Having issues: melt and hair algae :(

bermese2002

I started dosing ferts to my tank about a month ago on the suggestion of someone on here. At first everything was going well and my plants were thriving but I've run into a few problems.

Firstly, my dosing schedule. I have added Seachem tabs to the sand next to each plant but no closer than 6 inches apart. I also dose a capful once a week when I do my water change. My tank is 240l.

Since starting to dose ferts my crypt has started growing which it wasn't before and my water wisteria which I added at the same time is growing very fast.

However, I now have hair algae which I have NEVER had before:

And my Crinum Calamistratum is turning yellow strand by strand and melting away.

So I'm not really liking the ferts at the moment but I don't want to just stop using them. I don't think I'm using them correctly though and I want to sort out the kinks before I set up my next tank and have the same problems...

Also, any ideas on how to get rid of the hair algae?

TexasDomer

Flourish shouldn't be causing the melt (or algae for that matter). Are you dosing Excel?

beau

By thee power of thy FishLore, I summon TexasDomer!

I notice you've been tagging Texas (and Anders) in a large number of threads - I'd recommend allowing them to find threads to answer on their own as they are very capable and I'd imagine it's getting annoying being notified all the time. I believe they both use the Unread section so they won't miss threads.

For the OP, what time period are the lights are currently on? Are you currently using Excel? I would wipe off as much algae as you can, up the amount of Excel you are using (or start using it daily if you aren't), and cut back or split up the lighting period. I don't think ferts would cause the yellowing of the one plant, but I'll let someone else chime in on that...

bermese2002

My lights, two T8 bulbs, are on for 4 hrs from 8-12 and then 5 hrs from 4-9. I think, I'm not home at the moment so I can't check but it's something like that.

I'm dosing Seachem Flourish comprehensive, not the Excel one. Should I be using Excel? I didn't think that I needed the liquid CO2.

TexasDomer

I was thinking Excel might be the cause.

Plants like that one and crypts are sensitive to changes. The addition of ferts should not kill your plants, but they may be melting due to the change in conditions. If that's the case, they should recover in a few days and the melting should stop.

If nothing else has changed other than you adding ferts and they were doing well before, I would expect they'll stop melting soon.

bermese2002

It's been about a month since I started adding ferts, is that a normal period for plants to adjust?

Yeah, the only changes I've made is adding ferts and I had nearly all the plants for a year before hand doing really well.

Okay I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully the Crinum will stop melting once it gets used to the new conditions.

It terms of the hair algae what is the best course of action to remove it permanently once I have removed what I can?

bermese2002

So I just got home after a weekend away and my tank is worse! I'm so upset

My glass is now covered in a dusting of algae as well as the other problems.

Please can someone offer me some advice on what to do?

In summary:

My lights are on for 10 hrs a day in two periods.

I use Seachem Flourish comprehensive once a week following the bottle instructions

I have Seachem root tabs in the sand and they have been in there a month

I changed my bulbs to new ones a couple of weeks ago, they are now an Arcadia Freshwater tropical bulb and an Arcadia Original. Here is a link about the bulbs, it doesn't give much information:

Please help! I hate how my tank looks at the moment and I'm wishing I had never started adding ferts

pipirose

Can we see more pictures of how it looks now?

bermese2002

The lights are off now for the night but I can take some more pictures after work tomorrow.

Sorry, I don't like turning the lights on when the room is dark because I think it shocks the fish

TexasDomer

So I just got home after a weekend away and my tank is worse! I'm so upset

My glass is now covered in a dusting of algae as well as the other problems.

Please can someone offer me some advice on what to do?

In summary:

My lights are on for 10 hrs a day in two periods.

I use Seachem Flourish comprehensive once a week following the bottle instructions

I have Seachem root tabs in the sand and they have been in there a month

I changed my bulbs to new ones a couple of weeks ago, they are now an Arcadia Freshwater tropical bulb and an Arcadia Original. Here is a link about the bulbs, it doesn't give much information:

Please help! I hate how my tank looks at the moment and I'm wishing I had never started adding ferts

It's been about a month since I started adding ferts, is that a normal period for plants to adjust?

Yeah, the only changes I've made is adding ferts and I had nearly all the plants for a year before hand doing really well.

Okay I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully the Crinum will stop melting once it gets used to the new conditions.

It terms of the hair algae what is the best course of action to remove it permanently once I have removed what I can?

I really don't think it's the ferts. They should not be killing your plants.

Lower your lighting to 8 hours - 10 is probably causing the algae problems.

I would blame the melting on the change in lighting. Doesn't mean the lights are bad (can't really tell about the Arcadia Original), but it's still a change.

bermese2002

Do you think the lighting is too much or not enough?

I'll change the schedule tomorrow so that the lights are only on for 8hrs. I'm going to be doing my water change tomorrow aswell, should I try and scrub off as much of the algae as possible? I'll take photos first.

TexasDomer

I don't know enough about the light to answer that, sorry.

Yes, remove as much algae as possible and then do a large water change.

bermese2002

Sorry for the delay in an update. I didn't get round to cleaning yesterday as I got home from work late. After taking pictures of the tank I may have over exaggerated how bad it was. Still, it is getting worse so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for so many pictures, it's hard to get pictures of the algae on the glass. I think I'm going to change the pinkish bulb, I just don't like the pink hue. It's supposedly good for plants though so I'm not sure. What do you think?

bermese2002

My other worry is that I'm currently seeding a sponge filter in this tank which is going to be moved over to the other tank this weekend for a betta arriving Saturday. Can I expect I'll have issues in the new tank aswell?

TexasDomer

Have you checked out Dolfan's post for algae problems? I can find the link if you can't.

bermese2002

No, I haven't seen it. The link would be great if you can find it Thank you!

TexasDomer

It's stickied in the algae section of the forum, under "More freshwater aquarium topics." Let me know if you can't find it!

MikeRad89

My guess would be that the lack of carbon is actually causing your issues.

The excess ferts you're adding for your plants are being used by algae, as the algae is able to process the available CO2 in the water much faster than most aquatic plants, rendering it much better at absorbing the nutrients in the water column.

Begin dosing Seachem Excel and you'll see your algae growth stop and your plants take off.

Make sure to start with a low dose of Excel. I like to start with half the recommended dose everyday for a week with sensitive plants in the tank. Anacharis and vallisneria are two species known to melt if excel is dosed full strength too quickly, but ramping up the dosage slowly should eliminate any issues.

bermese2002

Do you have to dose everyday? I'm quite often away over the weekend so it would be better if I could keep it consistent.

beau

I believe daily would be ideal for dealing with algae, but every other day would be fine as well, and I don't think it would matter much if you missed the weekends.

bermese2002

So half a dose everyday? How long should I do half a dose, and should I go up to a full dose from there or 3/4?

Should I still be dosing the flourish comprehensive once a week as well?

EDIT: also, will my shrimp be okay with the excel? Or is that only an issue if I overdose the tank?

TexasDomer

I would start with 1/4 to 1/2 the dose and slowly work your way up to a full dose in 3-4 weeks. Never do the loading dose though. As long as you don't overdose, your shrimp should be fine.

Keep dosing Flourish. You need to make sure the plants have the ferts they need.

bermese2002

loading dose?

TexasDomer

If you read the back of the bottle, it'll tell you to do a larger dose in the very beginning (if I'm recalling correctly). Don't do that larger dose.

bermese2002

Ah okay thank you the bottle arrives tomorrow so I didn't know what you were taking about

I'll keep you updated on how everything goes

tjander

No disrespect meant but I want to share a personal experience. Please be very careful with Shrimp and Excel, I kept killing my shrimp when I used excel daily even at 1/2 dose. I now use excel at half dose two or three times per week but not more then that and the shrimp seem to be doing fine. Plants are in my opinion just getting by but that's something I am working on. But I firmly believe that excel daily is what was killing my shrimp.
Again this is my personal experience and yours may be different...

TexasDomer

I overdosed my Excel for one of my tanks (on purpose) and it killed a few of my shrimp as well But I didn't have any issues when I dosed as instructed and I haven't heard of anyone killing their shrimp from a normal or half dose. I'm sorry that happened to you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jocelyn Adelman
Replies
Views
Cody
Replies
Views
KeeperOfASilentWorld
Replies
Views