90 Gallon Tank Having a weird new tank cycle

ALS

So i started a new tank (90 gal) with a large forza canister filter, lights off, uv off, temp at 80f. I started the tank up and started feeding it daily, after 3 days i added a large amount of existing media from my established tank to speed up the cycle. I had been over feeding the donor tank for the last 2 months to bolster the bacteria colony in prep for the transfer. Now i'm a week into the cycle and something that i've never seen is happening, i have around 2ppm of ammonia and 20 to 40 ppm of nitrates. 0 nitrites. I have always done new tanks with the seeding method and its never skipped nitrites let alone had ammonia and nitrates at the same time. I usually see a full cycle in less than a week doing it this way so i'm not sure what is different. I dont really need advice on how to finish the cycle, i know it will complete on its own, i'm more just curious if anyone else has seen this and what the cause was.

Thanks all!

Azedenkae

Presuming the readings are correct, and that you have zero or negligible amounts of nitrate in your tap water (or whatever water you use for the tank), then the explanation would be that you have both ammonia- and nitrite-oxidizing microorganisms already, probably plenty of both as expected, hence any ammonia converted to nitrite is probably immediately converted to nitrate. However, you have so much ammonia being produced that 1. your nitrate is increasing pretty rapidly, and 2. despite the ammonia consumption, there's still enough that you can actually read it as 2ppm. Though yeah, that would require quite a bit of ghostfeeding - which I am not sure if you did or not. If you ghostfed minimally and there's no other source of ammonia, then that'd be a bit weird.

ALS

I've been feeding pretty heavily. My tap water is extremely neutral in everyway, from seeing other posts looks like I'm pretty lucky in that regard

Azedenkae

Yeah, sounds like it. :D

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cody
Replies
Views
Katie Dawn
5 Gallon Tank Cycling new tank
Replies
Views