Hatching Brine Shrimp??

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
ATM how does the salt stay in the black box if your dumping shrimp and water? I' think I'm confused
Carol
Carol according to the black box,lol, the salt water is heavier and will stay in the bottom. It does'nt quite make sense. EX: I can't stay afloat when I swim. But when my wife and I went to the Bahama's for our honeymoon, I floated with ease and darn near fell asleep in the ocean til my wife woke me up. Talk about sunburnt, I could'nt wear a shirt for 2 days,lol.

So how the salt water stays in the bottom of the box gots me confused as the top little bottle is filled with, aquarium water,thats what I used. And the brine shrimp just came up to the top in search of light. Mine hatched in no time,actually did it that night and by noon the following day they were there. Must have something to do with gravity.

John

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was just wondering because the salt disolves in the water and makes a solution. thats why I always rinsed my shrimp before feeding them. Just curious
Carol

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yup ewolfe is right, the salt is heavy and the bottle isn't filled with salt so the salt doens't rise up.

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
I was just wondering because the salt disolves in the water and makes a solution. thats why I always rinsed my shrimp before feeding them. Just curious
Carol

Carol,

You must have alot of fun rinsing those little buggers. I had to get a magnifying glass to see them.

John

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Really John, I can see mine ???

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just lay a light by the bottle and they will all go over to the light then I use a turkey baster to slurp them up and then squeeze them out into the coffee filter then run dechlorinated water over them and rinse the filter in which ever tank I want the shrimp in
a
Carol

Kiyo

Reaction score
I'm a little sceptical of the whole salt stays on bottum thing. While it is true that salt water is much denser than fresh water it still sould not cause the salt to sit on the bottum like that. The salt ions will diffuse over short distances so the solution should be bassically homogenious. Salt gradients will form over several meters like in an ocean, but near shore it's fairly well mixed by waves and currents and the such.

Sorry for being the synic (I'm a physics Major).

I'dd rince the shrimp.

Kiyo

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom