Have you ever notice

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's true in everything, but especially in the fish hobby. But have you ever notice that for every piece of advice you get. You get another saying the opposite thing.

Like canister filters, I have a friend advising against it. While another swears by them. One tells me to not use bioball, while another tells me to use bioballs.

This is just to mention a couple of things. The list goes on. I think for every piece of advice anyone had ever given there was a guy/gal behind him giving the opposite advice.

It doesn't stop at fish tanks either. One guy tells me guys can wear pink now, while another tells me it's gay. Can I say gay? A lot of my friends are gay. So does that make it okay for me to say? Could I still say gay if I didn't have gay friends? I've said gay now 6 times asking if I could even say gay at all. lol

I'm not going anywhere with this, just wanted see if anyone else had notice about the fish advice.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well just like anything, everyone has an opinion that contradicts someone elses. You just have to guage everything everyone tells you and make your own decisions and do the best you can.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What an odd post, Louie.
Yes, there are a lot of different opinions about the fish hobby. And wearing pink is a personal choice.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Let's not run it in the ground please

Many of the members give advice based on personal experience or what they've read. There is always going to be conflicting information received. Sometimes we just have to use our best judgment, listen to the advice given and then make your own choices. In the long run it's all kind of trial and error when you're trying to create a natural environment so to speak.

Thanks!
Ken

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh, and I'm with the friend who likes canisters - did the anti-canister friend explain why? And what's wrong with bio-media?

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well it depends on the tank size, a canister on a 10 gal tank is over kill don't you think Meenu ?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Louie,
Yup, it's all about the old white angel/red angel. You know the ones that sit on either shoulder, one saying yes do it, the other saying no don't

My approach to whether I accept advice or not is to assess the source. i.e. the one that says no because a friend of a friend had a bad experience is probably not the best source of advice on the subject, but the one that has direct experience will tend to offer 'warnings' rather than "no don'ts". Anyway, rambling on.... I agree that for every piece of good advice, there's a piece of bad advice... I guess it keeps the world advice systems in balance hahaha

Oh, and I reckon pink is fine too :;juan

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree with treefork. It's also worthwhile finding out why people have opinions on things because they may advise against something based on things that may not to applicable to you. For example with canister filters some people love them because they are external so you don't have to look at unsightly internal filters but that may not worry you. On the other hand in the rare chance of an extended power outage the nitrifying bacteria in a canister filter is not fed an ammonium source because it is external so you may have issues with a mini-cycle (power would have to be out for a while). Not sure if this makes sense...I as just looking to provide you with an example.

I am so slow at responding!!! In the time I wrote this post you got like 4 other responses haha

Last edited:

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
well it depends on the tank size, a canister on a 10 gal tank is over kill don't you think Meenu ?
I thought he meant that in general, canisters are bad, Don. You know, a generalization, like straight men can't wear pink.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm with you, Everything like HOB, Canisters and internal filters have a place in this hobby. We just learn where as we go. Bio media is great if you don't use Live Rock.
Don't want the extra nitrates.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a friend who a wonderful reef tank with a lot of high dollar coral just growing like wild in his tank. He is dead set opposed to canisters and advise to use natural filtration. Stating that canisters are a nitrate trap.
Another friend of mine raises and sells coral out of his tank and has 2 canisters on his tank and swears by them. He also has a wet/dry filter. I've also been told to stay away from the wet/dry filter, but that's another story.

BTW my decision is not to use canisters. I'm going the natural route. Refugium, live rock, hair algae. Along with a protein skimmer and prefilters on the overflows.

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Im with RyanR. Two people can be in the same situation and have totally different opinions. I use a canister, after having tried a HOB...just personal preference/ease of use I guess.

I rock the heck out of a pink shirt with a jacket\tie to the office! Looks sharp, and IMO isnt 'gay'...not that there is anything wrong with that.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

lanlesnee, I see the analogy you're trying to make. However, IMO, your shirt reference is more of a stereo type.

Let's keep this thread about differences in fish keeping and other hobbys rather than life styles.

Thanks!

It's true everyone has different experiences. What works for one may not work for another.

Last edited:

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think fish-keeping is more of an art-style than a science. You need to determine the best equipment to suit your needs. Just wait until you read all of the opposing advice you read about the fish themselves. It's even more difficult to figure out with the fish because they really are individuals and one can act completely different about the other. This becomes apparent when members are asking how to stock a tank. One person will recommend a certain fish based on his/her experience while another person will disapprove of the fish. You just need to do enough research so that you're comfortable making your final decision on what to get, whether it's fish, plants, filters or anything.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
There are always different experiences in fishkeeping. That's where the differing opinions come in. The best part about it is, there's always more to learn. The hobby never gets boring.

The best advice I can offer would be to consider the experience of the person in fishkeeping, if they're saying "don't do something", see if they can offer an experience to help explain why. I've noticed most of the time, it's a "this may happen if you do this" in regards to advice. That's a good opportunity to set up a back up plan or re-think your plans. Each fish is different and has a different personality, so that comes into play as well. Consider if any of the livestock you're wanting to keep may have an issue with what you're wanting to do.

I hope this helps and that I didn't make things more confusing

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The worst is electronics for that kind of thing, I was looking for a digital camera before and there were always people who say it's the best camera they ever owned and others the worst. You learn you need to look at the majority if it is positive or negative and take it with a grain of salt. If you believe every review you read, every camera on the market under $2000 is a piece of junk.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The best advice I can offer would be to consider the experience of the person in fishkeeping, if they're saying "don't do something", see if they can offer an experience to help explain why.
That's a great point you made there BB. Sometimes, somebody will take something they read and advise people based on that as if it were their own experience, and the problem with that is that there's a lot of bad information out there and it will continue to be there if people keep spreading it (sorry about the long run-on sentence). The best advice that can be given is based on the true experience of the many fishkeepers on this site and we can each decide, based on those experiences, how to manage our own tanks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom