Having a bad night :(

1. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

I came home tonight to find that my 118 gallon tank is leaking all over my living room :( I bought it used off of craigslist, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this happened. I am so upset. I don't know anyone who is capable of re-sealing the tank, and I cannot afford to replace it with a tank of equal size. I got all of my fish out and into rubbermaid containers for the time being.

I am going to try to sell this set up and hopefully someone who knows how to fix it or wants to use it for a reptile will get some good use out of it. I am going to use the money to buy a 90 gallon new (with a warranty) to replace it. This means that I am going to have to rehome several fish :( I just don't want to risk spending the money on another craigslist tank and have this same thing happen again. Also, the Uhaul to transport the tank was expensive and I can't afford that expense either.

I am going to re-home the cichlids in my 75 gallon besides my pair of Nics since I am not all that attached to the others. I will probably move my Uaru and Salvini from my 118 to the 75 with my nics since I really want to keep them both.

Now the hard part... I am left with the following fish, and I am not sure what mix will fit in a 90 gallon tank.

1 Oscar
    1 Vieja Synspillum
    1 Pearsei
    1 Rotkeil Severum

I already know that I will have to re-home my Pearsei since they get 16 inches long which is way to big for a 4 foot tank. I am not willing to give up my Severum, so he will go in the 90. I am wondering if I can get away with the Oscar, Severum, and Vieja Synspillum in the 90 gallon if I have excellent filtration (2 AC110's). Any feedback on this would be great.

I am just so bummed you guys. I waited so long to get this setup up and running and now I am already tearing it down.

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry miss MTS :(!!

Is it something that could just be fixed with aquarium sealant - maybe just corroded seals or something?

I would be heartbroken in your situation. I'm sorry :(

3. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation, MissMTS. Is it a crack or bigger? Wish I could just swing by to help but... Please keep us updated. You'll be in our thoughts.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello MissMTS. So sorry to hear about your tank problems. I wish I had a quick fix for you. Your experience is exactly why I went "new" for my 265g with a life time warranty. I said many a prayer the first night I filled it to test it. At least with a new tank and warranty should something happen you can take it back and have someone to fuss with! Not to mention the $ loss and being able to recoup it.
    Ken

5. scatty Member Member

Ah Kate, I'm so sorry :console:

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( That really stink Kate. Leaking is always a fear, especially with a used tank.
    Best of luck. :console:

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;groupim so sorry kate..i know how excited you were for this tank !!
    do you know where the leak is? as its not hard at all to reseal.....of course unless its on the bottom or sides of the tank..if its in an already sealed sides, its very easy....
    otherwise, with good filtration, and your talent on fish keeping, you can get away with the oscar, severum and vieja ....you might just not be able to have a ton of bigger, taller, harder decorations as the norm...driftwoods and rocks persay....good luck my friend!!!!!! we are thinking of you!!!!

8. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

:;group Thanks so much everyone. Its 4:00am here and I can't sleep because I am just so stressed about all of this. I feel so bad for my fish in the plastic tubs right now, and I am not only concerned about getting the new tank up and running, but I'm also concerned about selling the old tank quickly to make room for the new one.

Hi Ken,
    You are so right. I really wish I had waited and purchased a new tank because with the money I paid for this one and the money I'll be spending on the new one, I could have bought a 6 foot set up new :( At least now I'll have the peace of mind because of the warranty. I am so bummed right now, but I guess you live you learn.

Thanks so much Shawnie :;group That's good to hear. I am going to price tanks as soon as the stores open, and I might be able to go with a 120 (still 4 feet but deeper which will help) instead of a 90, but I'll just have to see what the cost is like. I'll be so happy if I can keep my vieja because I just love that fish. I am sure I'll have to rehome my Pearsei since he'll get to be 16 inches and a 4 foot tank is way too small for a fish that size. The leak on the tank looks like its in the silicone along the back bottom end of the tank on the right side (where the bottom glass meets the back glass). I thought of trying to fix it myself, but I was just envisioning doing it wrong and ending up with a busted tank and a flooded living room. Thanks so much for the advice my friend :;group

9. mare2009 Well Known Member Member

Ahhh darn Kate, thats such a terrible outcome for anyone. To re-home your fish due to tank failure :( Are there any glass shops, or even boat shops in your area that might be able to fix the tank? ( as in marine yards). Im so sorry you have this happening to you. Good luck wishing you a speedy and 'thrifty' resolution.

10. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Oh, this is an awful problem...so sorry!!
    Ken's suggestion is the best...but in an emergency situation it can be a finacial burden.
    In your search for a new tank, if can't find what you want, maybe reconsider repairing it??...instead of being pressured to just get a big tank.

