Have no idea what should go in my new tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fisherman15, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Fisherman15

Fisherman15 Valued Member Member

So I just recently bought a 55 gallon tank with filters, heater, and powerhead. I have been searching EVERYWHERE on types of fish I could stock it with, and can't find any good answers. I really like bigger fish (they would obviously grow, but around 6-8in). I have looked up so many cichlids and kinda like them but idk the care. I understand I would be able to look up specific care for certain species but am looking for good ideas. I want a fun active tank. I have a BN pleco that would be transferred into it (maybe 2 sunburst platys, 2 ADFs, and 3 neon tetras). I would love a "different" tank with like an eel or a ray involved (MAYBE). What are some good options?

(I get this is a common kinda "dumb" topic that is all up to the owner, but I don't have any idea what it should be stocked with.)

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

You can do a South American biotope with rainbows, peaceful cichlids, and your BN pleco. You can also add the neons and up the school to 10.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't put the ADFs in the 55 gal though. They won't be able to reach the surface easily, and they're likely to be outcompeted for food. They probably wouldn't last long in a 55.

You could do a few, large schools of fish by adding more neons (they're schooling fish and need to be in groups of 6+), maybe to 10-16 neons, and other tetras? There are cardinals, black neons, skirt, rummynose, lampeye, penguin, pristella, etc.

Maybe a school of cories on the bottom?

And maybe a few larger, centerpiece fish - a gourami (pearl, dwarf, opaline, honey), a pair of apistos, etc.

The only issue with having larger fish in your tank is that they may eat your neons. Eels, ropefish, bichirs, and even angels may eat your small neons.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Rainbowfish? They are from Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, and Australia.... including some from Madagascar....

5. OP
    OP
    Fisherman15

Yeah I wanted a couple centerpiece fish ( I can keep my neons in my 10 gallon) I just LOVE my pleco but other than that they can stay in the 10. I would really like a "wow" fish that is different. I was thinking cichlids for the longest time but everyone has a tank of them.

6. Anders247

Neon tetras? They need at least a 15 gallon (24 length by 12 width) size tank. So not in a 10g.
    Not sure what you meant by that but plecos need a bigger than 10 gallon tank too.

7. OP
    OP
    Fisherman15

I know I've been cleaning the 55 gallon for awhile looking to relocate them into a bigger home. I can give my tetras to my friend if that means i could have larger fish (so the little guys won't be eaten.) Just want bigger fish that will get along with my BN.

8. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

Rainbow Cichlids are a nice fish to go with your BN. Also Honduran Red Points, firemouth cichlids, even a severum..

9. Anders247

Yep, depending on the type of severum though they might need a bigger tank.
    Don't get Heros notatus or Heros efasciatus, which are more common and grow a foot long (too big for a 55). Heros spurius or severus would work though. They get 4 and 6 inches respectively.

10. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

A 55 won't work for any Rays. So please don't spend the money on one. A peacock eel would work with an African butterfly fish, Firemouth and convict. You could add a smaller fancy pleco too if you like those.

This gives you mostly oddballs with a couple of easy cichlids.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

11. T

If they can find those two species in a basic LFS I would be shocked. If a LFS has these fish in their stock, they will not allow the OP to put in a 55gal anyways.

Also in my experience I have never seen any type of severum max out at 4". I have 3 types of severums in my stock right now.

12. Anders247

From what I have heard the red/gold variant is usually efasciatus....
    And petco has those, and they would let people put them in a 55...

13. OP
    OP
    Fisherman15

I think this is a good option! I like them all! Do I need live plants? I will heavily decorate my tank with rocks and DIY stuff. Anything specific I should know about these other than the research I've already done??

14. Anders247

No, you don't need live plants. The cichlids would probably dig them up anyways....

15. T

A red severum and a gold severum are different fish.

A gold severum usually stays closer to a green severums length. A gold usually stays a solid gold color with little variation. Most likely at your local big box store and will fit fine in a 55gal.

A red severum can get a lot bigger then the gold/green severum but is usually more money in the fish stores and not a normal stock. I would call this more of a red-spot severum, which you can see the size on youtube.

Unfortunately it is difficult to tell the difference if you do not keep these fish. If you own the different color variations, it is easier to tell.

16. OP
    OP
    Fisherman15

How many fire mouths, convicts could I keep with a African butterfly fish a BN pleco and peacock eel? Or is there any other cichlids (or other semi-larger fish) that I could keep in there?

17. BDpups

Just keep single cichilds. And I would also try and get two females or two males. They will spawn if you have a male and female and the offspring are not desirable to anyone. Female convicts are more colorful than the males. Male firemouths are more colorful than females. So you should figure out if you want males or females.

Other fish that would fit in the tank with the other fish mentioned would probably be at risk with the eel. I would keep it to just the 5. Once fully grown and mature, they will fit perfectly in your tank. It will not look at all empty.

18. OP
    OP
    Fisherman15

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions!! Once my tank cycles I will go to my LFS to pick out my new fish!:;hf

19. OP
    OP
    Fisherman15

Do you think it would be okay to get one green terror with my BN pleco? Could I add any other fish? I have been looking into them also jack dempseys. I am really interested in BIG fish (even if I have few of them) I would rather do that than a bunch of little ones.

20. BDpups

A single green terror should be fine in a 55 with a bristle nose. That would fully stock the tank though.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice