Have Figured Out Discus Mortality Problem

Fishlady55

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have recently started breeding discus, and had run into some issues with the babies. Despite my best efforts, they were growing slowly and had started to die off.
Tank parameters: 84 degrees, Ph 6.5, no nitrates, no phosphates, kh 3 and no heavy metals. I use ro di which produces 0 tds. I use sumps, have lots of biological filtration, use chemipure and carbon. Water changes are on a daily basis. I also mixed 1/2 tap water to 1/2 ro water.
I feed flakes, pellets and homemade discus diet. Fish are fed three to six times a day depending on age.
After receiving numerous suggestions and trying numerous solutions I have narrowed it down to one problem. Something in the tap water (well water) is detrimental to the younge ones health. The well water tds is over 300, and living on a farm doesn't help-well water is notorious for contamination. About a week ago I stopped mixing in tap water and low and behold,,, babies stopped dying, have started growing and adults have resumed spawning activity!! I add trace elements on a weekly basis but I know I can't use straight ro water forever,,, Any ideas out there?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fishlady55 said:
I have recently started breeding discus, and had run into some issues with the babies. Despite my best efforts, they were growing slowly and had started to die off.
Tank parameters: 84 degrees, Ph 6.5, no nitrates, no phosphates, kh 3 and no heavy metals. I use ro di which produces 0 tds. I use sumps, have lots of biological filtration, use chemipure and carbon. Water changes are on a daily basis. I also mixed 1/2 tap water to 1/2 ro water.
I feed flakes, pellets and homemade discus diet. Fish are fed three to six times a day depending on age.
After receiving numerous suggestions and trying numerous solutions I have narrowed it down to one problem. Something in the tap water (well water) is detrimental to the younge ones health. The well water tds is over 300, and living on a farm doesn't help-well water is notorious for contamination. About a week ago I stopped mixing in tap water and low and behold,,, babies stopped dying, have started growing and adults have resumed spawning activity!! I add trace elements on a weekly basis but I know I can't use straight ro water forever,,, Any ideas out there?
Carbon will remove most chemical contaminants in water. If your well water contains contaminants that are related to farming - ferts, pesticides, herbicides, animal waste byproducts etc., carbon filtration might help. It won't, however, remove metal contaminants like copper, mercury, lead etc. If I had well water I thought was killing my fish, I would send a sample to an independent water testing facility and have the whole big slew of contaminant testing done on it (expensive but peace of mind) at least once every five years or so.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Re mineralize yourself .
I used driveway ice melter for Ca, Epsom salt for MG and Baking soda to reach the TDS I wanted for my rams ..
10 gallon Ca ,7.5 MG ,5 baing soda . I mixed that in my 32 g Rubbermaid with 20TDS ro water and I got around 100TDS which was my target for the rams .
My formula came from a much more experienced keeper who also added a touch of marine salt,lemon juice and soaked a bag of peat .I never got that carried away since less is more IMO..

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello
Are the wild discus fry your raising?

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would have your well water tested, sounds like there could be contamination in it...
When you were mixing half tap water and half ro water were you still adding trace elements to it? Because from what you have wrote im thinking if you did add trace elements as well you may have been over dosing the TDS? And that might have been the issue? As you said the tap water had already 300 TDS in it...
As for what you can do now, do you have rain water tanks on the farm?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom