Have breeding fish and a 1 gallon jar

blackwater

So i have some red neon blue eyes in a 15 gallon and they've started breeding. I'm really new to breeding cause I've never had my fish lay eggs but now they are. I also have a 1.5 gallon jar. I'm thinking of scooping out a few eggs and leaving the rest in for the adults to eat. That way the tank doesnt overpopulate. Is it possible to raise fry in a jar?

BlackOsprey

You'd probably have more success with either setting up a 5-10g tank at least, or keeping the fry in a breeder net in the main tank. It'd be hard to keep conditions stable and clean in a small jar.

blackwater

I have a 5 gallon fluval, would that work?
Im afraid they would get sucked in the filter

sslliitthheerr

you also have the option of buying an extra bubble filter for the growing process of them its only like 20 to 30 bucks to set one up with a cheap air pump and tube

MacZ

red neon blue eyes
Honestly... though egg laying they have a deserved reputation of breeding like guppies. And there is no imperative to grow out every fry appearing in your tank. Take your time and observe how many even make it in your tank without intervention. I am positive you will still get some fry to make it even if you stay passive and don't do anything.

SparkyJones

it's possible to hatch eggs to fry in a jar, but no, the jar has no cycle, and you can't raise them in there, the moment they produce waste it's over and the jar goes foul and everyone dies.

It's not hard at all to hatch eggs in a 1 gallon jar. even hundreds at a time, all the way to free swimming as long as they are on yolk sacks. The fish have to be moved to a tank or container that's cycled in order to keep them alive once feeding and waste comes into the picture. and well if you gotta do that anyways, might as well just start in a 5 or 10g that's relatively cheap and cycle it with a sponge filter, and do it all right there. Even if you had a filter on it, and cycled, a 1g jar isn't gonna get them past the 2nd week.

If they are small and few fish, a 5g might make it a month. 10g might make it 2 months, it gets crowded quick as they grow.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Ckline
  • Question
Replies
Views
zorianak
Replies
Views
Linda1234