Have To Get A New Tank, Will I Have To Start My Cycle Over?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by leannajayde, Apr 12, 2018.

1. leannajayde

leannajayde Valued Member Member

I currently have a 20 gallon long and its a very old, very used tank.
    Its been holding strong from two months but I just noticed some leaking from the very underneath of the black rim things.
    I can't tell if its water splashing out of the tank, or if a seal is leaking, its above the water line so its hard to tell.
    Given the tanks age though I don't want to play around and as soon as I get my check on Tuesday I'm going to buy a brand new tank, either same size or 29 gallon.
    The only thing I don't plan on transferring is the sand, I was wanting to switch to something different anyways.
    I will be transferring the filter, the sponge filter, all of the plants and decor.
    I JUST got the tank cycled after TWO MONTHS of HARD work and CONSTENT water changes so this is the absolute last thing I want to do, but its better than coming home to a busted tank, dead fish and a ruined carpet.
    Will the tank automatically cycle from all the old stuff or will I have to start all over?

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You just move your current filtration system over to the new tank, and you don't have to cycle again.

3. r

randilynnmacmurc New Member Member

If suggest putting some sand in from your previous tank on the bottom and then putting the gravel you want on top. This with the filter and everything will kick start the cycle. Something that takes two months like you experienced may take a few days. And if you're worried about levels, just don't feed your fish for a few day so the nutrients don't build up in the water.

4. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

I also use the same tank water or as much of it as I can.

5. r

randilynnmacmurc New Member Member

The bacteria you want is usually in the filter media, the substrate and stuff like wood or moss balls. I wouldn't worry too much, it won't take as long to cycle.

6. p

pugletfan Well Known Member Member

The vast majority of your beneficial bacteria lives on your filter media. As long as you move the fish and the filter to the new tank at the same time, you should have an instant cycle. No need to move the sand.

7. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

If you Tranfer your filter media and half your water you can just treat it like a large water change. The only problem you might run into is the new substrate if your using aquasoil it will leech ammonia

8. p

pugletfan Well Known Member Member

What substrate are you wanting to use in the new tank?

9. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

You should be good/great if you do as instructed. IMO sponge filters are the best for this. With a regular hob and a sponge, you should have an instant cycle.

Just test for all 3 for a few days, ammonia nitrites, nitrates.

10. stang7606

stang7606 Valued Member Member

I did almost the same thing as you. I went from a 13 gallon to a 29. In the same evening, I set up the new tank, put the new gravel in (same stuff I had, just a new bag), then moved all my decorations and plants over. Then I siphoned about 10 gallons out of the old tank into the new tank, while moving fish. I also made a few of my yellow cherry shrimp take a ride through the siphon too, since you cant catch them all with containers. I moved my media into my new filter, but also ran my old filter next to it for a couple of days (mainly just for additional mechanical filtration since the plants had a lot of stuff in the roots that got stirred up. I then went with Prime and Stability for the first couple of days. I had a slight bacteria bloom, but monitored everything and the kept my cycle. Never had ammonia or Nitrites, had to fight high nitrates for a couple of weeks, but I have them down now. I would suggest just doing it all at once, other than stuff stuff being stirred up, your fish will think you just did a big water change.

11. 1

123 Valued Member Member

I am planing on doing the exact same thing tomorrow and it is a bit stress, as I also took a month to cycle the curent tank and now im moving it ^^ But I am sure the fishes will appreciate the new home. I am going to be using my old gravel which I plan to put on the bottom to keep the bacteria colony and then I will also add new gravel. They wont match in color, but well :)

12. OP
    OP
    leannajayde

leannajayde Valued Member Member

Thanks for telling me the name of the ammonia leeching soil! I knew something did that but I didn't know what it was called, ill avoid getting it!

I currently have national geographic sand. Im wanting something similar but instead of white I want black.

Great advice, thank you!

I'm going to add some of my old sand underneath the new one if I can.
    The biggest pain of all this is going to be that I'm putting the new tank where the old tank is. Im going to have to put my fish in a spare 5 gallon, get my current tank light enough to move so i can put the new tank in its place , transfer everything, add water, add fish.
    NOT looking forward to it at all

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  13. trainandfishguy

trainandfishguy Valued Member Member

That is exactly what I just experience/ experiencing. I went from an established 10 gallon to a 26 long. I set up the tank, planted it and transferred over some rocks I was preparing for the move. I then transferred over about 8 gallons from the tank and a week later, still running the old filter with the new one. Ammonia and Nitrites are low but Nitrates Skyrocketed. currently working on getting them down. That said, the fish loved the change and are more active.

I just did a similar move last weekend. It wasn't pleasant but the fish are happier so worth it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  14. 1

123 Valued Member Member

That is exactly my case I’m just hoping to not break anything with my luck I will let you know tomorrow how it went for me

15. stang7606

stang7606 Valued Member Member

Good luck

16. misfittoy

misfittoy Valued Member Member

If you put the old sand under the new sand they’re going to end up getting mixed up. If your filter is cycled, that’s all you need.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice