20 Gallon Tank Have any stocking ideas?

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, just looking for ideas. If I get rid of my 4 zebra danios and get 1 Bolivian ram what other nice fish could I put in that would be compatible and fit? I like the idea of lots of different pretty fish but also don't want to overstock and make other fish unhappy etc. Just shoot me any ideas or even what you would do thanks.

1 Bolivian Ram
??????

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lots of different fish and a 20 gallon tank don't mix well

You could keep a couple schools of small fish (under 2 inches).

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thats why i asked for suggestions, iv heard the danios and the Bolivian ram have a good chance of incompatibility because of 1)fin nipping and 2) high activity

if i kept the danios then what other particular fish could I get besides cories as Im having trouble finding pygmy and dainty cories. also they are so small...do you think they would get bullied? Are they any fish that would fit that you don't have to get 6 to 8 of?

Last edited:

Kyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi there FLgirl,

I stocked a similar size tank last year, and my initial stocking suggestions from members were:6 Danios,
10 glowlights OR 10 neon Tetras and 4-5 bronze cories.

ofcourse things changed, i bought 8 danios and came home with 11 (LFS can't count) and so didnt get a 2nd school but had 4 panda cories. but once the danios got to their full size, they did frighten the pandas and one got nipped on its back fin and never recovered, so i returned them for the last 2 peppered cories the shop had. because they are bigger they do fine with the danios around. pygmys are even smaller than panda cories, so from personal experience i might worry about bullying.

cant help with suggestions of other fish sadly as i hav limited species experience, but hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge can help you out with that part

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Harlequin rasboras are nice, or you could go with a smaller tetra like neon, cardinal, von rio, glowlight, rummynose, etc. If you want your Bolivian ram to have the whole bottom to itself, you could get a school of hatchets as well. Or, if you want a little more activity at the bottom, you could try some cories or kuhli loaches.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think it's a high, its not the taller than longer one buts its not the really long one either it is (24'' long - 16'' tall - 12'')

thanks I will think about what everyone said and look up the fish...I still will not be getting any more for awhile... theres so many fish and sometimes I look at dif profiles and think it will fit but turns out it wont. I think I may pass on the corries I really like them allot but because you have to get like 5-6 I heard and I don't think Id have enough room...maybe with pygmies (i read they are not big bottom dwellers like reg corries are) but I'm not sure I want to try that even if I found them around because of their size.

I haven't fully decided if I will keep the danios yet or not. I have reg zebra danios that were bought for me and they were not my choice. I actually kinda like them though now because Iv had them awhile and they been going thru this cycle process with me and Id feel bad getting rid of them I feel like once we are totally for sure stable I should try and give them the best of the best after having to go thru that......not sure how I would get rid of them anyhow but no one else in my family really likes them but its no bid deal to them if all I have is danios lol I like how there are many different varieties of zebra danios too because you could make a group out of the different kinds and its almost like you have allot of different kind of fish but they are all zebra danios.

I was just curious if anyone had any dif ideas, thanks for all the opinions I'm still just thinking of things and researching.

mizzoufan96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just stocked a 20 gallon tall. I have 6 orange and silve platies, 1 corrie cat, and 2 SAE's
The SAEs are really cool cus they are like mini plecos and they go really fast around the tank playing with eachother.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Personally, I like the bolivian ram better than danios, because the ram is more docile and can have a greater variety of tankmates.

Keeping the danios:

8 zebra danios
4 peppered corydoras
*This is a subtropical tank

Actually, that's all I can think of now.

Bolivian rams have so many more tankmates:

Gourami or hatchetfish for upper dwellers

Neon tetras, glowlights, or any small, docile tetra (no serpaes or barbs)

Try to avoid too robust bottom dwellers, though

Maybe some pygmy cories, otos, or kuhli loaches. Stay away from CAE, SAE, and larger catfish.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I called no one takes fish in from individuals they only sell so I have to keep them. IDK where I will go from here. thanks for the responses.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom