Have you ever gotten salmonella from tank water?

Meeki

I,m really scared of diseases like salmonella. I don't have a fish yet, but i borrowed someone's used filter catridge from an axolotl tank to accelerate the cycle. earlier I did a water test, and dumped the test tube water in the toilet. I forgot to disinfect the toilet before going to do my business. I,m scared the water will give me salmonella! Will I get salmonella? Have you ever gotten salmonella from fish tanks? how common is it?

Ouse

As far as I’m aware, it’s possible to get salmonella from tank water, although it’s a rare occurrence.

I’m a little confused as to why you think pouring the water down the toilet will give you salmonella. Am I missing something?

SM1199

So you're worried that water from the toilet that once had test tube water in it will give you salmonella? I'm sorry for laughing, but no... Just wash your hands like you should be doing anyway!

fishydaddy

I have not heard of anyone getting salmonella from an aquarium. There are a few zoonotic bacteria that can cause infections, so don't work in a tank with open wounds on your hands. If you're super worried, I would buy long gloves to use when doing maintenance and long handled tools. That being said, infections from keeping fish are fairly rare. I wouldn't be too worried.

mattgirl

No. shortest post I've ever made.

Ouse

Makes a change from your essay long insights. :D

This reminds me to actually answer the question in the title: no, I haven’t contracted salmonella from a fish tank.

TClare

Me neither, and I have had a few accidental mouthfuls in my time...

Meeki

i'm sorry haha I just have an insane phobia of anything involving getting sick, to the point it often keeps me up at night

mattgirl

i'm sorry haha I just have an insane phobia of anything involving getting sick, to the point it often keeps me up at night
Worry and lack of sleep are much more likely to cause health issues than anything you can catch from your fish tank. I have had fish tanks for many years and never a health issue from them. Like others have even gotten fish tank water in my mouth from starting the siphon and never had an issue from it. Relax and enjoy your tanks. Worry will just cause you to age faster :D

MySquishy

Salmonella is usually from birds or reptiles.
And even then with normal handwashing it’s not a huge issue. The only thing I can think of that has to do remotely with fish would be if you had seafood that was left out for hours and hours, maybe it would spoil. Maybe that bacteria might be salmonella.
but live fish in a tank?
I wouldn’t be concerned.
You’re exposed to way more if you get ocean water in your mouth swimming at the beach.
Sorry about the phobia— not fun. I know just recognizing cognitively that something is safe doesn’t always mean you feel that it’s safe.

A201

Been fish keeping a very long time. The only adverse health issue I've experienced is getting bit by big fish w/ teeth.

Meeki

Been fish keeping a very long time. The only adverse health issue I've experienced is getting bit by big fish w/ teeth.
Haha! When I'm gonna keep Oscars im probably gonna get my hands bitten off because of my urge to handfeed them. What can I say, oscars are too cute for me to not try and handfeed the.

georgelee1000

Hahah salmonella? Unless you have a bunch of salmonella in the tank and you enjoy drinking it. Or maybe when you are drunk? Jk

DuaneV

Okay, Im dead serious here and NOT trying to be a jerk:

If you are worried about getting Salmonella from dumping a test tube of tank water down the toilet and not disinfecting it, you must really struggle with things like eating chicken, going to restaurants, swimming in lakes, oceans, rivers? Ever had water from them up your nose? Do you disinfect your hands after every item you touch in a store? Do you disinfect the toilet and seat before and after using it every time? Do you use bathrooms outside of your own home? I get being cautious, but this seems REALLY out there to me.

When I dump tank water into my toilets, Ive NEVER disinfected them afterwards (do you do that after every time you use the toilet?). After I stick my arms elbow or shoulder deep into my tanks, I simply rinse them off with sink water afterwards. When I used to use a siphon for water changes and got a mouthful of water, Id spit it into the bucket and didnt think twice about it.

You are REALLY overthinking this unless you struggle with a severe germ phobia in which case nothing we say will help.

NearMeBettas

Hi, and welcome to the forum. :D Sorry your fish keeping adventure has to start out like this lol!

No, you do not need to worry especially if you washed your hands. You can not get salmonella from the 'business' end, it has to go into your mouth.

Its like one in a million chance of their being salmonella in the water in the first place. I have had reptiles, anphibians, and fish for half of my life and I never have got salmonella from that, but I have from undercooked chicken when I was a child.

I 2 only rinse my arms of with sink water after doing stuff in my aquarium and with my leopard geckos in specific, I don't wash my hands at all unless I am going to eat which is a good habit either way. I feel they are pretty clean and don't worry... Never have needed to. As DuaneV said, more likely to get it from chicken, going to a restaurant, swimming, etc.

Leeman75

The only thing I've ever caught from my aquariums is MTS.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Heron
Replies
Views