Hatching/raising Amano Shrimp

Heathergk0

Warning, long post with lots of questions!! Okay so, when I got my amano shrimp, I knew there was a very slI'm chance of actually being able to successfully breed and raise the shrimplets... but now that my female is berried I can't help but want to try! I've done a bit of research, and I was hoping to get some advice on whether my plan sounds like it will work or not. I'm relatively new to everything fishkeeping-related, and I have absolutely zero experience breeding anything so your help is greatly appreciated! I should also note, I'm in a college dorm and have somewhat little space to work with, which is why I'm hoping to do things on a smallish scale.

So, my first step will be to put the berried female in a .7 gallon "betta cube" (from before I actually educated myself- I have two ten gallon tanks and a 4 gallon tub now for my three bettas). I'm planning on every other day water changes while she's in there, since I don't have a spare filter but shrimp have a pretty small bioload. Would every other day be sufficient, or should I plan on daily water changes? Also, Aquariadise says their temperature range is 68-86 degrees F, so will she be okay in there with no heater for a few days? The main tank is typically kept around 79 for the betta.

While waiting for the eggs to hatch, I'll set up a 1 gallon jar (henceforth referred to as "salty jar" :emoji_yum for the hatchlings. I'm planning on getting some marine salt, since I've heard aquarium salt won't do. According to Amano Shrimp and a few other sources I found, 30-35 ppt seems to produce the best results. I'm going to have to research more on exactly how to achieve that salt concentration, so if someone could point me toward some resources for that I would be grateful! I'll put an air stone in there and let it run while waiting for the eggs to hatch (I think that's what "venting" is? If I'm wrong please correct me).

Once the eggs hatch, momma shrimp goes back in the original tank. Then the babies go in the salty jar (I've read that no acclimation is necessary). I don't have any phytoplankton or green water, so I was going to try grinding up algae wafers and maybe some flake food into dust to feed the larvae. Will this work, and if so, how much do I feed them and how often? I'm guessing I will need to do water changes on the jar since there's no filter, but I how often should they be done? I could also throw in some java moss, which I've read is rather tolerant to salt, to take up some of the nitrogen waste.

Finally, once the larvae start to metamorphose, those that have changed should be acclimated to freshwater and then returned to the main tank. I've read that the shrimplets are pretty fast, so I'm thinking they'll be able to avoid my betta. He likes to pursue the shrimp once in a while, but he's a half moon and his big fins slow him down enough that the adults are able to evade him easily.

So what do you think? Have I missed anything? Do I have any chance of some babies surviving? With this plan the only thing I would need to buy is the marine salt, which is totally do-able. If it's necessary, I do have a small tank (less than five gallons but bigger than the jar) that I could use for the momma or for the hatchlings, I would just have to get it from home.

Oh! One last thing. The water in my dorm building is on the hard side, with a pH of around 8.2. I don't have the tools to measure the exact hardness. Will this affect the hatchlings, or the setting up of the salty jar? I could add an indian almond leaf if that would help.

Thank youuuuuu for reading this far, and thanks in advance for the advice!

david1978

From what I researched on them I think you are on the right path. Good luck.

Heathergk0

Hw3KVkDxzB_FdS7FZGJD_RHYPeU53y5gOR1qX-PCEf9ngCjnvhYsWidUhfBdjeWm-VJBfeXgCpk9Wji1QQ=w935-h1245-no.jpg

Here's a decent photo if anyone wants to see! I don't see any black spots on the eggs, so I should have until the weekend to get everything set up, right?

-Mak-

For the mother, every other day water changes aren't necessary. Plants will cut it down even further. I'm very unsure about feeding the larvae ground up food, I feel it might still be too big for them and they might not even be physically capable of eating/digesting commercial food at that stage.

Heathergk0

For the mother, every other day water changes aren't necessary. Plants will cut it down even further. I'm very unsure about feeding the larvae ground up food, I feel it might still be too big for them and they might not even be physically capable of eating/digesting commercial food at that stage.
Ok, what are some good alternatives then? I've heard phytoplankton, but I have no idea where to go about getting that. I've also heard diatoms, which I know in freshwater will grow naturally in the water column. Does that happen in salt water as well? Last thing I heard was bakers yeast, but that was only in one source. The other sources I read did have people saying they were successful with ground up food, but I want to make sure my bases are covered!

goldface

There's this guy on youtube who raised larval to adult with using 24hr lighting; thus creating a constant food supply of algae. He just used an airstone with no filter and did topoffs with the water line marked on the tank, so he knew where to fill it up at. This way the salinity stays the same. Probably not the best way, but the simplest and easiest. Two of my shrimp are carrying, but I had other demands to focus on.

Heathergk0

There's this guy on youtube who raised larval to adult with using 24hr lighting; thus creating a constant food supply of algae. He just used an airstone with no filter and did topoffs with the water line marked on the tank, so he knew where to fill it up at. This way the salinity stays the same. Probably not the best way, but the simplest and easiest. Two of my shrimp are carrying, but I had other demands to focus on.
Do you know how high the lighting has to be? I have roommates who probably wouldn't appreciate bright light all night, but I have a little LED that I could use at night.

goldface

Lighting is not my area of expertise.

Heathergk0

I have another question to add! Ppt is equal to grams per liter, right? If I calculate the grams of salt needed for my salty jar, and then rather than doing water changes just top of the evaporate with fresh water, will I need a hydrometer? That's another thing I would have to buy if it's necessary, so if it's acceptable to just calculate the salt needed I would rather do that.

NightShade

Yea, I'd say go with a hydrometer... that way there's no questions, ya know? I've wanted to do this lol... don't even have amanos yet but I did do a little research.. sounds similar to what my plan would be. I hope this works for you!!

Also, I found a place to get baby food - I've also heard of ppl using bakers yeast.. I swear I've seen Racheal O'Leary use it to feed her daphnia... so, I do think that could work. I agree with what Mak said.. Ground up pellets, I really don't think will work, but I don't know for sure.

Sion

I have another question to add! Ppt is equal to grams per liter, right? If I calculate the grams of salt needed for my salty jar, and then rather than doing water changes just top of the evaporate with fresh water, will I need a hydrometer? That's another thing I would have to buy if it's necessary, so if it's acceptable to just calculate the salt needed I would rather do that.
Ppt is parts per thousand, so yes grams per litre will be right. Many people prefer to use refractometers to measure salinity

Heathergk0

Ppt is parts per thousand, so yes grams per litre will be right. Many people prefer to use refractometers to measure salinity

Yea, I'd say go with a hydrometer... that way there's no questions, ya know? I've wanted to do this lol... don't even have amanos yet but I did do a little research.. sounds similar to what my plan would be. I hope this works for you!!

Also, I found a place to get baby food - I've also heard of ppl using bakers yeast.. I swear I've seen Racheal O'Leary use it to feed her daphnia... so, I do think that could work. I agree with what Mak said.. Ground up pellets, I really don't think will work, but I don't know for sure.

Hmm, good to know but I've been thinking and I think I'm going to have to go the cheaper route this time around (lol this broke college student only has a job during the summer soooooo gotta make funds last a bit). I'll probably buy salt but just do the grams per liter this time around, erring on the side of caution because they should be able to survive 17-35 ppt which is a decent range. And I'm going to attempt finely powdered algae wafer and whatever else happens to grow in the jar for food. At least the little guys will have a fighting chance, right? I'm going to keep the refractometer and larvae food in mind though for when I do have the funds to seriously try this!

That being said, I have a few more unanswered questions. Adults can live in temperatures 68-86 F, can larvae live in the same range? I would prefer to keep them at room temp, but if it would be better I have a tetra 50w heater to spare right now. I don't exactly trust it to evenly heat a 1 gallon jar, so I would put them in the 2.5 gallon tank if it's needed (still not the most reliable but better than a gallon).

For the 24 hour light- would an LED work enough to grow some algae? Is there a point to the 24 hour light other than algae growth? I saw a source that mentioned their larvae died without it but they didn't say why.

I know my adult shrimp eat the biofilm off of my indian almond leaves. Should I put an old leaf in the larvae tank for them to feed on, or will the salt immediately kill off the biofilm and make it useless?

Thanks in advance anyone who answers these!

goldface

I don’t think you’ll meet anyone who actually bred amanos on here. That said, from the info I gathered, I’m sure room temp will be fine. Not sure about the almond leaf. As far as I know, lights are just for algae growth. Not sure why they would die from a lack of light other then lack of food. It sorta reminds me of breeding triops and sea monkies as a kid, which is super easy to do. It looks like it’s one of those things where you can make it as simple or complicated as you want. I saw this guy raising them in essentially a plastic carton under constant lighting and did only one water change in 3 weeks. He got away with it by not feeding. In his other attempts, he did feed the other batch of larvae and the only difference was they grew faster. I’m sure you can find it on youtube by just searching amano shrimp breeding. It was quite informative. Let us know how it goes.

Heathergk0

I don’t think you’ll meet anyone who actually bred amanos on here. That said, from the info I gathered, I’m sure room temp will be fine. Not sure about the almond leaf. As far as I know, lights are just for algae growth. Not sure why they would die from a lack of light other then lack of food. It sorta reminds me of breeding triops and sea monkies as a kid, which is super easy to do. It looks like it’s one of those things where you can make it as simple or complicated as you want. I saw this guy raising them in essentially a plastic carton under constant lighting and did only one water change in 3 weeks. He got away with it by not feeding. In his other attempts, he did feed the other batch of larvae and the only difference was they grew faster. I’m sure you can find it on youtube by just searching amano shrimp breeding. It was quite informative. Let us know how it goes.

Thank youuu! I'll see if I can find this youtuber! And I'll post updates here when things start to happen. Currently Randall is still carrying her eggs (lol I named her before I realized the big ones are ladies and it stuck :emoji_joy. I'm going home tomorrow to round up some supplies, then I'll post some pics of my setup when it comes together!

Still looking for feedback on whether a small LED (white light) that's left on 24 hours will be enough to grow algae. Also, will diatoms/algae grow in saltwater like they do in freshwater, without any being added to seed the jar?

goldface

Here’s the video. He has another one.
As far as LED lights, what do you have?

NightShade

Yea, with the LED lights it depends what spectrum it is... you'll want around 6500 kelvin (color temperature). You could try it, can't imagine it would hurt! I'd put the jar in front of a window too... that way you know you'll have some good growing light, & led at night.

Lol... I'm excited for you!! Can't wait to see how this works out!

scarface, that video makes it look so easy!! Haha

Brian Rodgers

Good luck this seems like a fine project

Polyrhythm

Definitely gonna be following this to see if it works, last time my amanos were berried my 1.5 G had some temporary inhabitants but now that's it's free I can finally attempt to raise the babies. Good luck!

Heathergk0

Yea, with the LED lights it depends what spectrum it is... you'll want around 6500 kelvin (color temperature). You could try it, can't imagine it would hurt! I'd put the jar in front of a window too... that way you know you'll have some good growing light, & led at night.

Lol... I'm excited for you!! Can't wait to see how this works out!

scarface, that video makes it look so easy!! Haha

So, I have two options for the LEDs. I have this little doodad:

_jbJ3bSRGEb47UbdXrdFAnGItPuFc2EZk_0pZa_wk74SDLgrnWj6EvJRwGAd8gw4B4sH_acH1iweIzvZg=w1304-h1245-no.jpg
It's got three LEDs that give off a blue-ish white light. As an alternative, I have a stick LED that has red, blue, and green bulbs. It can alternate between the colors or you can stop it anywhere in the cycle and end up with a mix of two colors, or just a single color if you time it right. Idk if it has a setting for all three color bulbs to be on at once. I don't have packages for either of them so I know nothing about the color temperature, or even the brand to look it up...

I'm also debating what containers now to use for the mom and the eventual hatchlings. I have at my disposal a half gallon mason jar, a .7 gallon cube, and what I'm guessing is a 2.5 gallon tank. Not sure which would be best for the mom and which would be best for the larvae. Also I know the saltwater for the larvae has to be aerated, but will the mom need any aeration while she's in her separate container? I'm not planning on heating or filtering it since it's so short term and they can live at room temperature.

NightShade

Go to Home Depot/Lowe's and buy a cheap utility clamp lamp, they have metal "shades" with a socket, cord, & clamp... and a cfl bulb usually "daylight" is what ur looking for... the package will (should) say the kelvin temp. (6500K) and use that... I'd get 75 or 100 watt equivalent... let me go dig mine up, to show you what I'm talking about they're cheap!! (The bulb will probably cost more lol)

You'll find the clamp lamp in the electrical section... not in the light fixture section! Usually where extension cords are.

NightShade

Ahh... Walmart too! Here's the clamp lamp: $5.99

IMG_7630.PNG

Lightbulb: (3-pack) $13.99

IMG_7627.PNG

IMG_7628.PNG

See left side that looks like nutrition stats on a food package? Look at the "color appearance" shows a bar that goes from cool to warm.. and has the arrow pointing up from below, that says "6500K"? (Edit: I think it says 5400K or 6400K.. can't read it too well lol! but honestly, either will work for this purpose... just stay above 5400K, and below we will say 7000K) That's what you're looking for... I'm sure you can buy single packs too... this was just so I could show you what to look for in the store

Heathergk0

Go to Home Depot/Lowe's and buy a cheap utility clamp lamp, they have metal "shades" with a socket, cord, & clamp... and a cfl bulb usually "daylight" is what ur looking for... the package will (should) say the kelvin temp. (6500K) and use that... I'd get 75 or 100 watt equivalent... let me go dig mine up, to show you what I'm talking about they're cheap!! (The bulb will probably cost more lol)

You'll find the clamp lamp in the electrical section... not in the light fixture section! Usually where extension cords are.

That does look very cost efficient, thank you! I'm definitely going to pick up one of these for use after I get out of dorm housing. Only problem now is, I'm trying to keep the space and amount of night light to a minimum due to living in a dorm room with 4 roommates (who already graciously put up with my three tanks) Do you think it would work if I kept the larvae in the sunshine during the day, and used one of the small LEDs at night to at least provide a bit of light? Or would it just be completely useless? My roommates have said they'd be okay with an LED but I'm not sure even I could sleep with a CFL bulb going all night in the same room.

NightShade

That does look very cost efficient, thank you! I'm definitely going to pick up one of these for use after I get out of dorm housing. Only problem now is, I'm trying to keep the space and amount of night light to a minimum due to living in a dorm room with 4 roommates (who already graciously put up with my three tanks) Do you think it would work if I kept the larvae in the sunshine during the day, and used one of the small LEDs at night to at least provide a bit of light? Or would it just be completely useless? My roommates have said they'd be okay with an LED but I'm not sure even I could sleep with a CFL bulb going all night in the same room.

Yea, I honestly think that with the way sunlight will make algae get seriously out of control in some tanks.... you would be fine with the LED only on at night. Especially after watching that video above... apparently, you don't need green water. (He seemed to raise them just fine without his water being "green") So, consider the fact that I've seen SO SO SOO many ppl get green water unintentionally, in their main aquariums, with (not a lot of) sunlight alone (they didn't leave their tank lights on 24/7) ... I think (**depending on which direction your window faces** do you know? Have a compass app on your phone by any chance?) you may, quite possibly, do ok without the LED... I'd put it on at first tho, but then, maybe if/when the water starts turning green (according to the video, he says green water makes the water quality go downhill), then give the LED the boot! Does that make sense?

*1*Do you know which way your window faces? North/South/East/West? *2*Are there trees shading your window? (If I can know the answers, you MAY not need the LED)... *3*how long does the sun shine through the window? *4*Is there another building that reflects light into your window? .... or, you can do as I said above, wait and see (experiment) lol

The reason I ask: For example: I have houseplants in my kitchen, the windowsill they sit on faces northeast. There's a house about a truck's width away from our window... **but, since it's a light colored house, it reflects the southwestern sun enough to make them grow beautifully- in the winter (lol) in the summer... deciduous trees keep my plants from getting enough light (which is fine, I have a tree to "summer" them under outside lol)... haha... ok... I have studied plant growth and lighting ALOT! If that's not obvious haha... but this is one area, that I am actually pretty knowledgeable lol

Heathergk0

Yea, I honestly think that with the way sunlight will make algae get seriously out of control in some tanks.... you would be fine with the LED only on at night. Especially after watching that video above... apparently, you don't need green water. (He seemed to raise them just fine without his water being "green") So, consider the fact that I've seen SO SO SOO many ppl get green water unintentionally, in their main aquariums, with (not a lot of) sunlight alone (they didn't leave their tank lights on 24/7) ... I think (**depending on which direction your window faces** do you know? Have a compass app on your phone by any chance?) you may, quite possibly, do ok without the LED... I'd put it on at first tho, but then, maybe if/when the water starts turning green (according to the video, he says green water makes the water quality go downhill), then give the LED the boot! Does that make sense?

*1*Do you know which way your window faces? North/South/East/West? *2*Are there trees shading your window? (If I can know the answers, you MAY not need the LED)... *3*how long does the sun shine through the window? *4*Is there another building that reflects light into your window? .... or, you can do as I said above, wait and see (experiment) lol

The reason I ask: For example: I have houseplants in my kitchen, the windowsill they sit on faces northeast. There's a house about a truck's width away from our window... **but, since it's a light colored house, it reflects the southwestern sun enough to make them grow beautifully- in the winter (lol) in the summer... deciduous trees keep my plants from getting enough light (which is fine, I have a tree to "summer" them under outside lol)... haha... ok... I have studied plant growth and lighting ALOT! If that's not obvious haha... but this is one area, that I am actually pretty knowledgeable lol

Wow, I honestly love that you know so much about lighting!! It's something I definitely need to learn more about, especially since it might currently be causing some of my other plants to die... but that's a topic for another thread

(1) According to google maps, my windows face pretty much due south. (2) No trees to shade it, but also not really any reflective buildings (4), so I'm guessing any sunlight will be mostly indirect. (3) If you're asking for hours of direct sunlight, unfortunately not many. Although my one roommate just informed me that from about 9am to noon we get a single strip of direct sunlight that shines right into her eyes at her desk

The other option I was contemplating was my desk lamp, which has been growing my kleiner prinz sword like crazy and that's supposed to be a medium to high light plant. I just popped the bulb out to take a look and it's an 800 lumen LED. The light is yellowish, so probably a lower color temperature, right? There's some other stuff on the label on the bulb that idk how to read, but if it would be helpful I can post a picture of it. I know the lower color temp probably isn't great for the algae, but the fact that my sword is growing so well gives me hope.

NightShade

Umm.. if u want a short answer.. check the bottom

Ooh... thanks!! number one lol... am happy to help with lighting questions! Aquarium plant lighting is SUUUCCHH an easier question to answer than the reason I know lighting... Orchids and other houseplants (& garden plants - which is a different subject in this case)... but a southern facing window will be PERFECT for growing green water! And I mean, you'll get you some green water lol... Especially if you put it right on the windowsill (or right up to the window on a table) - which is basically (as aquariums go) the same thing (Orchids would be slightly different lol - glass diffuses differently - as does water)... you won't want direct light unless you want some very nice green water (which is why southern light is a very good thing... that said, I've never tried to grow green water... very indirect light (there's no definitive answers on this particular question- I am guessing to some extent) will certainly do it. Southern light, right up at the window, will definitely give you green water.... it's a question of how much, and how long

My question would be, how long it would take.. (***and how long does it take for Amano larvae to metamorph into juvies?) which is prob not long at all (as far as getting green water)... so I'd possibly leave the LED totally out of the equation (especially based on that Amano larvae video). *1*How close to the window will it be? (Your roommates desk may be perfect lol... tell her I'm sorry! also... *2*how far away is her desk from the window?) & *3*can you (or how early will you) open the window blinds (to blind your roommate) first thing in the am? I'd bet you could put it a few feet away (or even up close to) the window... you can always do a waterchange and pull it farther away if it starts getting too green.... I'm thinking if we did it the other way around (as you would with any plants, so as not to burn them) your larvae would suffer... we don't care if the algae does!

Also, FYI... if you have no building reflecting the light, or no trees blocking it, you'll have a lot of plant growth - great light. (Algae or otherwise... but prob both... so those Amano babies will be good if your aquarium is close to the window lol... but it's better (b/c it's indirect, but still wonderful, bright light) than western or southwestern light as far as intensity)

I have to give you a disclaimer... I have no experience with green water... growing plants in an aquarium with artificial light, & growing orchids under natural light (indirect sun - like southern... which is gold! ❤️), & sometimes (when I had over 70 orchids) a little artificial supplemental light... wish I had enough time to experiment with "green water" myself... if u can't tell.. I kinda geek out on this subject lol... sorry

I'm giving you a long winded answer, because I am sensing that you like to learn... who else tries to raise Amano shrimp larvae lol? I would! hope its not too much.. if it is, please tell me, I'll shorten it next time! Promise!

Btw, questions about lights for growing plants in an aquarium, would be a much shorter answer lol! I've just been thinking out loud ops:

If you want green water (that's actually green - which according to the video, you'd need to do more water changes if doing so), put the larvae tank right up near your wonderful southern exposure window.... I'd bet there is no need for the LED (especially if you can get the green water jump started - like as soon as the sun comes up in the morning)... I don't know how long it takes green water under these conditions to grow. (Not much of any experience with algae) or how long it'll be until your larvae hatch? If you set the tank/jug on your roommates desk (for a blind example - based on the amount of light she reported) say it's 3-5 feet away from window, I'd start using the LED... any closer... try without. **but if you've gotta start the green w. now, with the larvae depending on food now... start off with the LED on at night... but you may (will probably) have to turn it off... the moment the water starts to get really green.. also, see second paragraph for my questions.

Ugh... was very distracted while typing this... sorry if I was a little repetitive

Heathergk0

Umm.. if u want a short answer.. check the bottom

Ooh... thanks!! number one lol... am happy to help with lighting questions! Aquarium plant lighting is SUUUCCHH an easier question to answer than the reason I know lighting... Orchids and other houseplants (& garden plants - which is a different subject in this case)... but a southern facing window will be PERFECT for growing green water! And I mean, you'll get you some green water lol... Especially if you put it right on the windowsill (or right up to the window on a table) - which is basically (as aquariums go) the same thing (Orchids would be slightly different lol - glass diffuses differently - as does water)... you won't want direct light unless you want some very nice green water (which is why southern light is a very good thing... that said, I've never tried to grow green water... very indirect light (there's no definitive answers on this particular question- I am guessing to some extent) will certainly do it. Southern light, right up at the window, will definitely give you green water.... it's a question of how much, and how long

My question would be, how long it would take.. (***and how long does it take for Amano larvae to metamorph into juvies?) which is prob not long at all (as far as getting green water)... so I'd possibly leave the LED totally out of the equation (especially based on that Amano larvae video). *1*How close to the window will it be? (Your roommates desk may be perfect lol... tell her I'm sorry! also... *2*how far away is her desk from the window?) & *3*can you (or how early will you) open the window blinds (to blind your roommate) first thing in the am? I'd bet you could put it a few feet away (or even up close to) the window... you can always do a waterchange and pull it farther away if it starts getting too green.... I'm thinking if we did it the other way around (as you would with any plants, so as not to burn them) your larvae would suffer... we don't care if the algae does!

Also, FYI... if you have no building reflecting the light, or no trees blocking it, you'll have a lot of plant growth - great light. (Algae or otherwise... but prob both... so those Amano babies will be good if your aquarium is close to the window lol... but it's better (b/c it's indirect, but still wonderful, bright light) than western or southwestern light as far as intensity)

I have to give you a disclaimer... I have no experience with green water... growing plants in an aquarium with artificial light, & growing orchids under natural light (indirect sun - like southern... which is gold! ❤️), & sometimes (when I had over 70 orchids) a little artificial supplemental light... wish I had enough time to experiment with "green water" myself... if u can't tell.. I kinda geek out on this subject lol... sorry

I'm giving you a long winded answer, because I am sensing that you like to learn... who else tries to raise Amano shrimp larvae lol? I would! hope its not too much.. if it is, please tell me, I'll shorten it next time! Promise!

Btw, questions about lights for growing plants in an aquarium, would be a much shorter answer lol! I've just been thinking out loud ops:

If you want green water (that's actually green - which according to the video, you'd need to do more water changes if doing so), put the larvae tank right up near your wonderful southern exposure window.... I'd bet there is no need for the LED (especially if you can get the green water jump started - like as soon as the sun comes up in the morning)... I don't know how long it takes green water under these conditions to grow. (Not much of any experience with algae) or how long it'll be until your larvae hatch? If you set the tank/jug on your roommates desk (for a blind example - based on the amount of light she reported) say it's 3-5 feet away from window, I'd start using the LED... any closer... try without. **but if you've gotta start the green w. now, with the larvae depending on food now... start off with the LED on at night... but you may (will probably) have to turn it off... the moment the water starts to get really green.. also, see second paragraph for my questions.

Ugh... was very distracted while typing this... sorry if I was a little repetitive

AHHH thank youuuu!!! So much information, I love it! Don't ever shorten it lol I am a sponge to your vast knowledge!!! Lol when I get around to posting the other thread about my plants I might tag you in it, if that's okay

So I'm going to have to keep the larvae jar about 5 feet from the window, I tried but with such a small space there just wasn't any way to rearrange things to have something to put it on in front of the window. I'm going to supplement the sunlight during the day with my desk lamp and hope that's enough, with the small LED at night to start with. I've just gotten the jar set up and aerating, so hopefully something will grow before the larvae hatch.

That actually brings me to another question I've had, but will algae grow without me adding anything to the jar? My understanding was that algae grows in fresh water tanks because there are already minute traces of it in the tap water, obviously it can't just appear out of nowhere. Will the same thing happen with salt water algae? Lol if not I can always be the weirdo walking into the LFS asking if I can have some of their saltwater algae

PP0m3r7nII5vlDt0h_3XKKj8Vh2vNSmPQME2D-QxXr3uJMk-Kqn1a9do8OA8Nux9tuqFnmtCmLYmrHxnOA=w935-h1245-no.jpg

Here's the setup so far! Not much yet, just the salty jar sharing a light with Planty the sword. I just added the salt, so it's still dissolving. I've done it according to the amounts on the instant ocean box, but at some point I may take it in to the fish store and see if they'll test my salinity just to be sure. Momma Randall is still carrying the eggs and still in the main tank, I'll probably wait a few days before separating her since I read they can be berried for up to 3 weeks.

Heathergk0

I have a new problem! So I knew salt water speeds up the rusting process, didn't realize it was this dramatic though... I had put a lid on my mason jar in order to slow down evaporation, and within a few hours I noticed orange stuff depositing on it. I'm guessing that's rust. I don't think any of it actually got into the water, but I know rust can contain metals like copper that kill shrimp, so I took it off right away. Now I've got plastic wrap covering the jar, is that going to leach anything bad into my water? Should I change the water anyways since it may have gotten traces of rust in it?

(Also still wondering if algae grows spontaneously in salt water like it does in fresh water).

Edit- I'm really not a fan of the saran wrap, I had to lower the water level so it wouldn't drip everywhere. The rust only occurred on the lid where I punched a hole through it (the top is metal, the bottom is coated in something else but in punching a hole through I exposed the metal), is there anything I can coat that coat in so that it doesn't rust any more? I was thinking either polymer clay or cyanoacrylate super-glue, since I've used both of those safely in my freshwater tanks but I don't know if they have any adverse affects in salt water.

david1978

Depending on your source water if its chlorinated most if not all of the algae will be killed off. The best water to start with I would think would be out of a running salt water or brackish tank. Just a thought.

Heathergk0

Depending on your source water if its chlorinated most if not all of the algae will be killed off. The best water to start with I would think would be out of a running salt water or brackish tank. Just a thought.
That makes sense... lol if only I knew someone with a saltwater tank! I guess I will have to go into the fish store and ask if they'll give me some algae

david1978

After reading the whole post that was the only thing that seemed so much of a variable. Other wise I think your onto something.

Heathergk0

After reading the whole post that was the only thing that seemed so much of a variable. Other wise I think your onto something.
Thanks for taking the time to read all this! Any ideas about the rust situation? I.E. whether I need to change all of the water out, and if I can coat it in anything to stop the rust? I found one website that says the lids are made of tin-plated steel, if that makes any difference.

david1978

As quickly as you removed the lid I don't see it being an issue. If it would of deteriorated and have pieces fall off that would be different. I love experiments. Lol. My last one wasn't going to work long term but I tried. Lol

Heathergk0

As quickly as you removed the lid I don't see it being an issue. If it would of deteriorated and have pieces fall off that would be different.
A bit did rub off onto the airline tubing that was running through the hole, I wiped it off with a tissue before putting it back in, but with as small a volume of water as this is, I can't help but be a little concerned... lol maybe I should just replace the water anyways since I'm this worried about it. Better to err on the side of caution. Thanks for the input!

goldface

A bit did rub off onto the airline tubing that was running through the hole, I wiped it off with a tissue before putting it back in, but with as small a volume of water as this is, I can't help but be a little concerned... lol maybe I should just replace the water anyways since I'm this worried about it. Better to err on the side of caution. Thanks for the input!
Try not too mess with the water too much when you finally get the babies. Relax. See it as a learning experience. But of course we want you to succeed. Speaking of, one of my amanos just released a ton. They look like tiny particles circulating all around the tank. Oh well.

Heathergk0

Try not too mess with the water too much when you finally get the babies. Relax. See it as a learning experience. But of course we want you to succeed. Speaking of, one of my amanos just released a ton. They look like tiny particles circulating all around the tank. Oh well.
Yeah, realistically I know their chances of survival are still not gonna be too high, since I'm not really doing things the "right" way. I just want to get things as nicely set up as I can before the babies hatch. There will be better chances in the future, when I'm more prepared and not limited by living in a dorm room! Still, I'm gonna give it my best shot.

Although I actually do have another question. In the rare case that I do get a good amount of survivors, how many can live in a 10 gallon with a betta? I know their bioloads are super low, but at what point would the tank be overstocked? I'm not too worried about food since I have an abundance of algae and also occasionally supplement with an algae wafer, just the water quality.

Heathergk0

Update: I remade the salt water and used polymer clay to seal the edges of the hole in the lid, thus making it very rust-resistant if not rust proof. We'll see what happens. Tomorrow I think I'll put mama Randall in the cube with some of my (slightly dying) java moss and maybe Cedric the Marimo for company. Debating about whether to include some gravel or just leave it bare bottom. I'm also a bit wary that going from a heated to an unheated tank will stress her out and cause her to drop the eggs or something, is this a thing I should be concerned about? The starting temp will be the same as the heated tank but without a heater it will cool to room temp.

goldface

Yeah, realistically I know their chances of survival are still not gonna be too high, since I'm not really doing things the "right" way. I just want to get things as nicely set up as I can before the babies hatch. There will be better chances in the future, when I'm more prepared and not limited by living in a dorm room! Still, I'm gonna give it my best shot.

Although I actually do have another question. In the rare case that I do get a good amount of survivors, how many can live in a 10 gallon with a betta? I know their bioloads are super low, but at what point would the tank be overstocked? I'm not too worried about food since I have an abundance of algae and also occasionally supplement with an algae wafer, just the water quality.
Sorry if this is a bit late. I'd say quite a few can be stocked in a 10g, especially with lots of plants. The betta could be a concern, however. I had one harass a much larger shrimp to death. It's just something to be aware of as a possibility. I'm quite positive room temp won't be a concern, within reason.

Miaw

Sorry I didn't read if anyone mentioned this but isn't ppm is mg/l and Ppt is ug/l?

Heathergk0

Sorry if this is a bit late. I'd say quite a few can be stocked in a 10g, especially with lots of plants. The betta could be a concern, however. I had one harass a much larger shrimp to death. It's just something to be aware of as a possibility. I'm quite positive room temp won't be a concern, within reason.
Unfortunately I only have a couple live plants. Lots of algae though! And I'm not super worried about the betta. He's rather big and clumsy and he's never been able to catch any of the 4 adults I keep in there now. He does pursue them every once in a while, but I get the feeling he wants to eat their algae wafers more than he wants to eat them!