How long is the leak area?...I have repaired smaller tanks..For a leak area on a larger tank would be just a larger bead of caulk. If the leak area is short the repair should work fine....if it's long then you might have a structural problem and better to buy a newbee.

Even though the caulk beads on a tank are flexible, everytime a tank is moved, there is some stress on the glass and seams.

11. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks mare :group I might call a few custom aquarium companies and aquarium maintanance companies tomorrow and see if any of them would be willing to do this kind of repair.

Thanks for the advice Ted :) From what I can tell, the leak area is about 12 inches long. I am not sure if that is easy to repair or not. I am not that handy of a person, and I don't want to end up flooding my house because I didn't do it right. Could I just put silicon over the area? Would I need to remove the old silicon first? I have never done anything like this before, so I have no clue what I am doing.

12. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

IME, no leak is easy to repair, but it's certainly doable. Old silicone doesn't adhere well to new, so you'll have to strip every seal with a razor blade (get it super super clean), clean the stripped areas with rubbing alcohol, and reseal with new silicone. Use plenty and spread it out with your finger (I'd suggest wearing gloves). If you're worried about how it looks, you can tape off lines in the tank and remove the tape while the silicone is wet for a straight edge.

JMO, but I would not attempt to just patch. If you're going to try and fix it, strip it and do the whole thing. I've resealed a tank before and I'm far from what you'd call "handy"... it's a pain, but you can do it! If money is tight it may be the way to go- even if it doesn't work out, it will have just cost you effort and whatever the silicone costs. If it does work, you've saved a few hundred dollars. Again, this is JMO... I'm really sorry to hear you have a leaker, that's never fun!

13. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks so much for the advice Harpua :) I looked up resealing tanks online as well, but the whole process just looks so daunting and I need to get my fish into a tank asap.

I have gotten the situation sorted out, thank goodness. I called a couple companies to see how much it would cost to reseal the tank, but the cost of having someone do it to a tank this size, is the same cost as buying a new one. Soooo, I went to my LFS to see what I could figure out with getting a new tank. I was planning on going with a 90 gallon with a plain stand, but the guy that works there took pity on me and gave me a great deal on a 135 that will fit on my current stand. I am having it delivered tomorrow, so my fishies will be back in their home soon. I am so relieved that I don't have to get rid of any of them. I adore all of these guys and was so upset with the thought of giving any of them up. Thanks everyone for all of the support and for being here for me :;group

14. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Oh no kate! :( i feel so bad :( wish there was something you could do.

You could always try and re seal it... the process takes less than 3 days. Just go to home depot, grab a couple tubes of sillicone (make sure it isnt industrial) and when you get home with a razor blade scrape off ALL of the old sillicone. Make sure you get rid of all of it, as when you apply the new sillicone it wont seal that great. Squish the tube of sillicone and go in a straight line. Then, with your index finger and your middle finger together, place your fingers on top of the sillicone, pushing it and spreading it all across the side. like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHM3ldgdGl4

oh kate i feel so bad for you :( i would be devastated if that happened to me. I hope the stuff i wrote down helps you.

15. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

IMO a 12" leak is pretty big...just as recommended above..you will need to clear the old caulk away from the leak area plus a bit more...clean it really well, alchol will do that. Then apply the caulk bead at the joints and level (spread it along the seam) it with your finger. If you wet your finger tip, the caulk won't stick to you so bad. Then needs to cure before adding water back to it. Actually I believe intructs are on the tubes...follow the manufacturers instructions. Any neighbors or friends that have ever caulked a bathtub??...they could be a great help.

16. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Kate, I'm so glad you got it resolved and you won't have to re-home any of your fish. We'll be thinking about you:;group

17. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

:;group Thanks BB! I'm relieved as well.

Ted and Tony, thanks for such great advice. Luckily I got it resolved and will be getting a replacement tank (thanks to the nice guy at the LFS) :)

The guy who is delivering my tank called me last night and said he won't be able to deliver it until friday morning. I was so bummed. I didn't want to leave my fish in the rubbermaid tubs any longer, so I added 5 of them to my 75 gallon, and my oscar to my 70 gallon. So basically, my tanks are extremely overstocked until Friday when my new tanks come. I am going to do daily WC's on the 75 so that nitrates don't get to high. It's such a headache, but I'm glad I got it resolved.

18. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Oh kate, glad you got it figured out :)
    :;group

lucky you... instead of getting a 118 you get a 135... :nono:
    LOL

19. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Lol, thanks Tony :p I guess there's always a silver lining. The 135 is only 3 inches taller, so I doubt it will make much of a difference, but the extra gallons will probably help with the bioload.

20. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

LOL well its bigger! haha :)