Have I Finally Done The Impossible?!?!

CaptainAquatics

Hi! So as some of you know my only LFS is a local Petco, this petco is on the much better side of petcos but it doesn't QT fish obviously. This always ensures I do QT fish, however there is one fish I have never been able to keep without them dying of ich, the clown loach. I wasn't properly prepared before however they always died of ich. However currently I have three Clown Loaches in my QT tank that are active and they eat well with no signs of ich. Crossing my fingers

Zniaz

Haha, looks like you've done it. You have mastered the art of saving fish from petco and walmart

Enjoy the clown loaches!
(P.S, to keep them active like they are, I really recommend keeping them in larger groups, but your choice)

CaptainAquatics

Haha, looks like you've done it. You have mastered the art of saving fish from petco and walmart

Enjoy the clown loaches!
(P.S, to keep them active like they are, I really recommend keeping them in larger groups, but your choice)

I would love to have a larger group I just don't have the space or budget. I am very exited, they aren't done in QT but they have been doing well

loner556

I'm really glad you found some that seem to be thriving and disease free. Fingers crossed for you and thumbs up for quarantining. I can't stress it enough, especially with the stock available today.

The stock of almost all chains as well as a lot of LFS stock now are just not hardy and almost always seem to have issues / disease. 20+ years ago this never really happened and I felt I had a wide variety of places to buy from. Now, I almost always see fish with problems or tanks with a high death rate with no apparent reason. It's really frustrating when looking for new fish, or even worse, buying them and having trouble. I'd probably have double the amount of tanks and fish if it wasn't so bad. I've gotten to where I just don't go to the stores close to me BC I've seen big problems in all of them.

I've found a fish store that's over an hour from me in a pretty bad part of town but I'm willing make the drive BC they quarantine fish before moving them to the floor for sale. Only store I know that does this. Their tanks are extremely clean and the fish look healthy. The fish I've bought from them went through my home quarantine with no problems, are thriving and have healthy appetites.

Just to give a perspective, I bought some Bolivian rams months ago from Petsmart that ended up having camallanus worms (impulse buy as I was looking for Bolivians and having trouble finding them near me). I treated them successfully for the camallanus (still have both) but they've just never seemed to have much of an appetite and are both on the thinner side. Then, I bought 2 Bolivians from my new found LFS and was shocked at the difference in color, activity and appetites. Almost like two different breeds. The two new ones have nice round bellies and are always begging for food.

Anyway, I hope you continue to have success from Petco. Keep quarantining BC, as you know, it's a roll of the dice buying in today's market.

CaptainAquatics

I'm really glad you found some that seem to be thriving and disease free. Fingers crossed for you and thumbs up for quarantining. I can't stress it enough, especially with the stock available today.

The stock of almost all chains as well as a lot of LFS stock now are just not hardy and almost always seem to have issues / disease. 20+ years ago this never really happened and I felt I had a wide variety of places to buy from. Now, I almost always see fish with problems or tanks with a high death rate with no apparent reason. It's really frustrating when looking for new fish, or even worse, buying them and having trouble. I'd probably have double the amount of tanks and fish if it wasn't so bad. I've gotten to where I just don't go to the stores close to me BC I've seen big problems in all of them.

I've found a fish store that's over an hour from me in a pretty bad part of town but I'm willing make the drive BC they quarantine fish before moving them to the floor for sale. Only store I know that does this. Their tanks are extremely clean and the fish look healthy. The fish I've bought from them went through my home quarantine with no problems, are thriving and have healthy appetites.

Just to give a perspective, I bought some Bolivian rams months ago from Petsmart that ended up having camallanus worms (impulse buy as I was looking for Bolivians and having trouble finding them near me). I treated them successfully for the camallanus (still have both) but they've just never seemed to have much of an appetite and are both on the thinner side. Then, I bought 2 Bolivians from my new found LFS and was shocked at the difference in color, activity and appetites. Almost like two different breeds. The two new ones have nice round bellies and are always begging for food.

Anyway, I hope you continue to have success from Petco. Keep quarantining BC, as you know, it's a roll of the dice buying in today's market.

Fully agree! I hope to one day own a fish store and I plan to QT fish if I do ever own one. Most people will just buy from the tanks with fish that have gone through QT, however if someone REALLY wants a fish but I only have them in QT and they are willing to take the risk, I will let them get it (maybe even for reduced price)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gone
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
Eienna
Replies
Views