Having a really hard time sexing my betta

1. slashgash Member Member

I got a baby betta from petco about a month ago. Im having a really hard time sexing him/her. Ive never seen it flare so I cant go by watching it flare and look for a "beard". What I have noticed in the month Ive had it is: Its fins are getting pretty long. It has really long ventral fins. As it ages its color is getting brighter. When I first got it its body was pretty light colored and it had horizontal lines running across the body. Now its getting quite bright and I rarely see the lines anymore, though they are still there. Ive added a picture, however its pretty poor quality. Taken with a cell phone. Plus, the little bugger never stays still so is hard to photgraph.[​IMG]

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Attached Files:

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It's really hard for me to tell from the picture, but it looks like it may be a male Plakat. If it is indeed a Plakat, then long ventral fins would indicate it is a male.

4. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Well, I was going to add that it looked like my old female, Ginger. She had really lovely long fins.

Male - 1
    Female - 1

5. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I vote crossdresser...... of course, you can always get us a better picture and we can go for a more educated guess. :;jaws

6. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, it's hard to tell from that picture. I've seen males and females that look like that. Do you know what type it is?

7. slashgash Member Member

Im not sure what kind it is. I got it from petco and all it said was baby betta. Here are some more pictures.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Looks Female to me. What does everybody else think?

9. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I still say it looks like a male plakat to me.

10. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

What is this big thing with "baby" bettas all of a sudden? The stores are acting like it's an entirely new species or something....... silly moronic people. When it's 5 years old, are we still supposed to call it a baby betta? :;fru

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

To me, the finnage doesn't look right for a plakat.

12. slashgash Member Member

lol. So basically my betta is a he/she. I guess when it gets bigger ill be able to tell better

13. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I'm voting female. Body shape looks like every single female betta I've ever had.

14. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I agree.

15. TropicalBettaFreak Initiate Member

It looks like a female to me!
    I just bought 4 females from PETCO and my smallest one looks a lot like this one.

I've heard people have been having problems with those baby bettas. Keep us updated on how shes doing!

16. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

I still say it looks female :D

17. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Oh what the heck, just name it "Lola" and be done with it.

(Actually, for that to make sense you need to know the song Lola by the Kinks)

18. jbdub Member Member

Young males and females can sometimes look similar but I think you've got a lady here

:;betta

19. slashgash Member Member

lol I know the song "Lola". I named (her, i guess) Uno because its a gender neutral name and theres only one of her.