Have my Bolivian Rams become a mated pair?

1. silliputty23 Member Member

I put these in not even a week ago. The LFS I went to wasn't positive about sexing, but currently, the two are following each other everywhere.

The first couple of days, it looked like they may have been fighting - the one I assumed to be female (flat tail fin) would charge head first at the side of the male's body. On a couple occasions, one would quickly dart at the other to chase it off and they did also do some minor kissing that didn't last too long. I haven't seen that at all in the last few days. They act like they've gotten used to each other.

What do you think?
  2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Super cute how they follow eachother, and wow that's a nice tank :0

3. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Love the tank!
  4. silliputty23 Member Member

Wow thanks all. I still feel like it needs a little more.

My filter flow is too strong though - I need to do something about it.

5. abrooks12376 Member Member

They're tough to sex, mine follow each other around too. When they dig a spawning pit you'll know;) what kind of filter? Google bottle baffle for hob filter
  6. silliputty23 Member Member

Does following each other around not necessarily indicate a pair? Would two males ever follow each other like this? Or a platonic male/female friends-only duo?

I feel certain the one is male because his sex organ is pointed back toward his tail. I can't see the other's too well.
  7. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I love the wood that's in there. Really all I can see being a benefit to it is if you get more plants and your plants grow wild over time