Have my shelldwellers spawned? or am I just to excited? lol

1. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hello everyone, as some of you may know, 3 days ago I bought 4 Neolamprologus brevis, I believe I have 2 males and 2 females :)
    Im confused by there behaviour, below I will list what each fish is doing,

female#1: tries to swim around the tank however is normally chased by male#1 into a corner, at night sleeps in a shell in the territory of male#2

male#1: guards half of the tank, does not allow any fish near his shell

Its the next two im wondering about, have they spawned??

female#2: Has spent the past 2 days in a shell in male#2s' territory, sheh as been out for the first time today and has fed well, however she has not strayed more than 4 inches from her shell and she regularly goes back inside for a second or two, also, whenever male#2 swims near her shell she seems to invite him in and then she goes inside, the male just hovers above the entrance until she comes out.

male#2: Is the bravest and biggest of all 4, guards half of the tank however allows both females in his territory showing no aggresion at all to female#2, he also vigourously guards female#2s' shell.

So at the end of this long post the question is, have male and female #2 spawned or are they atleast a pair?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

LOL i'm confused but it does sound like a spawn. If both male and female are guarding then you have eggs. If they're still chasing then its part of the courtship..

3. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I know the whole male#1 male#2 thing is confusing but it seemedl ike the easiest way to put it lol, well I was just watching them and female#2 :D lol just fought of male#1 which is twice her size.
    The one thing im wondering is that the shell she has picked is one of the smaller shells in the tank and only one adult fish can fit in there at a time, so would the male be able to go in to fertilize the eggs?

Thanks,
    Ben