Have Your Cichlids Ever Chomped On You?

Platyarelife
This is a totally weird question but I have never been bitten by my Kenyi/Electric Yellow/Bumble Bee/Cobalt Cichlids but I know they have some sharp teeth. I mean they are known for taking down fish much bigger than them and they COVERED this plastic breeding tank marks. I just went to test their water and they thought the tube was food and tried to bite it barley missing my finger.
My question is will it hurt if they bite or draw blood?
They've never tried to bite me when I stick my entire arm in the tank to clean it. Hope they don't start now.

NavyChief20
no those won't hurt

Kysarkel000
no those won't hurt
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not lol

NavyChief20
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not lol

heh heh

Always. However in this case I meant those particular species won't hurt. Now some others yeah its a problem.

AquaticJ
It'll scare you, but no it shouldn't draw blood. I almost got bit by a 3 foot Alligator Gar the other day lol.

SixThreeOh
I have a paratilapia pollenI that attacks me. Doesn't hurt, but I jump every time.

Mcasella
If they get a grip of course it can sting. Most of them, however, cannot get a good grip on you enough to really hurt, they can break skin but they shouldn't be targeting you. (I have had several different fish bite me, including some smaller mouthed cichlids which doesn't really hurt but can draw blood if they hit right.)

Kwade
The larger of my Parrot Cichlids likes to have a go at me as I replace furnishings and such during weekly cleanings. Granted it's only 3.5", and has the mouth deformation, but I definitely feel a delicate pinch.

sushifanta
It’s kinda like when a lizard nips at you.

Platyarelife
It’s kinda like when a lizard nips at you.
Ive never been nipped by a lizard, lol. I think they were just excited cuz they thought it was feeding time. All the times I've had my fingers in there they swim around like their curious but have never tried to bite. I like to think they know me and like me, lol. If they don't at least my betta does.

babiimoore
my betta attacks every time he sees my fingers, its kinda ridiculous. sometimes I don't see him coming and it scares the out of me.

Platyarelife
my betta attacks every time he sees my fingers, its kinda ridiculous. sometimes I don't see him coming and it scares the out of me.
Lol, I got lucky with my betta, the only thing he hates are snails. After we got him it took some time but now he swims right up to me and sometimes tries to get my attention. He even seems recognizes my voice. I tried talking to him while he was taking a snooze in his hidy corner and he came swimming right over. He doesn't flare at me or my boyfriend any more either which is nice. He's pretty mellow.

Fashooga
My Cichilds has tried to take a stab at my fingers before. Some do sting a little when caught off guard. Usually it ends with me swearing at them.

Kysarkel000
I have a paratilapia pollenI that attacks me. Doesn't hurt, but I jump every time.
I jump Everytime my betta tries to bite me lol I don't know why, but it scares me that fish have teeth, even if they're too small to hurt. Same with ducks and frogs...

Kwade
I always look at it as that it is a good thing that they are both comfortable enough in their environment, and healthy enough to protest.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views
Franny & Gary
Replies
Views
lorabell
Replies
Views