having trouble with a brine shrimp hatchery/breeding tank

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by kidster9700, Jul 20, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Okay, so i set up a 10g and put like four packets of brine shrimp eggs in. a LOT of them were water logged, but thats not a big deal. after about 24hrs they hatched and there were a TON wow!!!! but its been 48hrs now and i hardly see any... i think they may have all died????? the water should be perfect, i let a gross old filter media thing sit in there for like two weeks then replaced it a few days before adding the shrimp eggs with a new gross filter media and supplemented with some crushed fish food flakes. i've done everything that i've read and been told works well, other than the fact that its in my closet instead of outside, and it should have been super simple. did i do something wrong or forget to do something? i think the fish food was expired if that means anything.

2. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Here is the best way that I have found for hatching the Brine Shrimp.
    You will need 2 or 3 empty and washed Coke bottles of 1 ltr in size
    Small air stone for each bottle
    Put a length of air hose through the top and connect to air pump and other end to the air stone
    1) Fill 1 bottle to within 50 cm of top with a mix of water and marine salt mix made of ratio 30 grams salt to the water.
    2) Add a pinch of eggs to water mixture, screw on the top, switch on the air pump, and put in a warm place for them to hatch ( 15 hours to 3 days - depends on source of eggs ) Note - The eggs must remain in suspension
    3) Rotate ( start new bottle ) the bottles so a fresh supply is ready every day

3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Yeah but I want them to grow to adulthood. That's why I got a tank.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

i think i'm just going to scrap the tank... i need a new grow out for fry, anyways. :/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice