Having quite a bit of problem.... 75 Gallon Tank

1. GouramiGirl1221 Well Known Member Member

I just updated my aquarium information so that my stocking list is up to date. I'm in the process of phasing out the rainbow fish from my 75 gallon tank. My best friend's dad offered to buy them from me because they had gotten so much much prettier than what the look in the store, and since I'm a broke college kid I couldn't really tell him no, as he was offering to pay quite a bit for them. So, on to the point of the post...

As I'm phasing out the rainbows I'm also trying to find fish to replace them so my tank doesn't look so empty. I'm encountering problems with my Leopard Ctenopoma. When I first stocked my tank she was much smaller and not anywhere near as aggressive as she is now, so she had been leaving everyone alone since she had "grown up" with them. I tried adding some rather large rosy barbs this past weekend, and after I watched her literally chase one down and eat it I removed the rest and put them in another one of my tanks.

So, any stocking suggestions? I briefly considered silver dollars until I realized that they would completely destroy my plants. My main points are that they can't destroy my plants and they can't harass my black ghost knife (since my gourami died he's become my new favorite:p). Any ideas would be appreciated...I can't seem to think of anything.

2. kribensis keeper Member Member

bristslenose
    red tailed black shark
    another gourami
    another leopard ctenopoma
    if you dont like this list you colud go and look forsome videos of the fish you are having problems with and see what they are kept with in the video

3. GouramiGirl1221 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the response! I guess I should have been more specific though...I was hoping for another group of schooling fish, or something that I could "make" a school of (just an example, rams aren't really schoolers but you can have many of them in a tank without too much hassle).

I've tried the BN plecs and they absolutely destroyed my plants...once I finally found a home for them I literally had to start from scratch again with my amazon swords. I did have a red tail shark that I had "adopted" that had some sort of spine deformity that I think led to his recent death. I'm hoping to get a rainbow shark soon, but my LFS hasn't had them in stock for a while (I also haven't been able to check in consistently, which is probably most of the problem). I've tried other gouramis, the last of which was a thick lip variety that my opaline picked at until he refused to eat or come out...once I moved him to another tank it took him a week to start eating again and months before he'd come out with a human close to the tank. I hadn't thought about another leopard ctenopoma though...that will be something I look in to.

Any other ideas? I love options :)

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Leopard Ctenopoma will eat ANYTHING they can catch..they are total predators...the bigger they get, the more aggressive they get...they grow fast, as you have seen and are nocturnal predators...they literally stalk their prey when its dark...I dont think any schooling fish belong with them ...

5. kribensis keeper Member Member

hope you find what you are looking for goood luck

6. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Adding a shoaling fish, most are babies when you get them, the perfect size for her to eat. I think the best thing to do is find a new home for her so you can stock. But you probly love her.

I would like to add if it OK, is that you need to get more YoYo Loaches and Zebra Loaches for the lone ones you have so they have some friends to hangout with. :)

7. GouramiGirl1221 Well Known Member Member

She's really not all that aggressive with my current stock...like I said, probably because she grew up with all those fish. I knew coming into this she would be aggressive...I was actually surprised that the rainbows worked since they are so peaceful and she's the complete opposite. I may get a couple more yoyo loaches...my current LFS doesn't stock the zebras...that's a lone one left over from an old LFS that I used to go to that I have since realized carries sick fish...somehow this one survived.

I guess I'll keep searching...maybe the LFS will randomly get another fish I've never heard of that might work with her (lol, that's how I got my chalceus). Thanks for the input guys!