Having second thoughts...

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was originally going to get some livebearers to go in my tank with my 2 ghost cats and my 2 silver dollars, but I'm thinking maybe a Cichlid, possibly a gourami.

Can anyone recommend some semi-agressive/peaceful cichlids that would go ok in this tank? It is a 35 gal, filter is 170GAL per hour, tank is 77F, pH 7.2, Nitrates 10. Even my ghost cats can get a bit aggressive sometimes. I have fake plants in my tank. I had wanted to get real plants but didnt want my Dollars to eat them. If I don't get a Cichlid it'll be livebearers, and if I don't like the livebearers, then a single Opaline/blue/2 spot Gourami. Thank you for any advice you can give me, I appreciate your opinions.
Brianna

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know that German Blue rams are peaceful cichlids and they stay at about 2-3" long. They are also very beautiful.
Tom

Terry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Same with the Bolivian Rams - they don't bother my other fish in my community tanks. But, I don't have any ghost cats or silver dollars - mine are in with Platys, Cories, Neons, danios & mollies. I might be more worried about any agressiveness from your other fish, based on what you said.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks for your input. i have decided against cichlids. i was however looking at an african dwarf frog... what would i feed it? and how do i care for it? thinking of getting either gourami and frog or livebearers and frog... guess ill wait till i go to the lps on sat :

my mother really wants livebearers but i want something with personality.

any input on the african dwarf frog would be nice. thank you
Brianna

Terry

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had 2 of the dwarf frogs a couple months ago, and lost both. I think it was because they need live food, or a way to put some flake or frog bites food in front of them so they can find it. My fish in the tank would always get the food before the frogs. I think some people have figured out how to feed them though.

By the way - there's an amphibians part of the forum with some information on the frogs. Here's a link to that section:

Check there

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i dont know anything about cichlids but if you do get livebearers try sailfin mollys...theyre so beautiful and exotic looking i think
37.jpg

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't forget, Angelfish are cichlids... and my personal favorites. They're not to aggressive, and one of the most beautiful fish there is.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Livebearers have quite a bit of personality and a huge variety of colors between mollys, platys, guppies, swordtails.. but unless you get all males, be ready for pregnant ones and fry.

Angelfish and the African Cichlids are my favorite cichlids, but i'm not sure offhand of how aggressive the africans would be. Probably more aggressive than Angels.

Rasboras are also some beatiful fish if your LFS or LPS carry any. X-ray tetras (aka Pristella Tetra) can be a good community tank addition and fun to watch.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
Livebearers have quite a bit of personality and a huge variety of colors between mollys, platys, guppies, swordtails.. but unless you get all males, be ready for pregnant ones and fry
but if you get all females you wont get fry either.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lolagurl said:
FLBettaCouple said:
Livebearers have quite a bit of personality and a huge variety of colors between mollys, platys, guppies, swordtails.. but unless you get all males, be ready for pregnant ones and fry
but if you get all females you wont get fry either.
we got 4 females and have fry.. very often the females will get pregnant at the LFS/LPS and a month or so (up to around 45 days) later - fry.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
then how do u know if a mollie is pregnant my mollie has a fat tummy does that mean it is?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lolagurl said:
then how do u know if a mollie is pregnant my mollie has a fat tummy does that mean it is?
Most likely she is. Mollys breed even easier than platys. If you could post a current pic of her, we could confirm it for sure, but it is the most likely reason for her fat tummy.

The less likely thing is overeating. How long has her tummy been fat? Has she had a lot to eat lately? Watch her tummy to see if it goes down any between now & about 12 hours or so from now. She might have eaten a bit too much (our platys sometimes do) and gotten a fat tummy.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok ill check...her tummy has been big for about 2 months now since i got her..but they can hold onto her babies a while cant they...she eats a lot

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lolagurl said:
ok ill check...her tummy has been big for about 2 months now since i got her..but they can hold onto her babies a while cant they...she eats a lot
Hmm.. well, their gestation period is about 4 weeks. They can take longer to drop the first batch but not that long. She could have aborted a batch if the water conditions were off any or if she was stressed or if she feels crowded. The page for mollys here at fishlore say 20 gallon. or she could have eaten what fry she had. you might get a patch of fry hiding grass for the tank if her tummy doesn't go down after a fasting time. she could even go a full day no problem if you want to really check & see if her stomach doesn't go down any.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
well i dont really want her to be pregnant. i know mollies do require more space but at least i didnt listen to big als. i thought they were knowledgable but when i bought a 5 g they said i should put 5 mollies in there..luckily i wsnt that stupid,lol

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea, a lot of pet stores just want to sell, regardless of the truth. Well good luck with her and i hope she's just a good eater then.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
well once i see her shes not a straight fish has a lil pooch but not as big as i see inpics of female mollys.......thanx ;D

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Killifish are beautiful, peacefull fish, but tend to dwell at the top. Most stay in the 2-3 inch range and prefer to be in pairs. They can be a bit expensive, but they are generally easy to care for.

starshine

Reaction score
I know I'm joining this conversation a little late, but...ADF's are too cool! I have three, and they are quite hardy. They eat fish flakes, but you do have to throw in some bloodworms or brine shrimp every now and again. They LOVE bloodworms! And you can only really feed them every few days because they don't know when to stop and will eat themselves to death. I had them in my original tank with goldies and an eel, then did a switcheroo...they like the tank with the small fish better, less competition for food. And yes, to get them to eat (only initially, after they started they figured it out on their own and I never had to handfeed them again) I had to handfeed them...actually take a couple of bloodworms in my fingers and put it right in front of them. I love my froggies so much...eventually, when I can get another tank, I'm going to do species-only with ADF's and breed them. They are a good choice, and very amusing!

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks, I actually got three platys. The ADF's are def on my to-get list sometime.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom