Have you seen a SunSun w/o Uv?

Shea Loner

Has anyone by chance seen a SunSun w/o uv lately? I've decided to get one for my mom for christmas because it's very easy to access and maintain. (Which means I won't have to drive 30min to do it for her )

I haven't been able to find one on ebay or amazon. She needs at least 370gph, more would be better. I know if I got her one with the UV that she would break it and that is a hassel I don't want to deal with.

Kindafishy

Like this?

Shea Loner

Yes like that one. Only it's supposed to be cheaper w/o the uv.

Kindafishy

I don't know why you aren't wanting UV, but they can be turned off.

Shea Loner

Glass bulb inside a small housing inside a cabinet with a mom who has not got the steadiest set of hands? There would be broken glass on a regular basis. Unless you can run the filter w/o the bulb in place I need one w/o the uv light.

Rivieraneo

I think once sellers saw the demand go up, the prices went up as well. Dolfan had a link to a store on Ebay that had them somewhat decently priced, maybe he can share.

Kindafishy

You could remove the lamp and the cover, but you would need to have a waterproof plug to put in the hole. I'm sure it could be done, but might be a bit of a challenge.

Dolfan

I thought they used to make a larger model without the UV, but I can't seem to find it on ebay. So I'm not sure anymore. It looks like the only model without UV is the smaller HW-302 which moves 265 gph. It's great for tanks up to 50ish gallon or so. Above that I would go for the next size up.

In your situation if you really need the larger model for a larger tank, then just get the one with UV, they are so cheap, still better off, then you have the UV if you ever need it. It would be pretty hard to break. If anything, just take the lamp out, and screw back in the glass sleeve. It's pretty sturdy, and if she broke the glass sleeve or the bulb, you can get replacements. Just tell her to no open it up unless your around. She can leave the UV off to save the bulb life and then you have it for an emergency. Or you may decide to run if full time, I've been reading how UV is helpful in having a good balance Redox. Although I think you need a more efficient UV sterilizer to really properly do it. The UV part of the SunSun canisters seems a bit more gimmicky to me. It seems a lot of water bypasses it, and would never get full exposure to the UV light.

Another options is getting 2 of the smaller HW-302's that don't have UV. You could stagger the cleaning. And 2 of those should be able to handle any tank up to 100 gallons or so.

Shea Loner

Thanks. I'll have to get the uv one then. They must have changed their production around because they DID carry both models at one point.

I'll have to make sure that she is careful, but reguardless it will be possible for her to clean it on her own. Unlike the fight her eheim puts up every time. Stubborn thing.

Dolfan

Should be fine, and then you will have the UV if you need it. Just tell her the inside is off limits and to never open it up, doubt she could break it on the outside, haha.

LeoDiaz

They used to make the aquatop(same company as sunsun) DF-300 which had 370gph and no uv. I have it but now is discontinued.

Shea Loner

Should be fine, and then you will have the UV if you need it. Just tell her the inside is off limits and to never open it up, doubt she could break it on the outside, haha.
That'd be great if not for the fact that the whole purpose of a new filter is so that"I" don't have to be the one to maintain it. She didn't fit the eheim back together right 1 time And proceeded to never touch it again

emmynk

I have a sunsun hw-302 that doesn't have a UV..

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
matsungit
Replies
Views
Scuttle
Replies
Views
FL CommunityFans
Replies
Views