Having a hard time trying to feed my common pleco.

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by allaboutfish, Dec 11, 2012.

1. allaboutfish

allaboutfishWell Known MemberMember

So every time i throw in an algae wafer one of my cichlids eat it whole or a congo tetra takes it and runs off so i barely ever can get one to the bottom of the tank. Any suggestions? I was thinking of just getting a veggie clip and feeding him zuccini.

2. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Veggie clip helps.

If I need to get a bottom feeder fed, with greedy fish around. I will scatter multiple wafers around the tank, while it is dark. Usually works pretty well for me.

3. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I don't have any problems with my plecos once they figure out the cues to feeding time (the hood being opened and closed). They shoulder right in and get their wafers.

I know Ken sticks an algea wafer in a peice of zucchini, that way the other fish fill up on zucchini and not th wafers.

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yup. It can take then some time, but they get it.

The key to making sure that all the fish get their share is to feed small foods. It's much harder for fish to hog the food when there are 50 little pellets in the tank, versus a couple wafers.

Since most plecos are nocturnal, I would feed the wafer before you go to bed - after the lights have been out for a while.

5. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Ok ill try it. I have pretty small wafers. I just dont wanna over feed.

6. plecodragonWell Known MemberMember

You can stab your zuchinni chunk or slice with a stainless steel spoon, it will sink to the bottom. You can string the spoon with a piece of string and a cork so you can remove it easier, or I just use my algae scrapper handle to get the spoon out later. I found that veggie clips are good but with heavier items like zuchinni they can fall off the side of the tank or in my case I tried to open the teeth up too much and they break.

7. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Of be scared the fork would have some soap on it or something.

8. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

how big is your cichlid? id get bigger wafers, hikari wafers is what i use there pretty good sized.

common plecos are big but with my smaller fish corys, yoyos, bn pleco. i have a tupperware container i cut some little doors in so they can get in but bigger fish cant. i drop all the food in there and take them out when there done.

i always try to take out wafers so they dont make a mess. have you tried to put the wafer right up to his mouth? iv seen people feed there by hand before plecos before. if it wont scare the pleco to much you can use a net to scare the other fish away tell he gets it.

9. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Akari is correct and I stuff the zucchini slice with wafers and catfish sticks and use plant anchors to weigh the zucchini so that it sinks to the bottom. This gives my Pleco a chance to eat before the food is stolen by other fish. Works great for my fish. :)

I also have been stuffing Earthworm Sticks into the zucchini and the Pleco's love it.

Ken

10. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

I'll try the zuccini thing. Thanks!

11. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Is zuccini by itself a good food for him? When i put algae wafer in the cichlids attack it. If i dont they leave it alone.

12. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Never mind they go after the zuccini too.

13. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

That's what I did when I had my pleco, my goldfish love algae wafers, so, I'd put a wafer on either side and one in the middle, worked out pretty well :)

14. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

They go for all of them!! They even went after the zuccini when i put it on a fork.

15. Mrs.Price

Does your pleco have his own little cave or hiding spot? Another thing I would do was to reach my arm down into the tank and strategically place his wafer inside of his cave, the fish never bothered him there, they knew to stay away from his lair! Have you tried this?

16. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Yup they still get it. His so big he needs a big cave so they can fit in it.

17. Mrs.Price

I hate to say it, but maybe it's time to re-home the pleco into his own tank?

18. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

I think im gonna try the veggie clip and maybe try some bigger wafers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice