He is blind, but can he be cured?

1. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Misc. Cichlids 001.jpg

Misc. Cichlids 002.jpg

Misc. Cichlids 003.jpg

I have written a previous thread about this Oscar. He was not thriving. He has not grown at all since I got him and that was 6 months. All he did was hide behind the rocks and get skinnier and sicker. It was suggested to me that he was being bullied and was afraid to come out of the corner, so I got him his own emergency tank. It is only 30 gallons (he is 1.5 inches long) but he will get a larger tank once I see him grow. He has shown some improvements. He is not afraid to swim around and I have seen him eat. But if you look at the pictures closely, one eye is red and clear, the other eye is clouded. Do you think he can see out of it? First I tried Pima and Melafix with no change. Now I am using Tetra Lifeguard (broad range medicine) with no changes yet. I am afraid he is blind in one eye. He has very strange feeding habits and acts like he can't see the food. He searches around the filters for food. I feed him exactly in the same spot everynight, but sometimes he misses the food. I know he is getting some food down. He is doing better since I got him his own tank. Do you think he is blind in one eye? Will he survive this way? Is there any other treatment for his eye? And any other information you can think to add.

FYI - His water is pristine, and I keep it at ammonia 0. nitrite 0, and nitrate under 10. I use Prime and salt in his water which I change 25% of every 2 to 3 days.:confused::):confused:

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

aww what a great looking oscar :) .....at this point, I would stop using the salt....it wont do him/her any good and can stress them more...oscars and salt are not friends....do a nice big water change also as salt will not leave the tank any other way....his eye looks more like cloudy eye and the prestine water will help that....if he is blind, he will live with it :)

I would think about making some of your own food to get some weight on him.....some good ingridients are beef heart, white fish without oils(haddock etc) shrimp, fresh veggies, a multi vitamin , some veggies like spinach, carrots, broccoli.omega one flakes and spirulina, ...throw it all in a bender with 1/2 cup of water and plain gelatin...freeze it in small ice cube tray...and use this as his main diet....you will see him put on weight in no time....good luck!

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Thank you so much!!!!

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Just an update on the Oscar. He is totally blind in one eye. But the good news is that he has adapted to it. His fins have all healed and he has put weight on. I have to feed him in one spot everyday so he knows will the food will be for his impaired eyesight. But other than that, giving him his own tank seemed to do the trick!! He is now very happy... tooling everywhere in the tank. Wendy