Have I killed my shrimp tank? D:

Jelly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did a really stupid thing last night.

I was doing a water change in my 2 gal shrimp tank and had siphoned out about half a gallon. While the water was low I trimmed and replanted some of the plants in there. I added a pinch of Equilibrim to the fresh water and added it back into the tank and went on to do a WC in my 10 gallon betta tank. When I started to refill the fresh water I realized I had forgotten to add Prime to the water, and in the shrimp tank!

I immediately added the Prime to the shrimp tank. I guess maybe 15 minutes had passed. None of the shrimp were acting strange or looked off in any way. I figured I had dodged a bullet so I fed as usual.

This morning none of the food had been eaten. I thought that was strange but maybe just stress from having been exposed to unconditioned water last night. I did another small WC, basically just enough to siphon out the uneaten food. When I added back the fresh water, definitely dechlorinating this time, it hit the fan. One of my best shrimp had a freak out, zipped backwards halfway around the tank and went into convulsions. It is laying on its back in the gravel just twitching its legs, swimmerets, and body. After a while I noticed a second shrimp doing the same thing!

The others still look more or less normal so far. A few might be more pale than usual. I'm not sure if another water change is going to make things better or worse. The troubled shrimp are definitely alive, but I don't know if any might have died in the night. I can only see a few out right now as there are lots of hiding places in the tank. Besides the 2 sick shrimp, I can see 4 that are acting more or less normal. There should be 4 others that I don't see.

I use Equilibrium because my water has zero detectable hardness & I've read that shrimp (and plants) require a certain amount of minerals in the water to be healthy. Because the volume is so small, I basically just add a tiny dash to a WC. The pH in the tank is higher than the tap because of seashells I put in the water to raise it slightly. That's why I'm afraid to do any more WC at this time. I don't want to kill the rest of the shrimp too!

Has anyone ever had distressed shrimp that recovered? Anyone else ever witness shrimp convulsions?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, not the kind of fish tank excitement you want.

If the shrimp only went 15 minutes without Prime, I doubt it was that. I've gone 3 hours and then remembered to add it, with no ill effects.

I've never seen behavior like that and I've kept ghosts, bamboo, amano and RCS.

Teishokue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do not do a water change. what they need right now is a stable condition. leave them alone and see what they feel. My CRS hates water changes but I typically do it when the lights are out. you might just have shocked the shrimp. If they still are not eating by the end of the week then you have a problem or if 1 shrimp is dying everyday

Jelly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it wasn't the Prime, then it must have been the water I added this morning. It was left over from the 10 gal WC last night, but I added a few extra drops of conditioner to it. I guess it's possible that there was too high a concentration of Equilibrium in it, since it's the last of the pitcher. If that's the case, doing another WC might help?

EDIT: Oh, just saw your post Teishokue. I'll hold off.

aylad

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think I agree with Teishokue. Probably should just leave them alone for now and wait for further developments.

jileha

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hope the rest of your shrimp recover!

Maybe there was some fluctuation in your tap water? Or your pinch of Equilibrium was larger than usually as you already suspect. It could also be the lack of Prime, as the zooming around can be a sign of poisoning. I don't know whether the effect can take such a long time to manifest itself, but I guess some metals act more slowly on the central nervous system.

I agree with holding off further WC and hoping for the best!

Jelly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm just sick about this.

So far the two obviously sick shrimp are still twitching. I don't know how many healthy shrimp are left. We'll see what becomes of them by the time I get home from work tonight. Some of them were just about to reach maturity, too.

Jelly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, the news is not good.

I just got home from work & first thing I did was check the tank. I see one lone shrimp laying in the gravel, spazzing out just like this morning. I can't find a single additional shrimp, sick or well, alive or dead. They must either have gone transparent, or else they are all under the coconut cave, which would be unprecedented. I'm so scared to lift it up and see!

Maybe I'll put in some food and see if I can lure them out? Or should I just get it over with and take out the coconut cave and see all their little dead bodies under there?

Jelly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not brave enough to lift up the coconut yet, but I did put in some food.

I have spotted a second spasming shrimp. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure it's the same two that were freaking out earlier today. Is it possible that these two are releasing some kind of distress pheromone that have sent the other healthy (I hope!) shrimp into hiding?

Jelly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are all succumbing, one by one. I thought I might have been in the clear with only two losses this morning, but when I got home from work today, several more shrimp are down and spazzing out. This does not look good. It's like they have no control over their bodies, twitching so bad they can't stay upright.

shelleyd2008

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can you take them out and put them in fresh water? I don't know if it would help but it doesn't sound like it would hurt either.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom