Have You Ever Came Home With The Wrong Fish?

ChuthuluFish

Example you go to an lfs buy some platys, get home and realize ones a sord tail.
Something like this happen to any one else?

Ps: its 3 hours to this lfs and back.(closest one) so no returns

Crazycoryfishlady

I bought what we thought was a Bichir, turned out to be a Dragon Goby instead!
There was also another time where I bought some female mollies, and it turned out one was a slightly misformed, and was actually a male with a more female gonopodium.
I caught what I thought was the male, and traded it in for a female.
I got home and swore I accidently took back the wrong fish! After staing at photos and comparing them I finally realized I had all my females and did indeed take the male back. I was so scared.

ChuthuluFish

Did any of the fish have fry?

Crazycoryfishlady

ChuthuluFish said:
Did any of the fish have fry?
Yeah almost every female I've come home with was pregnant before purchase, now I'm breeding them with specific males. One of our breeders is a beautiful black dalmatian molly named Baron, he has very large fins and is larger than any molly I've seen. I'm guessing he was a breeder for the store who sold him too.
I also have some orphaned platy fry who are growing really well. I love raising them.
I'm also trying to breed specific color strains of platies as well.

Vaughn

I've never gotten the wrong fish but I've gotten the wrong plant a few times. It seems like every time I go to a fish store people have a ton of screaming kids all over the place and I can't get a good look at the fish because people just let their kids do whatever and get in the way so I end up not getting fish because I want to watch it for a bit to make sure it's okay and what I want haha

Crazycoryfishlady said:
Yeah almost every female I've come home with was pregnant before purchase, now I'm breeding them with specific males. One of our breeders is a beautiful black dalmatian molly named Baron, he has very large fins and is larger than any molly I've seen. I'm guessing he was a breeder for the store who sold him too.
I also have some orphaned platy fry who are growing really well. I love raising them.
I'm also trying to breed specific color strains of platies as well.
That's really cool, Baron sounds handsome. I'm working towards breeding red tail crystal platies with wag fins

Thunder_o_b

No.

wodesorel

Was sold a blue dwarf gouramI at Petsmart that turned out to be a juvenile Opaline. In my 20 gallon tank. There were no options to rehome at the time (before social media and the chain stores said they would euth) so we kept him for a couple of years. I loved that fish, even if he was a hellion! Lost him quite tragically and suddenly (in the span of 5 minutes) to an unknown issue that also caused severe neurologic damage in my black kuhlis.

FiscCyning

I don’t know if it counts as the wrong fish, but I often come home from the lfs with a fish when the plan was to get no fish.

Joking aside, a swordtail instead of a platy probably isn’t the end of the world unless you have an incredibly small tank. Lfs employees definitely have tried to send me home with the wrong fish, but I always keep a close eye on what they’re doing so I catch it in time.

VeiltailKing

I’ve had a male Molly turn out to be a female Molly... A few weeks later some fry appeared lol

allllien

I had to tell my local Petbarn once that they had mixed up their new lot of swordtails and platys and put them in the wrong tanks lol -at first she didn't believe me until I pointed out some of the mixed up fish. I'm sure they didn't know enough to correctly swap out the wrong ones in each tank, so I'm sure a lot of people ended up with the wrong ones lol. I would have offered to do it for them but I'm pretty sure they don't like to admit their customers sometimes know more than they do

AJE

*Come* Just kidding it’s ok not to have good grammar Nope I always got the fish I wanted, except once I got a vampire shrimp when I bought a bamboo shrimp

Jellibeen

AJE said:
*Come* Just kidding it’s ok not to have good grammar Nope I always got the fish I wanted, except once I got a vampire shrimp when I bought a bamboo shrimp
That could be a good thing! They have similar care requirements and vampire shrimp are usually more expensive.

Andy S

Not me but a friend of mine bought what he thought were 6 baby koI carp, about an inch and a half. One looked quite different to the rest - it was a tench.

nikm128

I'm a bit lat to the party, but...
I've come home to the wrong fish before, or rather, came home to fish when I shouldn't have

AJE

Jellibeen said:
That could be a good thing! They have similar care requirements and vampire shrimp are usually more expensive.
Yup, they cost about $3 each

Yale Kim

I was told an ghost shrimp was a amano shrimp and it was 4 bucks and when I went back they wouldn't give me a refund

CanadianFishFan

How about the 6 female bettas I bought for a sorority. In the end only 4 were female.

sloughdog

I’ve never gotten the wrong fish but I’ve witnessed stores mislabel fish and people buy the mislabeled fish. Most recently I saw beckford pencilfish labeled as roseline sharks (Denison barb). Pencilfish run about $3; roselines about $10.

RainBetta

Bought a "female" betta that after closer inspection, turned out to be male. Not a happy day in the sorority

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom