Havent Changed Water In A Long Time, But Still Fine? How Can It Be? Question

1. Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury Valued Member Member

Hello, I have a 75 gallon.
    Stocking:
    2 platies
    6 rummynose tetras
    2 neon tetras(I had more but had a mass killing awhile ago. Just havent restocked).
    3 glo fish.
    3 kuhli loaches
    6 amano shrimp,
    15ish CRS

I havent changed my water in a long time. Like over 1 month probably even 2 months. Ive been monitoring it every single day, no stressed fish, or acting werid, anything like that. I do have like 3 real plants in the tank. Their not too big, I dose ferts for them here and there.

I tested my water today, thinking "Even tho everything looks great, tank is clear, no fish acting werid, it cant possibly still be okay, nitrates MUST be very high!"
    Turns out, my observations were correct. My water tested with 5ppm Nitrates. Ive asked my girlfriend to check the color, she said 5 aswell. These test are nowhere near expired, and I am sure I did the test correctly.

How can this be? People say you NEED to change water every week or else nitrates will go nuts.. but mine is PERFECTLY fine.

My theory is that i have the perfect amount of fish and plants, fish creating waste, and plants using the nitrates.
    What do you guys think?

2. Bradley Moles

Bradley Moles Valued Member Member

My girlfriend, brother, and I never actually do water changes, maybe once in a year. We just add water when it evaporates away. But we also use bio balls and ceramic rings in our filters. Plants help a lot too.

3. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOh Valued Member Member

You're just very understocked.

4. Crafty Cichlid

Crafty Cichlid Valued Member Member

That's not a bad thing.

5. Raizinhell

Raizinhell Valued Member Member

Your plants are definitely using nitrates but also the fact you have so few fish in your tank is why you are getting a lower reading than you presumed.

6. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

yeah ur understocked lol thats why. You’re telling me I never have to do a WC on my 125 with two oscars, a green terror, 2 firemouths a pleco and rainbow shark?

7. OP
    OP
    Travis Bradbury

Travis Bradbury Valued Member Member

So just adding water will be fine? Abunch of water evaporated, so the water line is lower than id like

8. Raizinhell

Raizinhell Valued Member Member

Do you not have any detrius or dead leaves. People change water not only to alleviate nitrates but to remove organic matter from building up.

9. bigdreams

bigdreams Well Known Member Member

In my 55 gallon tank, I have 14 lemon tetra, 18 cardinal tetras, 4 pearl gourami, 6 German blue Rams, 10 sterbai Cory, wl2 kuhli loaches, 12 guppies and half dozen fry (and more on the way)... Topping off isn't an option here .

I have a 5 gallon Walstad planted tank with a few shrimp, no filter, no water changes in 12 months, can't remember last time I topped off the tank. Basically the bioload is practically zero.

As other have said your tank is understocked... You can get by with less water changes. However watch out for old tank syndrome... While your fish may get used to no water changes, new fish may not like your stale water. Especially if nitrates start to climb with you noticing.