Have my Bolivian Rams become a mated pair?

1. silliputty23 Member Member

I put these in not even a week ago. The LFS I went to wasn't positive about sexing, but currently, the two are following each other everywhere.

The first couple of days, it looked like they may have been fighting - the one I assumed to be female (flat tail fin) would charge head first at the side of the male's body. On a couple occasions, one would quickly dart at the other to chase it off and they did also do some minor kissing that didn't last too long. I haven't seen that at all in the last few days. They act like they've gotten used to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPRqTpvz23E

What do you think?

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Super cute how they follow eachother, and wow that's a nice tank :0

3. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Love the tank!

4. silliputty23 Member Member

Wow thanks all. I still feel like it needs a little more.

My filter flow is too strong though - I need to do something about it.

5. abrooks12376 Member Member

They're tough to sex, mine follow each other around too. When they dig a spawning pit you'll know;) what kind of filter? Google bottle baffle for hob filter

6. silliputty23 Member Member

Does following each other around not necessarily indicate a pair? Would two males ever follow each other like this? Or a platonic male/female friends-only duo?

I feel certain the one is male because his sex organ is pointed back toward his tail. I can't see the other's too well.

7. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I love the wood that's in there. Really all I can see being a benefit to it is if you get more plants and your plants grow wild over time