Having trouble with goldfish tank, betta, and molly! I think I might die... Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by riptide904, Jan 10, 2013.

1. riptide904

riptide904Valued MemberMember

I've ended up it a bit of a sticky situation...
    So I have two small fancy goldfish, Kirby and Peach, who have been living in 10 gallon tank. Last week I bought a 20 gallon (Yes, I know I'll need to upgrade again in a year or so, but I'm poor right now:( ) for them, and I was told it would probably cycle in a week or two with my old filter media from the current tank, which was set up before I knew what the nitrogen cycle was and has cycled with the fish in it over a few months.

I planned on waiting as long as needed, but this was the same day my sister convinced my mom to buy a female betta, despite my protests that we didn't have anywhere to put it.:;smack ) We thought to put it in with the tropical tank, but when we got home my molly was laying on the bottom of the tank and shaking (The shaking has since subdued as we added aquarium salt, but she still lays on the tank bottom more than usual, some advice would be appreciated...) Seeing as this would not be an safe place to put a new fish, that left only the one gallon molly fry tank (ABSOLUTELY NOT :mad: ) and the goldfish. Again, despite my warning against it, the betta ended up with the goldfish, since we figured it would only be a short time before the goldfish were out, and it doesn't get very cold in our house (yay, 80 degree winters!)

That brings us to today, when I noticed Peach, the larger of my goldies, with rips on her previously damage-free tail. I watched the three for a while as observed that Peach had no regards for the betta's personal space, pushing her around, but not attacking her. The betta would respond by lashing out but not pursuing the goldfish, making it clear that she just wanted them to stay away. This repeated multiple times before I decided I needed to figure out something quick. I wanted to move them straight to the 20G, but water tests showed that while nitrite and nitrate levels were zero, the ammonia was at .50 ppm. I could move the betta somewhere, but it would likely be a water pitcher with no filter, heating, or guaranteed safe water quality for an indefinite amount of time.

Why must I do this to myself. Why. :'(

So can anyone please help me? What should I do about this? My sister will never let me rehome the betta, and nobody else in the house cares at all about the health of any of my fish.

2. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Ugh, if only family members would leave fish buying up to us :p

It's sort of a "darned if you do, darned if you don't" situation. Given that from your description the betta clearly does NOT like living with goldies (and their temperature requirements aren't compatible either, though this is only a temporary fix anyway), if it was me, I would move the goldies to the 20, and put the betta in the 10. Do daily water changes on the 20 with Prime until it's cycled. It's not the best scenario, but which is worse - living in a cycling tank, or having your fins nipped at by an angry betta?

My two cents :)

3. OP
    OP
    riptide904

I've been thinking that moving the goldies is the best choice, since it will be easier to maintain and they survived a cycle once in a tank that's way too small for them. I don't have prime, but I have Tetra Aquasafe for Goldfish that's worked well since I got them. I would probably move them tomorrow when I have time to do I quick water change to lower the ammonia a bit, and add new water + a gallon or two from the current tank. I switched out the filter media that was it there for this part of my filter that's almost a sponge type thing, and is where most of the slime I can only think is BB lives.

I still don't know where the ammonia came from in the first place- I haven't added anything to the tank besides two amazon swords that seem to be perfectly not-dying. :confused:

4. kinezumi89

Have you checked your tapwater for ammonia? When I cycled my first tank my tapwater had 0.25ppm ammonia in it.

I'm not completely certain if it does or not, but I'd verify if Tetra AquaSafe gets ammonia and nitrite. If not, Prime is pretty cheap and lasts forever :)

No need to move water over from the old tank; it's probably pretty high in nitrates anyway since it has two goldies in the tank :p The bacteria all lives on surfaces so there won't be any in the water. As long as the temperature and pH are the same, those are the important parts.

5. OP
    OP
    riptide904

I'm about out of Tetra, I'll definitely buy some Prime next time I visit the fish store, which is hopefully tomorrow. I tested a bit on tap water, which checked out between 1 and 2 ppm. NOT GOOD.

The one thing I hate most about the situation is that my sister paid for both Peach and the betta and calls them "her fish", but didn't blink an eye or care at all when I said the adorable fishies she begged so much for were attacking each other. And she wants a pet rabbit :;smack

I'm moving the betta to a little container like the one we bought her in for the night, because I found that in the time it took for me to browse the forums she shredded the other side of the goldfish's fin even worse.

6. kinezumi89

Aww that's no good :( Well if you get Prime it will neutralize the ammonia for 24 hours at least :) Tell your sister she's a butt :p Make her do the water changes! :D

7. OP
    OP
    riptide904

I just feel so bad about Peach. Her fins were really gorgeous and shiny and long, and now it looks like someone took scissors to her. Not to mention how painful that must be :(

The betta has been safely detained in an old fry net in the goldfish tank until tomorrow. I really, really hate that fish.

8. kinezumi89

Aww I can understand :( My betta's fins are all choppy looking (they're in a divided 10 gallon but they can smell each other and have been nipping their fins; I'm separating them this weekend), and I look at pictures of how beautiful they used to be. :( They'll grow back, don't worry. :)

Be mad at your sister, not the fish :p The betta's just doing what bettas naturally do. It's like how it's easy to be mad at my cat when he scratches the couch, but it's just his natural cat instincts to sharpen his claws. (I would think the same in your position though; before I knew anything I had a betta and a pictus cat in a 10 gallon and I was mad at the pictus for nipping the betta's fins. He took a trip back to the pet store.)

9. OP
    OP
    riptide904

On that related note, is there anything I can use to help her fins heal once I move them? I used some MelaFix on my guppies when a molly attacked them (My family has a tendency for getting aggressive fish, apparently. Leo lives with my cousin now.) and they healed up pretty well only with four days of treatment, as well as fixing my other molly's popeye. I'm not sure how safe it is for goldfish though...

10. kinezumi89

11. OP
    OP
    riptide904

Okay, so I've got the fish in the 20 with some Prime. They look very different under fluorescent light, more yellow-y than orange. The betta's got the 10G to herself, and I installed a heater to keep it warm. My mother strikes again, bringing home 4 ghost shrimp since so much food gets left on the bottom of the tropical tank. I guess it's okay, though my last shrimps all died within one weekend two weeks ago, so I'm a bit worried. Wish she had sprung for the RCS, though, they're so much prettier and healthier than the ones from the feeder tank. I'm a bit worried the biggest one might be blind, he hasn't been able to find his way out of the corner of the tank and its been an hour...

12. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

You do realize that if you have food laying on the bottom of the tank, you are overfeeding (by quite a bit). Fish need less food than you would think. Due to their being cold blooded they do not burn calories producing body heat.

13. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

Well... my little stinkers are ALWAYS begging me for food... they follow me to the left or follow me to the right all the while coming to the front glass as saying YO ANTHONY WE WANT MORE FOOD then swim to the top where they know food comes then look at me again... I feed them well in the morning and by evening anything that has landed anywhere is gone and then a little treat in the evening of freeze dried shrimp... but seriously you would think by the way they act I'm starvin them lol

14. fishlover123456

fishlover123456New MemberMember

goldfish can NOT be kept with tropical fish due to there low water temp and high waste