have you ever seen anything like this?????

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

over the last few weeks, ive noticed a change in one of my silver dollars, hes started develping a black trail and dorsal fin, and two vertical spots on his body, on both sides. He became very territorial as well, i also noticed that the red on the bottom of his tail dissapeared. the patches darkend the more territorial he got. and at times i cant even tell the four apart becuase he changes back.

Has anyone ever noticed this with them becuase ive never read anything about sexing the silver dollars.

thanks!!!!!!

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know how to sex silver dollars. In silver dollars, there are several species of fish that are sold as silver dollars. Yours are just one of the species. They are very impressive. One of mine look like its (anal I think) fin is shaping like yours, No color yet. The other looks like it could be doing the same thing.
Brianna

latdi

Reaction score
Hello!
The same thing is happening to my silver dollar at the moment. I have been looking everywhere to find out what it is but I haven't found any explanations.
Have you found out anything about this condition?
Many thanks,
Diana
latveldiana@hotmail.com

Wilhelm Joshua Tan

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know the sexing. To the redhook silverdollar, females are plumer. Also sliverdollar but something is wrong because the male is plumer. But you have a redhook silverdollar so the females are plumer and secondly the condition, Maybe your silverdollar is growing.

Sarcastic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is interesting, it looks as if no one can explain the spots?

One of mine has developed two matching red-orange spots, on each side of the body, in a similar fashion to what you are describing.

Wilhelm Joshua Tan

Valued Member
Reaction score
What is fish is it with?

Sarcastic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wilhelm Joshua Tan said:
What is it with?
Please expand on that follow up question.

chas_3rd

Reaction score
It wants to breed temps 78-90 slight acidic low hardness good luck btw parents wont eat their own fry

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well guys, I think time has proven that those spots are when the male is ready for mating, or maturing, The silver dollars with the spots is the male, I noticed, when he was mating with one of the females - much larger, and no spots.

thanks for you help anyway.

Chief_waterchanger

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Time is the best, and sometimes the only tool for finding the truth.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom