Have Glofish, Frogs, And Yellow Snail

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by George Guseman, Mar 3, 2017.

1. George Guseman

George GusemanNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have 4 glofish tetra, 2 African dwarf frogs, and a yellow snail in a 10 gallon tank. They are doing great, but after a few days the fish seem to be bickering more...making runs at each other and not schooling as much. Do I need 6 for a good school?

Thanks for your help...LOVING the aquarium so far.

-George

2. EternalDancer

EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +270
    Experience:
    1 year
    I would suggest that a 10g is too small for everything you have in there, and probably still too small for glo's on their own. You may do better to return them and just keep the frogs and the snail.

I'm still new though, and there are certainly people here who could advise better.

@TexasDomer @Al913 or @Anders247 come to mind.

3. pacmanfrog101

pacmanfrog101Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  4. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    Might be best to return the tetras, as they really need 20+ gallon. I also, personally, would not mix ADFs with fish, as ADFs have very poor eyesight and anything that gets within range of their mouth is potential food to them.

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,064
    Experience:
    2 years
    A 10 gal with just the frogs and the snail would be great though!

6. OP
    OP
    George Guseman

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    Just started
    Two different pet stores told me that the fish and frogs were fine together...they all seem to be doing fine...just noticed some aggression between the fish towards each other today and was looking for ways to help them out...it seems like 6 is the magic number of glo tetras...they aren't big fish at all so I don't quite get the overcrowding issue with them...but again, I haven't had anything but a betta for any substantial amount of time...I really appreciate everyone's input and just want to get this right :)

7. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    You -can- keep frogs and fish together, but you'll always run the risk that a nearsighted frog will take a bite out of one of your fish.

Tank stocking can get tricky, and you can't always use the "one inch per gallon" rule successfully. By that rule's logic, a 10" fish would be fine in a 10 gallon tank (and unfortunately I'm sure there is somebody out there who has kept such a large fish this way)! There are several factors that need to be taken into account, not limited to the fish's mature size. These factors include level of activity, bioload (how much waste and ammonia they produce), and aggression. That is the current issues with the tetras. They have a tendency to become stressed and aggressive in an incomplete school, as well as in a tank that doesn't support their activity level.

8. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    So sadly many stores think glofish can go in a 10 gallon since the company sells 10 gallon glofish kits. However glofish consist of:skirt tetras, tiger barbs, and zebra danios

9. pacmanfrog101

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Quite honestly, you should never have to ask a pet store employee for help, whenever you go, you should know exactly what you need and what fish are appropriate for you. This hobby is 90%, research 10% execution.

10. OP
    OP
    George Guseman

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    Just started
    Understood, that's why I'm asking questions... Lol...we went for two frogs to replace my daughters beta fish that died... Turned into all of this... I relied on the store and will do my best to keep these new family members Happy

11. Danjamesdixon

DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +480
    Experience:
    3 years
    100% agreed^

This hobby isn't one where you go to the store unarmed, and come back with fish. It's one of extensive personal research.

"Glofish" are generally modifed White Skirt Tetra, which get far too big for a 10gal, not to mention swimming space. The aggression is unlikely to stop as they mature. If it were me, i'd return them.

UNLESS

Bigger tank

12. pacmanfrog101

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    George, an idea that you might want to look into is going to an LFS. A lot of them usually have a used equipment section where you can go get next to new equipment. The thing is that the moment you do anything to a tank it uses almost all its value. You can probably get a 20 or 30 for a great price. After that the fish might be okay for a few days while you you prep a new tank and water. That is if you wanted the fish more than frogs. We can help you figure this out and help your fish.

Just remember, were always here to help with any questions and give advice. I'd ask texasdomer for help with your stocking to begin with.

13. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Agreed.

14. OP
    OP
    George Guseman

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    Just started
    So it seems like 5 glo tetras, 2 frogs, and my golden snail are doing great... Loving the aquarium... They eat for me and seem to be satisfied

Attached Files:

15. TexasDomer

Ratings:
    +9,064
    Experience:
    2 years
    The tank is too small for the tetras, as they should be in a bigger group in a larger tank. You would likely notice a difference in activity levels if you upgraded, but if you won't do that, best of luck with this tank! Glofish can be really pretty.

16. OP
    OP
    George Guseman

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    Just started
    For now I'm gonna stick with this tank...time and money invested in them so I'd like to enjoy it for a while. The fiah, frogs, snail are all pretty active. So far so good... I think

17. TexasDomer

Ratings:
    +9,064
    Experience:
    2 years
    It's very difficult to see fish stress, and your fish aren't in a big enough group.

Upgrading doesn't have to be expensive I'm on a student budget, and I make it work by buying used setups and waiting for good deals. If you're in the US, it's very doable to upgrade for under $100 (sometimes under $50 if you can find a good used deal), and it's not hard to sell your old equipment and make some money back Can you tell I've done this a few times?

18. OP
    OP
    George Guseman

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    Just started
    Oh I know....I don't want them stressing...they def aren't though... I'll keep an eye on them

19. TexasDomer

Ratings:
    +9,064
    Experience:
    2 years
    How do you know? That's the problem, stress in fish isn't always visible.

20. OP
    OP
    George Guseman

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thats true...thanks for your input... I'm just gauging it on they are eating regularly and are active in the tank