Hazy Water?

iFoundNemo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I changed my aquarium water a week and a few days ago. When I did, I put in a brand new filter, new gravel, and a new (plastic) plant. The water looked great for about three days until it got this odd haziness to the water. My guppies&molly sit as high as possible in the tank and my dwarf sunset platy hides in my ceramic.
Do you have any idea what could be going on with the water? Could it have any correlation to my fishes odd behavior?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
you say you put new gravel in? did you rinse it? if you didn't, or if not well enough, that could cause some haze. also, did you take out gravel to replace it with this new one? if so, you could be in a mini cycle now. your tank is 5 gallon right? check the water and let us know.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Also, did you replace your filter, or did you replace the media contained in your filter. With filter changes on top of a water change and new gravel, I'd say your tank is going through a cycle. What are your current water parameters? That could help us figure out what's going on in your tank.

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ah, sorry to say, but you just totally started your tank over (like you were starting it from day 1). You say you know about the nitrogen cycle? This is what you just started over, all the good bacteria is located in the filter media and the gravel. I'd recommend you grab some prime or amquel+ and do daily water changes with it. Do you have a test kit?

In the future, you do not need to replace your gravel or your filter unless it's falling apart. If you want to replace your filter, you should put the new filter pads in with the new filter pads for a few weeks. You should also only change about 50% of your water.

iFoundNemo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
During the process of cleaning my aquarium my entire filtration system crashed so I had to buy a new one.
Yes, I got new gravel but I washed it and let it sit in the water for a few minutes before putting it in.
My water was distilled. I buy the gallons from the store to fill my aquarium so it was completely fresh.

What do you reccomend I do now?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i'm sorry to say you shouldn't use distilled water. it lacks vital minerals a vitamins fish need. tap water is best, though you need to use a water conditioner to make it safe for the fish. it has chlorine and others.

you should get some prime, or amqel+ and do daily 30% or a bit more water changes to keep the fish safe. those things will detox toxic ammonia for 24hrs between water changes. if you don't do it, your fish will be put at risk.

the daily changes would only be until the cycle is over. then it's weekly.

at the very minimum, if you can't do a change everday, put a little prime in on the day you don't. you can dose it right into the tank water.

PS. i see you're a little overstocked. and mollies are big waste producers. do you think you could re-home the molly? they also can get a little bigger than what your tank could handle. and maybe re-home the corys?

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
iFoundNemo said:
What do you reccomend I do now?
crazedACD said:
Ah, sorry to say, but you just totally started your tank over (like you were starting it from day 1). You say you know about the nitrogen cycle? This is what you just started over, all the good bacteria is located in the filter media and the gravel. I'd recommend you grab some prime or amquel+ and do daily water changes with it. Do you have a test kit?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads