he-LLo and Welcome All!

1. FishFan Member Member

He-llo All and Welcome! I've only had a Rough Green Snake, so that's the extent of my knowledge of reptiles.
    Enjoy your visit & Visit often!

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Re: Hello and Welcome All!

I have a red-eared slider named Speedy or the Speedster.  We've had him a couple of years and he seems quite content.   ;D

5.jpg

He is the master grump!

3. FishFan Member Member

He's cute! My 8-year-old son always wanted a turtle. I heard they're smelly & just a pain in the butt to care for. Now, please tell me the details on turtle care. Thanks! :D

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Most "experts" will tell you they need a huge tank, but we have ours in a 29 gal. tank. The trick is his basking "rock" is fake and stuck to the side of the tank with suction cups. That gives him most of the tank to swim in except for the back left corner where we have a powerhead with a sponge filter on the intake with just regular home and garden rocks piled on top of each other in front of the filter for him to climb on for basking on his "fake" rock. Turtles are very messy, but this particular filter is perfect for turtles in that I have the flow set to run along side the back of the tank which forces the water to circulate all the way around the tank. I don't have the tank cycled. I merely drain the tank completely every week, and while it's draining, I clean the sponge part of the filter. Then I just fill the tank back up about halfway and he's done. Turtles are very messy so be aware of that. I don't use dechlor on his water either. He sometimes gets quite a bit of algae on his shell, so i allow the chlorine to stay in the water to help control the algae. Sometimes I feed him rosy reds to perk him up. Here's a picture of the filter I use for his tank:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=6478&N=2006+22768 I highly recommend it for a turtle tank. It makes maintenance much easier, and since a turtle tank isn't usually filled with water all the way, it eliminates the loud splashing you would get if you used a HOB filter.

5. Jason Well Known Member Member

Re: hecko and Welcome All!

wat about those little miget turtles are they easier to care for?

6. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

The midget turtles you usually see in the tanks at the pet store are probably red eared sliders like the speedster. The tank usually says they are sold for "educational purposes only", because it is illegal to sell RES outright in this country. I think when I grew up, everyone had a RES at one time. They didn't live very long because they were not properly cared for. They get quite large

7. Jason Well Known Member Member

they dont say educational purposes once I saw like 6 turtles and they were stacking on top of eachother like Yertle the Turtle

8. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Hi all,
    I had a tiny turtle once and I kept him in one of those plastic reptile aquariums.  I had him for about 6 months but he died. :'(
    Also not too long ago I found a big red eared slider in my yard.  I fed him crickets for a few days and then let him go in the pond near my house.
    I want a python or something.  One of those huge snakes like the croc hunter person.

Attached Files:

9. dano569 Member Member

i had a boa for a couple of years.they are cool but alot of work.i enjoyed mine when i had it.i gave it to a friend that had more room for it.now i'm gonna put a fish tank where it was. ::) ::)

10. Gozer_1 Well Known Member Member

Hello...........hello.......ello........ello..llo.ooooo. Hmmmm, well I thought I'd drop in and see who were rep fans around here. Just a few I see. Well I have a Red Nigerian Uromastyx. I'll put some pics up later. I have also had 1 Iguana, 1 Water Dragon and a Red Tail Boa. The Iguana was about 20 inches when she got outside (bad bad roomate experiences) and I never saw her again. :mad: I rescued the Water Dragon from a very lousy owner. They had this 3yr old Dragon in a 15 gal tank with a lightbulb, a 4 inch water dish, and some fake carpet and moss on the floor. She was about 10 inches long, she should have been about 24 inches or more. I was so sad when I first saw her. I put her in a nice sized enclosure with a huge "mini-pool" tub and, after a year, she actually started to shed some. One day my cat destroyed my lights and dug through a layer of screen and a layer of chicken wire top. Yes chicken wire. I never kept another reptile till that cat was long gone. Obviously not compatible and the cat was there first. I have since rescued a Red Tail Boa from an owner with no where to take her. She was VERY well cared for, she just needed a home. I kept her for a while but a good friend of mine loved her more than I did, so it made for a perfect match. Now its my Uromastyx. HE is a bit of a mean little turd. Spiky tail, likes to whip around. I tried to get him to calm down with handling and such ........ he wasn't having it. The best you get out of him is eating flowers out of your hand. He's a sucker for flowers. Broccoli flowers (the actual flower) especially.

Well now that I have given you all my reptile life story I guess I can stop now. I got a little carried away reminiscing. lol