Having trouble keeping angels.. 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Marc M, Mar 20, 2010.

1. M

Marc M Valued Member Member

I have an established 75 gallon freshwater w/ pearl and dwarf guoramis, assorted tetras, a pleco, corys, and platys.

A few weeks ago i introduced 2 quarter sized angels and one died within a few days. Keep in mind that the other is still doing well and is growing steadily. My LFS gave me a new one which only lasted about a week. I decided to try another, more exclusive store only to have the same experience. I have now lost a total of 4 angels within the month and only have the 1 remaining.

I am wondering if they are being harrased when I am not around by the alpha angel. I se him/her being a bit agressive with the other angels but it's usually around feeding time. Sadly, I may give up on angels and just keep the one I have. I have read they are schooling fish but this one seems perfectly content on it's own as it is always out in front of the tank and follows you when you walk by! Any thoughts?

2. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Usually when you introduce an Angel into one tank if there is a male already there he will chase the new guy and pick on him/her. If you get another one take the one you have already out and separate him/her till the new guy is feeling more at home. Move decor around to change the look for the fish when you put the other fish back again.

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

great advice from scubes but also, I find I have to acclimate new angels over an hour and a half period...they are super ph sensitive IMO and I actually bring a vial from my test kit to test their ph compared to mine...it helped a ton once I started doing that....but most definitely go by scubes advice if you get another as the current could be a bully....

4. navyscuba

Yeap I'm thinking that guy is a Male. Males have tendencies of doing that. When breeders want to give the female a break and have a good spawn they pull the male out of the tank because the females are more passive fishies.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Marc M Valued Member Member

Thanks. Do you guys think it's OK to juts keep one angel in a community tank?

6. navyscuba

My female was by herself for a good time till I found some companion for her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice