Have a made a mistake with my shrimp (cross breeding)

EyelessCrow

So generally I overthink a lot of the things I do, and I either got some bad info or I just plain didn't realize what could happen. Now I'm panicking (for some reason, I guess it doesn't matter) because I'm now thinking my intended 30 gallon shrimp only tank, full of color, is about to have A LOT of brown shrimp. Now I know that I can keep neocaridina and caridina together if my water parameters are okay. I cycled my tank, used only water I had. I didn't fuss with chasing parameters. I was going to get shrimp that would be fine in my tank. Unless I made a mistake it seems like both do well. They seem to be doing well.

My issue is this. I threw in
Blue Bolts
Golden Bees
Crystal Reds
Blood Mary's
Orange Sakuras

Basically I'm looking to get confirmation on this: I've made a mis-step haven't I?

EDIT: Forgot to add that I have...tons...of little baby shrimp all over. I mean I'm happy...but I should have limited it to one of each species right?

Demeter

You've got 2 species in there, the bloody marys and orange sakura are Neocaridina davidI while the others are Caridina cf. cantonensis, the 2 species cannot hybridize so you are safe there. You likely will end up with many natural colored of both species though as the different strains mix.

If you want to keep pure colors of the ones you have then definitely separate them all by color, leave the berried females in the mixed tank until the eggs hatch though. You can keep a color of Neocaridina davidI with one color of Caridina cf. cantonensis to save space. Other than that enjoy your mixed batch of babies! I'd have a hay day separating the young as they color up and playing with their genetics to see what I get.

david1978

You may even have a few interesting colors pop out.

Mcasella

The blue bolts, golden bees, and crystals can produce new morphs - with them being caridina they are less likely to produce wild colored shrimp (natural color). The orange and blood mary should be separated because they will produce natural colored shrimp over time.
I have blue bolts with oranges, cherries with crystal blacks, snowballs (which are a separate species from regular neos like cherries) with my crystal reds, and my blues have wine reds with them (the wine reds are in with the greens in a net separated because I need to redo that tank's substrate and didn't want to have to catch them the hard way). My browns are in a separate tank because I don't have another caridina species yet.

EyelessCrow

Awesome thanks for the replies I will take what I got and play with it

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views
Jocelyn Adelman
Replies
Views