Have 2 New Heaters But Can't Keep Temp Up...

manooly

This is a strange situation. I have a tank that is about 8 weeks old. It is a 36 gallon tank. It came with a 100 watt heater. I just bought another 200 watt heater for a backup. I kept hearing people saying it is a good idea to have two heaters running at the same time. My strange situation is that I cannot keep the temperature above 82 for some reason. I am trying to treat ICH by raising my temp to around 85-86 for a couple of weeks (recommended by this site). I have both heaters cranked up to the max (88) and am still sitting around only 82 degrees. I am confused as to why I cannot get to the 85-86 degree mark. I also have two types of thermometers too. One on the outside of the tank and one on the inside both reading the same thing. I thought I would be easily reaching the temps I wanted with this new 200 watt thermometer. I know it is overkill for this tank but there was a sale for another 100 watt or a 200 watt heater for the same price. I figured it would be better to have the larger one running less often. Has anyone ever seen a similar situation? Any suggestions or reasons why I'm not reaching my desired temperature? I look forward to any and all replies.

BTW: Both heaters are the...
Aqueon® Submersible Aquarium Heater (100 watt and a 200 watt)

Does it matter that they are both on the same surge protector??

Thanks for your time!

- manooly

TexasDomer

It shouldn't matter that they're on the same surge protector.

How long have they been cranked up to max?

What's your air temp?

Are you sure your thermometer is accurate?

sapphire

Is your tank near a window or outside wall and its very cold out? I had that problem one year...

manooly

Have been cranked up over a full 24 hours.

Air temp is around 67 degrees (finished basement, fully insulated and comfortable).

Both thermometers (one in the water - one tape thermometer on the side) reading around 82.

Not near a window.

Thanks for your reply!

- manooly

TexasDomer

Give it more time - it may take longer than a day.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • blindfaith429
  • Heater
Replies
Views
blindfaith429
Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views