Haunted Fish Tank???

mistycheri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Something strange is happening since I did my last water change a few days ago.  I have a 55 gal. tank that since the water change has started making strange noises. 
It's not a constant noise, and it sounds kinda like a loud, tap, knock, bump, creak?  I don't know, but it's annoying.  I've looked all around the tank with a flash light, checked the filter, airpump, everything I can think of, and I can't see anything out of the ordinary.  I can't even tell if it's coming from inside the tank or outside.  Like I said, it's not a constant noise.  Just every now and then I'll hear this mysterious knock, bump, creak coming from the tank.  It doesn't have any kind of rhythm to it, it's like:  bump, several seconds later another knock or bump, or sometimes several in a row.  It's driving me crazy!!!

Does anyone, anywhere, have any idea what this noise is????

Dazed and Confused in Georgia! :-\

cyber99fish

Reaction score
Start with the moving parts. What kind of filter is it. if it uses a standard impeller, they make a knock sound if they get stuck for a sec or get air in them. :-\

Could be the stand settling if its wood. Could be the structure of the tank is flexing. (that last one could be a real problem if it proves o be true)

Anyone ever had a tank fail?? that's my worst nightmare.

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
cyber99fish said:
Start with the moving parts.  What kind of filter is it.  if it uses a standard impeller, they make a knock sound if they get stuck for a sec or get air in them.   :-\ 

Could be the stand settling if its wood.  Could be the structure of the tank is flexing.  (that last one could be a real problem if it proves o be true)

Anyone ever had a tank fail??  that's my worst nightmare.
My tank is cracked now does that count as failed?

cyber99fish

Reaction score
um

Yep.. yer done.. go replace asap. good news is all the stuff should transfer with some ease. don't wait, you'd be surprised how much damage 50 gallons of water can do.

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
cyber99fish said:
um 

Yep.. yer done..  go replace asap.  good news is all the stuff should transfer with some ease.    don't wait, you'd be surprised how much damage 50 gallons of water can do.
My tank is 10 gallons and my dad and I are getting a new tank today. Should I wait to cycle or not?

For the haunted sound I have no idea.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
if you have a hob filter I bet it's that making the noise. The moving parts get screwed up sometimes, or something could be caught in it. I had a filter that used to make the most awful clicking racket until I trashed it.

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sometimes fish can make a noise while eating or browsing the tank. My cories have made noises when they made the gravel push into the glass, and my bala sharks click when they eat all the time. Other than that I suppose you could check the impeller on the filter for anything, sometimes snails will get into mine and it will make a noise as their shell is crushed.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh yeah now htat you mention it my Cories make noises too. Sometimes if I scare them (they're super flighty Pygmies) they go crazy and start dashing around the tank crashing into everything, and they make a sort of vibrating noise. It's really wierd. Maybe it's their fins beating super fast?

Mollygurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
sometimes i hear noises in the night w/ my 10 G.my 3" common pleco makes a lot of racket in the night. maybe your plecos are having a party, complete w/ a sound system?! LOL ;D

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
   I started hearing a strange noise in my kitchen the other day, I thought there were leaves falling off the bouquet of flowers setting on the counter, then noticed after a day of it happening, (took me awhile),  I noticed the Chinease Algae Eater in the 10 gal was digging in the gravel.  He had dug out under a big rock, and had one corner cleaned down to the under water filter, and piled up around the heater.  When I  smooth it all out it isn't a day later and he has it his way again.  The thing about that water, is it amplifies the sound.  We really can hear the smallest shuffle of gravel.     That said, I would also think it is something going on with your working parts, filter, pumps etc.  You said it started after your last water change.   Did you have a pump going to a filter while the water was low?  If so there could be some damage to the pump.  Hope you figure it out.   

Fish in the Frozen North.  -2F and high wind this morning 

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Marc said:
Sometimes fish can make a noise while eating or browsing the tank. My cories have made noises when they made the gravel push into the glass, and my bala sharks click when they eat all the time. .
That is sooo true. You should hear my kribs eat....they make a big racket..

youngest-fish-nerd

Valued Member
Reaction score
all night i can hear my convict smashing gravel,
eating shrimp and craw fish,
it might be nothing,
if i had time i would reseal the tank,

kalika

Valued Member
Reaction score
What floor do you have your tank on? Could it be upstairs or on a floor that isn't cement and could it be your floorboards or support joists creaking? That can happen and you wouldn't want your tank to fall through the floor and crash down. What a mess it would be! Even a small 10 G tank can weigh over 150 pounds! If that isn't it and it isn't what others have suggested, then GOOD LUCK!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It sounds like a problem we just had with a filter in one of our 10 gallon tanks.. where the intake tube sticks into the filter had gotten clogged some with gravel dust and was causing it to make weird noises at random times.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom