Have two neons...wondering if I should get more

Discussion in 'Neon Tetra' started by Tykhe, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Tykhe

TykheValued MemberMember

Hi, about two weeks ago I purchased three neons (with the intention of getting three more at a later date). However, I found out since then that angelfish eat neons. I would like a schooling tetra and it seems like neons are the only ones I've found that don't fin nip (have two sail fin mollies). My angelfish is only about the size of a quarter and he even leaves the molly fry alone so he never chases the neons. My neons also got pretty big so they're about the same length as the Angelfish at the moment. Anyway, since buying the neons three weeks ago, one disappeared the night I brought them home. I think it was because the pet shop owner dropped him on the floor when he went in to get them....yeah that was a mess...but they are the only store around with neons.

I'm deliberating whether I should get 3-4 more neons now so they can school. My two neons seem to be okay. They school together only some of the time. My tank is well planted. The only other fish in it are two platys and a bunch of molly fry. Oh btw, it's a 30 Gallon.

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Neons enjoy safety in numbers. So the more the merrier on that matter. I would only consider a school of 5 or more if I were buying Neons.

As for their compatibility with Angels. Every fish is different, and as a general rule, if the angel is well fed, it shouldn't go 'seeking snacks'.

I have seen Angels and Neons kept quite successfully (in fact I'm sure we had a planted 4ft tank with 2 angels and a small school of neons when i was a kid)

I think the plants were necessary to give the neons somewhere to escape to though.

There is also the concept that a fish will only eat it if it fits in its mouth.

3. peacemaker92

peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

I'm with Ryan as well. It's advisable to get more to make them feel more comfortable and safe together or to return them back to the store if you can't get more.

Other members on FL have successfully kept Angels with neons but how they did it was they had the neons introduced into the tank first, then came the Angel(s) but at juvy size.

Other than that, Ryan has got you covered :)

Oh and one more thing, the tank would have to be upgraded soon when the Angel grows bigger because it'll need space or you could move the platies to another tank?

Best of luck! :;hf

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yes, get more!

5. OP
    OP
    Tykhe

TykheValued MemberMember

Yeah, I'm probably going to upgrade to a 55 once the angel gets too big. I've looked into other tetras but I like neons the best in terms of appearance and behavior. I think I'm going to pick up 6 more soon so I'll have 8. Hopefully I won't have any casualties this time. I have an extra 5 gallon set aside as a holding pen for the future young adult molly fry. I've considered moving the neons there if they don't get along with the Angel but from what I've read 5 gallons is much too small to keep neons in.

6. Tana

TanaValued MemberMember

Hi Tykhe and welcome to the forum. Please take a few minutes to fill in the aquarium information on your profile. This will help others when you have questions about stocking, etc. :)

I think five gallons is too small for a school of neons. I have a 10 gallon with 4 neons and 4 glowlights and that's too small for them to really school together, so they'll be moving to bigger accommodations as soon as I can manage getting it set up and cycled.

7. OP
    OP
    Tykhe

TykheValued MemberMember

Hi Tana, thanks! I filled my info in as best as I can.

Before I go and buy more neons, I'm just wondering if it's normal for a neon to develop a large stomach. My two neons are both a bit heavy in the gut region (they almost look pregnant) but nothing else is abnormal - they both swim actively, eat tons of food etc. They're also both getting pretty big, I think they're going to outgrow my Angel soon. I also wonder if I'm overfeeding them but it's hard not to because they're so fast that they outcompete all the other fish for food. I added a couple of new plants into the tank and my fish picked them dry over the weekend. There's nothing but stems left. I hope that's why the neons are bloated. I haven't seeked any treatment because other than the large bellies, they're completely normal.

8. Tana

TanaValued MemberMember

I have one that has a huge stomach, one has a medium sized one and the other two are smaller compared to the other two and are very streamlined. I watch to make sure the smaller ones eat, and they do. Wicked fast!! All that I've read about the females is that they do have a rounder and bigger belly than the males, so I'm thinking they are female. I have never seen any of them bother the plants though. Maybe there is another culprit that's chewing on your plants?

9. hyun007

hyun007Valued MemberMember

For Neon Tetra from my experience, the first 2 weeks are the critical time.
    As long as they survive the first 2 weeks, they should be fine after that, unless you did a dramatical change to the water, temperature or adding new fish might carry disease.

10. OP
    OP
    Tykhe

TykheValued MemberMember

Hi, I just got six cardinal tetras and they're all getting along. The two neons I have had been very hardy up to this point. I added a ton of salt two weeks ago when I brought my mollies home and I was worried they were going to die but they just got brighter and more active...weird. Anyway, all eight fish are doing well and schooling together :).