews for a while. Then I happen to move/turn it (as may be he's in front of a glass and I can't put the food in front of him) and he sort of coughs the food of minutes before out. Even if untouched, after a while he happens to cough things out after a while.

I have tried peas and different types of gel food, as he could not eat any more solid food without floating.

10. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You could try bloodworms or brine or mysis shrimp? You can use tweezers to hold it in front of him.

It sounds as if eating isn't the issue though. Something is stopping him from wanting to eat and move. It may be the small tank catching up to him. He might be showing signs of being stunted, and it might just be his time. Or it could be a tumor or the like (bump on his head).

Sorry I'm not more help. Keep his water pristine and do water changes often. That'll make him comfortable.

11. NinjaTetraWell Known MemberMember

If hes downright refusing to eat, and theres a bump, it could be a tumor. If I recall right, fancy goldish are particularly susceptible to tumors... Either way, its not a crazily uncommon thing in fish

~ <-----thats one of those cool squiggly lines you do before a signature.

12. lbonini1Well Known MemberMember

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's most likely a tumor...I wish we could help you more but it may be his time. Praying for your fish though!

13. RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

Do you have adequate water movement at the surface to properly oxygenate his tank? Goldie's stress at around 90F.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice