Have I forgotten anything???

1. HitchHiker Member Member

Well last night I was able to visit 2 of our 3 LFS and get and idea of what fish are available here locally. So now I am going through my equipment, or rather lack of equipment and wanted to make sure that I haven't forgotten something. The items with an asterisk next to them are what I have now, everything else I still need to get. So here it goes:

55 Gal tank with cabinet stand*
    Rena XP3 Filter*
    Power Head (not sure if this will be needed or why yet)*
    API Master Test Kit (seemed to be the most highly recommended here)*
    Foam 30 Pads*
    Foam 20 Pads
    Biological Medias
    Micro Filtration Pad
    Scenery
    Sand
    Filter water/Treated water
    In-Line Heater
    Hose for Filter (everything seemed to be red from algae)
    Thermometer
    Lighting

As you can see I still have a bit of stuff to get before I can cycle my tank and finally come to a decision on fish. Thanks again for all of your help.

2. Shadowbeam Member Member

hey, sounds like you are pretty well prepred hehe. You will need something to clean the sand, mind has gone a bit blank as to what you call them, but it's a siphon you use to stir up the sand to get the debris out.

Also, I'd recommend getting some prime as the water conditioner, as it makes things such as ammonia safe for the fish for 24 hours if you have, say, an ammonia spike(wlthough doesn't remove it).

I'm sure iv'e forgotten something but hope that helps?

Not familiar myself with some of the things you have listed so sorry if you've listed this stuff under a different name!

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Food :) How are you cycling the tank?

4. Shadowbeam Member Member

That WOULD come in handy haha!!

5. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

Hey your doing pretty good though!!. The tank, cabinet and filter are the most expensive parts sooo your doing great. I agree you'll need a gravel Vac and you'll probably need a net as well. Prime is a great water conditioner and is very concentrated so you use much less then other conditioners. For your sand I'd recommend getting pool filter sand, it's cheap, clean, and works well for all kinds of fish, I have it in my 120. There is a thread about aquascaping around here somewhere, members really get creative and most items can be bought for pretty cheap. I'll find it and post the link for ya. I'd recommend getting the thermometer with the suction cup that you can put inside your tank it's more reliable and it's cheaper..lol..Are you seeing a theme here??. :;laughing I spoil my fish babies but I do save money where I can so I can spend it on food and plants and more fish!!. I'm anxious to see your tank all set up!!.

6. HitchHiker Member Member

Thanks guys, I am trying to get a complete list, before I do the major shopping trip as I have to drive to another city for the "LFS", and I hate forgetting that one little thing, like the net, thanks CHoffman, and the gravel vac, thanks Shadowbeam. As far as food goes I will be holding off on that until I know what fish I will be getting.

To cycle the tank I was hoping to find a someone local that has a good setup that I can grab some well used media from. Other wise I was going to more than likely use the tetra safestart.

7. Shadowbeam Member Member

I'm the same hitch, It's a big trip to my LFS (the good one in town that is) and I hate going to get loads of stuff and forgetting something ;)
    It's great to see someone giving to much thought before hand.

Which fish were you thinking of getting?

Wish you all the best on your tank, I look forward to hearing how you get on :)

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you can't get some used media, which ought to be plentiful at the lfs, see if you can get some gravel (provided there are no snails). I would take some of the gravel, put it in a mesh bag (or a stocking) and put it in the filter in front of the media if possible. The bacteria on the gravel will colonize the media the same way a piece of used media will.

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    Looks like you've got a pretty good start!
    How about a net to scoop fish? Personally, I don't use a net all that much. I use a clean plastic cup or a hang on the tank plastic breeder box (which is also good for acclimating fish)

10. Shadowbeam Member Member

More minds are better than one :D Together we can come up with everything you need I'll bet!
    Great suggestions so far anyway :)

11. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

I would not recommend any "used" media from an LFS!!! Who knows what else is in it. If you can't find a good aquarium hoppyest near you....go for the long cycle. Sorry but if you want tp get a jump on the cycling, get a safe jump. Most Fish Stores have too many other things rotating thru their tanks.

12. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

What about an airstone, airline, check valve and airpump. It's not necessary but I do run them in all my tanks. It looks good and the fish LOVE it.

13. HitchHiker Member Member

Here is a question that I have been having about the cycle does temperature have an effect on it.

***EDIT***

Just finished rereading the article on the cycle and see that if I keep the water at 80-82 F I can speed it up. So here is my next question, if I take a clean 5 gal. bucket and start the cycle in there with my filter, will the filter be ready for when I move it over to the full tank after Christmas?

14. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

You could do that, but when you are cycling a tank that is all set up. Gravel, plants, rocks, etc...The bacteria grows on all of it. The gravel is a big place for the good bacteria to grow and stay. even the sides of glass..

15. HitchHiker Member Member

hmmmmm... so if I did a sorta mini set up in the 5 gal bucket with the sand and all I could get a jump on the cycle. I think that I might do that, besides I think that it will help me keep from jumping the gun and wanting to add fish before the tank is fully cycled.

16. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

Yup you can def do that. :) Why are you wanting to use the 5gallon bucket instead of your tank though?

17. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think that would work

18. HitchHiker Member Member

Waiting because the tank will go where Christmas Tree is now. :p

19. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

:D..lol..Darn those Christmas Trees anyway..Just teasin. We had to rearrange our whole Living Room to get this huge 9ft Christmas Tree my husband had to have..lol.

20. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Hitch. Your shopping list and list of things you have is looking great. Too, great suggestions by others.
    Yes, the temperature can effect your cycling. The warmer the water, the faster it will cycle. As long as your doing a fishless cycle I would bump up the heat to 85 degrees. Then you can lower it prior to adding fish.

You can start your cycle in a bucket if you choose to do so. However, if you plan to use Tetra Safe Start then fish have to be added right away. And it's my understanding it's best to add your entire stocking list. So in this case I would avoid the bucket.

Ken