Having trouble

1. joiakimfish

joiakimfish Valued Member Member

Loosing fish .... Idk why but my fish at droping since I've started I've lost 2 cc tetras 1 red eye tetra and a ropefish every time I chaeck my water parameters they check out perfectly one this I will say is that it's hard for me to keep my temp under control and frankly it's a bit frustrating any ideas in what to do

Tank is not next to a window... My house is just hot I'll come home one day and the tank will be at 80 and them the next would be at 88 + at least that's what my thamomater strip says

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Could definitely be the fluctuating temps. Do they show any symptoms though prior to dying?

Do you have a different thermometer like a floating glass one or a digital thermometer you can check? I hear those strips are inaccurate since they also are reading the room temp. You could also place a fan next to to the aquarium to cool it down.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

4. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

With temp. I agree with the fan. If you have a lid on. remove it. I did that and added a bubbler and within a few hours my tank temp had dropped a few degrees, and by the next day it had dropped a few more even without a fan ((ended up not needing one as that brought my tank within acceptable temps)) just from evaporative cooling

EDIT: And yeah water parameters would be good :)

5. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

When I first started I asked about the strips and someone said they were good so I left it on the tank (it came with it) otherwise I would have brought a new one ... I have a heater but it almost never turns on I use to have it set at 79 and it woldent stay on for more then 5 mins if at all not

6. peregrine

joiakimfish I know mine works well. but I still have a digital thermometer in my tank. If you can get one I would suggest it. Mine actually runs double duty. It monitors my fish tank temp, but also I use it when making water for water changes to make sure the water temp is as close as possible to the current tank temp

7. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

I have a glass lid cause I was wanted a rope fish but now that he's gone I'll remove it for a while and se what happens I did have a fan over it before tho and it worked srry I'm at work so I can't give exact parameters at the moment

8. peregrine

No worries. When you get home try and get them.

Also I don't see where anyone asked this. But if they did sorry, what size tank and what other stock do you have in the tank?

9. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

If you set it at 79, could it be that it didn't stay on because the temp of the tank was already way past it? Have you tried moving the dial lower? Or maybe it's a faulty heater.

10. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Answering the rest of our questions would help :)

For now, I'd get another thermometer to double check the temp. If it's still high, unplug the heater.

11. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

Srry TexasDomer phones dying and I'm at work trying my best . Temp in the house is pritty warm I know my landlord keeps the thermostat at 75 for the whole house but I know it's hotter ... I actually turned my heater down to 76 the other day and now I haven't seen it come on at all ... It's a 125 gallon other stock

6 tigerbarbs that were my first fish
    4 red eye tetras
    1 rainbow shark and 2 candy cane tetras
    I was gonna get a butterfly pleco yesterday b I stopped myself

12. OP
    OP
    joiakimfish

I also know I should have two heaters but when I descoverd the water stayed so warm I chose to wait a lil while

and they all seemed fine this morning when it was feeding time