Have Glofish, Frogs, And Yellow Snail

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sometimes fish are more active when stressed.

I'm not trying to make this difficult on you, but we do look out for the fish's best interests here on Fishlore, even if it goes against the wishes of the fish owner. A 20 gal tank would be much better for them, and you'd have room to increase their school and add a bottom feeder like a single species of cory (6 individuals at the least) or kuhli loaches

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry if you answered previously, I didn't see you mention it, but is your tank cycled?

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For now I'm gonna stick with this tank...time and money invested in them so I'd like to enjoy it for a while. The fiah, frogs, snail are all pretty active. So far so good... I think
Your tank looks great. I had a similar issue with my glow-tetras when I had 4. One of them actually fin-nipped another, ultimately killing it. I replaced that one with 2, upping my numbers to 5. It stopped the fin-nipping and they started schooling behavior. I also have a 10g tank. I am keeping my numbers just as they are also. In addition I have a dwarf gourami fish. They all seem very happy just as they are. I do caution to keep on top of testing your water. You may need to do water changes twice a week instead of once, but otherwise it seems like you are doing quite well with it. Good luck!

b754817cda638f1d8d49fcca748e0a5f.jpg

Danjamesdixon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Eating and swimming are not conducive to a relaxed fish. As Texas says - we aren't trying to get one up on you or make you spend money, we really are looking out for the fish. Otherwise we wouldn't be bringing it up.

At the end of the day - we're ALL here for the fish, including you I assume. We're here because we won't accept anything less than the best for our fish. Which is nothing less than they deserve; they didn't ask to be in your tank, and their entire existence is based around the decisions you make.

Just my 2c

rmurray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I didn't read everything but I get that people talked about your stocking.
Doing this financially well I'd suggest upgrading to a 20l this can be found at petco for $20 to 35 depending on the time of year and sales. Also, your filter over time you will learn is inadequate for your stocking assuming you have the 10gallon kit. I know this because I did the same thing you did, trust me most of us have been exactly where you are. So shortly after upgrading the tank upgrade a filter. An ac (aquaclear) 30/50 or a fluval c3. With the c3 you shouldn't need a second filter down the road and can replace the media with cheaper alternatives making this filter more efficient but cheaper in the long run than your current one. Next the light, you can run your current one till it goes out. My aqueon lasted about 3 months... after that an led on amazon is around 30 to 40, looks better, works better and last longer.
The hood. A cheap plastic one or look at the king of diy on YouTube. He uses greenhouse material which is cheap and durable for just dollars.
Heater, $15 or so depending on your home temperature you can use the small 10g one until you upgrade.
Substrate. Take some play sand $5 from Home Depot for more than you will ever need and mix it with your current rocks to provide enough substrate.
So 20gal long cost
$20 tank
$45 fluval c3
$5 Substrate
$15 heater
$10 hood
$95 total.
Sell the 10gal kit on Craigslist for $40 or keep it for frogs/snails and quarantine.
My 38 bowfront kit was $100 on sale. The tank has had $80 in filters added and I'll be upgrading the light for around $40 so I wouldn't recommend a kit just because it seams like a better deal unless you know the hidden cost.
Nothing is cheap about this hobby and you will become hooked, happy fishkeeping.

Dayna Ann

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just want to clarify that even if you think the tank doesn't look to small for the fish; meaning they seem to have a good amount of room to swim around, is not the reason people will say your tank is too small. The tank is too small b/c the fish bioload is too large for that amount of water.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One thing that beginners make when thinking their fish are stress or sick is thinking the fish will be dead, physically beaten, physical signs of a disease, not eating, and not swimming. Although these are symptoms they aren't all nor the right one for everything. When it comes to tank size, the stress is hard to tell since its indirectly affects them since they are less active than they would be. Unless the fish is seriously ill, it will always swim and eat, 2 essential for life. No matter what animal, all animals will try to eat and move till they die. Your fish are active since they are in a small tank, if you bounce a ball in a 30 gallon aquarium it will not bounce so fast however bounce the same ball with the same amount of energy and force in a 10 gallon and well, it will seem fast. Basically your containing all their energy in to a smaller space making them seem more active. So in this case, activity isn't the way to judge of stress.

Also the glofish you have are black skirt tetras, a very energetic fish, they are also one of the bigger fish and get about 2-2.3". This is more than 2x the size of what some of the proper schooling fish are able to live in a 10 gallon.

Definitely agree with TexasDomer, this forum is more focused on the fish care, and not really the owner This is what makes this forum one of the best compared to other since we are known to actually care for fish and won't recommend anything that will harm your fish but only to benefit it and provide it the best and or at least the minimum.

Civanna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hahaha aww! Well I was told to get fish for relaxation purposes but this is the most stressful thing ever haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 28 66.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 6 14.3%

Top Bottom