Have you ever used aquarium water to water your houseplants?

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
I use it all the time....just be aware that it is best on plants that you want green growth from, it may be too high in nitrogen for some plants you want to encourage to flower.

When I used it on African violets, it produced deformed leaves, and no flowers....It should also make great water for your garden, if you want to conserve and reuse your water......

OP
E

ER9

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Peterpiper said:
Dont think the misses would be to happy with me if I done that.... salt water
haha...yeah that would be bad.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I run the hose outside into the flower garden when I siphon and the flowers love it and I conserve water too. Can't beat that
Carol

OP
E

ER9

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
susitna-flower said:
I use it all the time....just be aware that it is best on plants that you want green growth from, it may be too high in nitrogen for some plants you want to encourage to flower.

When I used it on African violets, it produced deformed leaves, and no flowers....It should also make great water for your garden, if you want to conserve and reuse your water......
interesting but it makes sense. most fish based fertilizers do seem to be all about nitrogen which is better for the vegetative growth. would make sense that it might stop flowering because you would be feeding plants with growth food.

OP
E

ER9

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Butterfly said:
I run the hose outside into the flower garden when I siphon and the flowers love it and I conserve water too. Can't beat that
Carol
very cool....I figured since two of my little buddies that didn't make it are already fertilizing my favorite plant I might as well try out the water as well.

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
I haven't tried it on house plants as was concerned the sludge would smell! I do chuck it out into the garden though! didnt want fish poo in my sink where I wash the dishes....ewww!! the grass is always longer nr the door....must be those nutrients in the fish water! however, last year my crocosmia didnt flower.....and that always gets a bucket or 5 thrown on it.....now I think I know why!! always learn something new on here! all my other flowers thrived though!

Drea

Well Known
Reaction score
I use it on indoor houseplants all year 'round..in summer I use it for potted plants on the patio deck. Any extra after watering goes in the potty near the living room

Red wag platy

Reaction score
I water indoor plants with newt water, but I just pour my fish water down the utility sink.

fishgirl

Reaction score
I always use the fish water for my house plants and the water I don't use on the houseplats I use to water my tomatoes.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes. I've had the same issue with African violets that Susitna had. African violets have pretty particular requirements, so they aren't the greatest candidates for aquarium water fertilization. Other flowering plants have done well, however, with aquarium waterings, and the gardens close to my door are very healthy.

Alasse

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use it for my plants all the time, severe water restrictions make you use every drop as best you can

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
Alasse said:
I use it for my plants all the time, severe water restrictions make you use every drop as best you can
water restrictions and the cost if you're on metered water like me! £48 a month water bill means I don't use the hose pipe if I can help it....water butts and re using tank water for me!.....no matter how hard I try though my monthly bill doesn't get any cheaper!!

MagpieTear

Reaction score
It's how I water all my plants (3 Spider plants, Dumb Cane, and a Shamrock.) They all seem to thrive on it, and my Shamrock seems to bloom constantly. Noticed a decrease in the buildup of salts on the surface of the potting soil as well. It's still there, but doesn't show up as fast.

Bluefish

Reaction score
Yep, in deference to my septic tank and our summer outdoor water restrictions, the tank water goes right into the foundation shrubbery outside my front door.

My back is suffering quite a bit from all the water changes during my bout with ich this past week... I think I'm going to try that hose out the front door idea...

New Threads