Having trouble feeding my apple snail

1. Fatecallsuponus Initiate Member

I recently bought an apple snail to help combat with algae, and it's definitely worked. Now with all the algae gone I know I need to provide more food, as he has moved on to eating my amazon swords, but I'm having a hard time trying to get him to eat. Cucumbers he won't touch, any other vegetable floats, Fish flakes he never goes for, and I'm worried about fish food rotting in my tank. Any help you can give me?
    IMG_1711.jpg

2. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

unsalted canned green beans have always worked for me but true apples like eating live plants

3. Fatecallsuponus Initiate Member

Hm, I'll definitely try that. Too big for my fish to get at them, but they should sink. Really? I've read stuff about apple snails never eating plants unless they are hungry enough, and I was so worried he was going to starve to death or something

4. Greececonvict003 Member Member

Mine is the same problem as yours! I noticed that any vegetables float.. Snails wouldn't able to reach up there. To cut it up any vegetables to cook in the hot pot for a few minutes and then let it cool. To wash with the cold water. Any vegetables will sink down to the bottom of the gravel. It works for me! Snails can smell it for it. They are moving forward to my zucchini. They just ate it so quick.

5. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I use a bbq skewer and put an uncooked zucchini on it. ALL of my snails are on it within an hour and stay on it for a few days.
    Also I hollow out a mini pumpkin and put it in the tank - they love it! My pleco loves it som much he isusually "orange" in color in a few days.

Experiment with a few raw veggies such as carrots ( may need to cook a bit though if they don't eat it right away ) or try broccoli

6. fishingdeep Member Member

Welcome to Fish Lore ! Maybe remove the shells from the peas and say how that works....

7. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

I tie veggies to a small rock. I use either a piece of thread or a rubber band. Actually its the rubber band that was on the bag the fish came in from the store. I use the same thing for leafy greens. But those i pop in the microwave for a few seconds, that way they wilt up a bit.

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

9. Fatecallsuponus Initiate Member

I definitely like the skewer idea, I think I'll go pick up some zucchini and try that one out. Maybe I'll put a few different types of veggies on the same skewer and see which one he likes. Ooo!! I love the pumpkin idea! Do you leave it in there for a few days so It doesn't rot or can it say in longer?

10. Fatecallsuponus Initiate Member

Zucchini seems to be the big favourite here for everyone! The tying thing I've tried before and it's not for me; I just end up making a big mess and can't anchor it to anything! The veggie clip looks amazing though, I'll have to pop down to the store to look for that, whenever I want to feed him lettuce or something. And thank you for the welcome, fishingdeep!

11. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

LoL I guess I am ghetto I just shove a stainless steel butter knife through my cut up cucumbers and zucchinis I don't cook them or anything just pull them out the fridge slice and stab and drop them in the tank. Never had a issue with it just make sure its stainless steal though

12. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I have left my pumpkin in the tank for no more than a week. Usually uncut, the pumpkins literally lasts for 6 + months so I wait until after the Halloween/Thanksgiving holidays to stock up on them when they are 1/2 the price. My snails love them, as does the pleco

13. kittykat0725 Member Member

I would slice a thin long piece of something you want to give him, then put gravel in the middle to hold it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

This is how I do it - the veggie pretty much stays on until its finished.

CSC_0885.jpg

15. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

Thats all i do.

16. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Here is an emample of my mini pumpkin. Usually in a few hours, its COVERED in snails ;)

DSC_0939.jpg

17. Fatecallsuponus Initiate Member

Both of your snails are so adorable, I want snails like that nowww!! The pumpkin is so cute, I'm absolutely going to try that. The big vegetable looks good too, laid there for the snails to get. Before I was always trying to get lots of little pieces, but just one big veggie is a perfect idea

18. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Just make sure if it has seeds to remove them. They don't touch them.