Heathergk0

Sorry I didn't read if anyone mentioned this but isn't ppm is mg/l and Ppt is ug/l?
If ppt stands for parts per thousand, then I think g/L makes sense because 1 gallon = 1 ml and 1000 ml = 1 L, right?

Miaw

ppt is parts per trillion I thought
E.g.

A sensitivity of… 2 mV/V 2 parts per thousand 2 ‰ 2 × 10−3
A sensitivity of… 0.2 mV/V 2 parts per ten thousand 2 ‱ 2 × 10−4
A sensitivity of… 2 µV/V 2 parts per million 2 ppm 2 × 10−6
A sensitivity of… 2 nV/V 2 parts per billion 2 ppb 2 × 10−9
A sensitivity of… 2 pV/V 2 parts per trillion 2 ppt 2 × 10−12

from Parts-per notation - Wikipedia

So maybe you added a lot more salt than you should have

Heathergk0

Huh, this random website says part per thousand
Also I actually went based on the instructions on the box, which said 1/2 cup of salt per gallon so hopefully that's correct!

Miaw

Cool.

"Although "ppt" usually means "parts per trillion", it occasionally means "parts per thousand". Unless the meaning of "ppt" is defined explicitly, it has to be guessed from the context."

In that context it's obviously per thousand because they define it so don't worry. I guess "ppt" is easier to read and write than "
ppt.gif".

Heathergk0

Cool.

"Although "ppt" usually means "parts per trillion", it occasionally means "parts per thousand". Unless the meaning of "ppt" is defined explicitly, it has to be guessed from the context."

In that context it's obviously per thousand because they define it so don't worry. I guess "ppt" is easier to read and write than "
ppt.gif".
Huh, I didn't even realize that sign was a thing! It makes a lot of sense though, just % with an extra 0 on the bottom. Lol thanks for teaching me something new

Heathergk0

Update time!

I just captured Mama Shrimp and moved her to the small cube. Here's a (really bad) picture of her acclimating to the temp! I've got some dying java moss, a marimo, and an old almond leaf in there to keep her comfy.

jlzDfntSkNuLceHy2P5nAl3cZvUESBv9Twe7b1b0GnVUwiSoq4ha_OdclgsqPQ4icVMv02QHHWE3iqVjg=w1244-h1245-no.jpg
The salty jar has been running with an air stone on full blast for almost a week. There's some gunk accumulating on the airline tubing... I hope that means something is growing? I don't know what else it would be. I added a dash of seachem flourish a few days ago and have been keeping it under pretty high lighting, but no green water. Just the gunk. Hopefully whatever that is, plus some algae wafer dust, will be enough to feed the larvae.

NightShade

Omg!! I didn't get any alerts! Wasn't ignoring you promise!

Like the progress, & lol... did you go ask the pet store for some of their saltwater algae? That's probably the best way honestly

Heathergk0

Omg!! I didn't get any alerts! Wasn't ignoring you promise!

Like the progress, & lol... did you go ask the pet store for some of their saltwater algae? That's probably the best way honestly
That's okay lol it's been a pretty uneventful week shrimp-wise! And I haven't gotten to the pet store yet, but my favorite local store has a sale going on this week so I'll definitely be getting out there at some point! (I'm gonna try to get some more floating plants too, maybe anacharis or water sprite if they have it, for the betta tanks).

Edit- any idea what kind of algae I should ask them for? Like, do I want them to scrape some off a rock or something or literally just give me a cup of their water?

Heathergk0

Update- mama shrimp is still carrying the eggs. I added an airstone on low flow to her cube because I didn't like the biofilm that was building up on the surface. I also decided on a food for the babies- yesterday I went and got some frozen brine shrimp and spirulina cubes. They didn't have any plain spirulina, but the LFS employee showed me how I could thaw some and then strain out the brine shrimp and just feed the green water to the larvae. I'll feed the brine shrimp to my bettas!

Heathergk0

The babies have hatched!! Here, have some really crummy photos

gGi2m-ezzN-yqmZ1R-5tBu6rcfFxVoZB611Txa_d10CkRdrz6yGT3N9szp-bqmdOvDVFwPOWOU0yfHKRVg=w935-h1245-no.jpg

Wv8La6dQNhkA4u-KgmocDF01S1TMIxYGZUCTdPIzuTgK817SnxgUkJPrpUnD0tT6qaRX4-NIuC36wjqcow=w935-h1245-no.jpg
Now I just need to figure out how soon to start feeding them, and how much!

NightShade

Congrats!! I'd say very soon, and start small with the amount.

Lol... wish I could be of more help here. Can't remember when they finish off their yolk sacs?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Jellibeen
Replies
Views