Have To Get A New Tank, Will I Have To Start My Cycle Over?

  • Thread starter

leannajayde

Valued Member
Messages
232
Reaction score
34
Points
28
Experience
Just started
I currently have a 20 gallon long and its a very old, very used tank.
Its been holding strong from two months but I just noticed some leaking from the very underneath of the black rim things.
I can't tell if its water splashing out of the tank, or if a seal is leaking, its above the water line so its hard to tell.
Given the tanks age though I don't want to play around and as soon as I get my check on Tuesday I'm going to buy a brand new tank, either same size or 29 gallon.
The only thing I don't plan on transferring is the sand, I was wanting to switch to something different anyways.
I will be transferring the filter, the sponge filter, all of the plants and decor.
I JUST got the tank cycled after TWO MONTHS of HARD work and CONSTENT water changes so this is the absolute last thing I want to do, but its better than coming home to a busted tank, dead fish and a ruined carpet.
Will the tank automatically cycle from all the old stuff or will I have to start all over?
 

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,162
Reaction score
6,151
Points
758
Experience
3 years
You just move your current filtration system over to the new tank, and you don't have to cycle again.
 

randilynnmacmurc

New Member
Messages
2
Reaction score
2
Points
3
If suggest putting some sand in from your previous tank on the bottom and then putting the gravel you want on top. This with the filter and everything will kick start the cycle. Something that takes two months like you experienced may take a few days. And if you're worried about levels, just don't feed your fish for a few day so the nutrients don't build up in the water.
 

yukondog

Well Known Member
Messages
2,131
Reaction score
1,025
Points
198
Experience
5 years
I also use the same tank water or as much of it as I can.
 

randilynnmacmurc

New Member
Messages
2
Reaction score
2
Points
3
The bacteria you want is usually in the filter media, the substrate and stuff like wood or moss balls. I wouldn't worry too much, it won't take as long to cycle.
 

pugletfan

Well Known Member
Messages
640
Reaction score
139
Points
63
Experience
5 to 10 years
The vast majority of your beneficial bacteria lives on your filter media. As long as you move the fish and the filter to the new tank at the same time, you should have an instant cycle. No need to move the sand.
 

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,757
Reaction score
2,290
Points
498
Experience
More than 10 years
If you Tranfer your filter media and half your water you can just treat it like a large water change. The only problem you might run into is the new substrate if your using aquasoil it will leech ammonia
 

pugletfan

Well Known Member
Messages
640
Reaction score
139
Points
63
Experience
5 to 10 years
What substrate are you wanting to use in the new tank?
 

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Messages
2,417
Reaction score
1,339
Points
148
Experience
1 year
leannajayde said:
I currently have a 20 gallon long and its a very old, very used tank.
Its been holding strong from two months but I just noticed some leaking from the very underneath of the black rim things.
I can't tell if its water splashing out of the tank, or if a seal is leaking, its above the water line so its hard to tell.
Given the tanks age though I don't want to play around and as soon as I get my check on Tuesday I'm going to buy a brand new tank, either same size or 29 gallon.
The only thing I don't plan on transferring is the sand, I was wanting to switch to something different anyways.
I will be transferring the filter, the sponge filter, all of the plants and decor.
I JUST got the tank cycled after TWO MONTHS of HARD work and CONSTENT water changes so this is the absolute last thing I want to do, but its better than coming home to a busted tank, dead fish and a ruined carpet.
Will the tank automatically cycle from all the old stuff or will I have to start all over?
You should be good/great if you do as instructed. IMO sponge filters are the best for this. With a regular hob and a sponge, you should have an instant cycle.

Just test for all 3 for a few days, ammonia nitrites, nitrates.
 

stang7606

Valued Member
Messages
56
Reaction score
19
Points
43
Experience
2 years
I did almost the same thing as you. I went from a 13 gallon to a 29. In the same evening, I set up the new tank, put the new gravel in (same stuff I had, just a new bag), then moved all my decorations and plants over. Then I siphoned about 10 gallons out of the old tank into the new tank, while moving fish. I also made a few of my yellow cherry shrimp take a ride through the siphon too, since you cant catch them all with containers. I moved my media into my new filter, but also ran my old filter next to it for a couple of days (mainly just for additional mechanical filtration since the plants had a lot of stuff in the roots that got stirred up. I then went with Prime and Stability for the first couple of days. I had a slight bacteria bloom, but monitored everything and the kept my cycle. Never had ammonia or Nitrites, had to fight high nitrates for a couple of weeks, but I have them down now. I would suggest just doing it all at once, other than stuff stuff being stirred up, your fish will think you just did a big water change.
 

123

Valued Member
Messages
239
Reaction score
94
Points
38
Experience
Just started
I am planing on doing the exact same thing tomorrow and it is a bit stress, as I also took a month to cycle the curent tank and now im moving it ^^ But I am sure the fishes will appreciate the new home. I am going to be using my old gravel which I plan to put on the bottom to keep the bacteria colony and then I will also add new gravel. They wont match in color, but well
 
  • Thread starter

leannajayde

Valued Member
Messages
232
Reaction score
34
Points
28
Experience
Just started
smee82 said:
If you Tranfer your filter media and half your water you can just treat it like a large water change. The only problem you might run into is the new substrate if your using aquasoil it will leech ammonia
Thanks for telling me the name of the ammonia leeching soil! I knew something did that but I didn't know what it was called, ill avoid getting it!

pugletfan said:
What substrate are you wanting to use in the new tank?
I currently have national geographic sand. Im wanting something similar but instead of white I want black.

stang7606 said:
I did almost the same thing as you. I went from a 13 gallon to a 29. In the same evening, I set up the new tank, put the new gravel in (same stuff I had, just a new bag), then moved all my decorations and plants over. Then I siphoned about 10 gallons out of the old tank into the new tank, while moving fish. I also made a few of my yellow cherry shrimp take a ride through the siphon too, since you cant catch them all with containers. I moved my media into my new filter, but also ran my old filter next to it for a couple of days (mainly just for additional mechanical filtration since the plants had a lot of stuff in the roots that got stirred up. I then went with Prime and Stability for the first couple of days. I had a slight bacteria bloom, but monitored everything and the kept my cycle. Never had ammonia or Nitrites, had to fight high nitrates for a couple of weeks, but I have them down now. I would suggest just doing it all at once, other than stuff stuff being stirred up, your fish will think you just did a big water change.
Great advice, thank you!

Katarina said:
I am planing on doing the exact same thing tomorrow and it is a bit stress, as I also took a month to cycle the curent tank and now im moving it ^^ But I am sure the fishes will appreciate the new home. I am going to be using my old gravel which I plan to put on the bottom to keep the bacteria colony and then I will also add new gravel. They wont match in color, but well
I'm going to add some of my old sand underneath the new one if I can.
The biggest pain of all this is going to be that I'm putting the new tank where the old tank is. Im going to have to put my fish in a spare 5 gallon, get my current tank light enough to move so i can put the new tank in its place , transfer everything, add water, add fish.
NOT looking forward to it at all
 

trainandfishguy

Valued Member
Messages
111
Reaction score
44
Points
63
Experience
More than 10 years
stang7606 said:
I did almost the same thing as you. I went from a 13 gallon to a 29. In the same evening, I set up the new tank, put the new gravel in (same stuff I had, just a new bag), then moved all my decorations and plants over. Then I siphoned about 10 gallons out of the old tank into the new tank, while moving fish. I also made a few of my yellow cherry shrimp take a ride through the siphon too, since you cant catch them all with containers. I moved my media into my new filter, but also ran my old filter next to it for a couple of days (mainly just for additional mechanical filtration since the plants had a lot of stuff in the roots that got stirred up. I then went with Prime and Stability for the first couple of days. I had a slight bacteria bloom, but monitored everything and the kept my cycle. Never had ammonia or Nitrites, had to fight high nitrates for a couple of weeks, but I have them down now. I would suggest just doing it all at once, other than stuff stuff being stirred up, your fish will think you just did a big water change.

That is exactly what I just experience/ experiencing. I went from an established 10 gallon to a 26 long. I set up the tank, planted it and transferred over some rocks I was preparing for the move. I then transferred over about 8 gallons from the tank and a week later, still running the old filter with the new one. Ammonia and Nitrites are low but Nitrates Skyrocketed. currently working on getting them down. That said, the fish loved the change and are more active.

leannajayde said:
I'm going to add some of my old sand underneath the new one if I can.
The biggest pain of all this is going to be that I'm putting the new tank where the old tank is. Im going to have to put my fish in a spare 5 gallon, get my current tank light enough to move so i can put the new tank in its place , transfer everything, add water, add fish.
NOT looking forward to it at all
I just did a similar move last weekend. It wasn't pleasant but the fish are happier so worth it.
 

123

Valued Member
Messages
239
Reaction score
94
Points
38
Experience
Just started
leannajayde said:
Thanks for telling me the name of the ammonia leeching soil! I knew something did that but I didn't know what it was called, ill avoid getting it!

I currently have national geographic sand. Im wanting something similar but instead of white I want black.

Great advice, thank you!

I'm going to add some of my old sand underneath the new one if I can.
The biggest pain of all this is going to be that I'm putting the new tank where the old tank is. Im going to have to put my fish in a spare 5 gallon, get my current tank light enough to move so i can put the new tank in its place , transfer everything, add water, add fish.
NOT looking forward to it at all
That is exactly my case I’m just hoping to not break anything with my luck I will let you know tomorrow how it went for me
 

stang7606

Valued Member
Messages
56
Reaction score
19
Points
43
Experience
2 years
Good luck
 

misfittoy

Valued Member
Messages
108
Reaction score
58
Points
63
Experience
Just started
leannajayde said:
Thanks for telling me the name of the ammonia leeching soil! I knew something did that but I didn't know what it was called, ill avoid getting it!

I currently have national geographic sand. Im wanting something similar but instead of white I want black.

Great advice, thank you!

I'm going to add some of my old sand underneath the new one if I can.
The biggest pain of all this is going to be that I'm putting the new tank where the old tank is. Im going to have to put my fish in a spare 5 gallon, get my current tank light enough to move so i can put the new tank in its place , transfer everything, add water, add fish.
NOT looking forward to it at all
If you put the old sand under the new sand they’re going to end up getting mixed up. If your filter is cycled, that’s all you need.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom