having trouble feeding HELP

fishcrazy99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm getting worried since my new peacock gudgeons haven't ate for two days now (just got them) and I foresee no way of figuring this out yet. I have them in a 20 gallon with 9 other danios and they are hogging the food like mad. I fed singing micro pellets, they didnt even get near the peacocks level (since their bottom dwellers), tried flake food the first day with no luck, fed a single shrimp pellet as a test and dropped it an inch from the gudgeon, no luck. The rosy danios come up put the whole thing in their mouth and take it away to go fight about it. They are INSANE. Should I start feeding them twice a day? will that even make a diffrenece!? the zebra danios aren't as crazy so I'm wondering if I should get more rosey (sold as peal) danios and move them all over to my 55 gallon. That would leave the zebras with the gudgeons.

alink

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
some fish are touchy with feed after transplanting to a new tank. Give it a few more days and see if it gets better. I've had new fish go 4-5 days before they started eating.

Some people suggest getting a turkey baster type thing and use that to get food down to its level. Have you tried frozen or live foods?

OP
F

fishcrazy99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have no way to get my hands on live food unless pet supermarket sells it which I don't think they do. I know I can get the frozen food but I don't know the first thing about feeding it.

alink

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Frozen foods are actually very easy. Now I'm saying this not knowing the feeding requirements of your fish so research that before you do it.

Feeding Frozen Foods
1. Get a sterile cup and put some tank water in it
2. Drop a frozen cube of food (bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc)
3. Let the food sit in the tank water for at least 30 mins so it is entirely thawed.
4. Dump a little in the tank. Go slow and make sure you don't overfeed. Only add a little at a time. With the stocking you said you have you will surely have leftovers, but that is okay as it can be refrozen for another day. When using leftovers, make sure it is completely thawed and even let the cup sit in the water like you would a bag to acclimate a new fish. Then will help thaw it and get it warm.

It should be noted that frozen foods should be a treat for most species and only be offered on occasion (1-2 times a week). Check your fishes nutritional requirements to decide on options.

OP
F

fishcrazy99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok thanks that helps alot! Ive seen the frozen food requirements before and I'm thinking frozen brine shrimp will be my best bet. I will get some as soon as I can

OP
F

fishcrazy99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I removed the pearl danios and I got frozen brine shrimp, They still won't eat. They started to go towards it but then they stopped. I will try again in the morning.

OP
F

fishcrazy99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I only saw the gudgeon eat 1 shrimp but in the meantime I accidentally over fed my danios

New Threads