Hatching Brine Shrimp??

Tylee

Reaction score
HI All!!

Not really sure where to post this : so I'll post it here.

heard that people have been hatching there own brineshrimp but I no nothing about brineshrimp!!

could anyone tell me how to do this ??? do I need special equipment ??? do I start with hatched brineshrimp or with eggs ???

my LFS charges quite a lot for brineshrimp so this would hopefully be a lot cheaper for me...

thanks in advance!!

Tylee

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow I'll be glad to help you, let me get some pics of my hatchery. It's really easy, it cost me 8$ for setup which included some eggs and now costs me 5$ a bottle which lasts me a long time. Of to get my camera.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can also use a 2L soda bottle.
Cut the top of the bottle off right below where it starts to curve. Fill the bottle with dechlorinated water and about 1 tsp uniodized salt. Invert the part you cut off and pusk down into the soda bottle (sort of like a funnel). then insert a piece of tubing down into the hole all the way to the bottom. Attach the other end of the tubing to an air pump. If the tube floats weight it down with a rock or a piece of aquarium safe lead. After the salt disolves add approx 1/2 tsp brine shrimp eggs. Locate it near a light source and you should have shrimp in 24hrs.
I draw shrimp our with a turkey baster and strain through a coffee filter then rinse the coffee filter gently with dechlorinated water. Then dip the filter into my fry tanks to rinse the shrimp of into the water. Most fry are sensitive to salt so be sure and rinse.
Carol

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
O the a DIY way, do you have any pics Butterfly, IN the link I posted a picture where you can buy a setup like that too, just don't know how it worked and never tried it, seems a bit complicated :-\

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Heres some pics

Add water, salt and brine shrimp eggs. I usually use a tube with a bubbler on the end this was just to show you what I meant Mine usually sits under a table lamp to hatch and as a light source.
Use a soda bottle the same way with a coffee filter to strain and rinse shrimp before feeding.
Carol

OP
T

Tylee

Reaction score
Thanks ATM and Butterfly!

Great stuff!! I'll be off tomorrow to get some eggs. I found that one of my platys had fry when I woke up this morning so hopefully I'll have some baby brine shrimp to feed them soon!! ;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Livebearer fry such as mollys can live and grow just fine on crushed flakes right from birth on. Most egglayers fry require brine shrimp.
Carol

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Would a 1.5 liter work as well? I got a 1.5 liter bottle instead of a 2 liter bottle because I heard that it's better if its more narrow.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It would probably work just more easy to knock over (I'm clumsy).
Carol

ewolfe315

Reaction score
Carol,

I got the packets with the brine shrimp eggs and it already has the salt included in the pack, I don't need to add anymore salt to it do I ?  Also where do you place the eggs at,in the bottom or top part of the soda bottle ??

I'm guessing the bottom section where the air tube goes.

BTW that's a great idea.

Thanks

John

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
just dump the package with the salt and eggs in the bottom then fill with warm dechlorinated water, invert the top and put it in, then put the bubbler through the hole and you are set to go.
Carol

ewolfe315

Reaction score
Butterfly said:
just dump the package with the salt and eggs in the bottom then fill with warm dechlorinated water, invert the top and put it in, then put the bubbler through the hole and you are set to go.
Carol
Carol, Thanks for the info.. I just received one of those shrimp hatcheries last week and your way is much easier. The one I bought is a little black box with what looks like a medice bottle on the top of it with a little whole. It's so confusing,the instructions state tap water nothing about removing the chlorine and chlorimines. The egg pack says to keep the water at 80 degrees with a PH of 8.0(lol). I could'nt get the waters Ph to 8.0 even if I used 3 boxes of baking soda.

John

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's the one I have, it's really rather easy. Don't worry about the ph or temperature, I just wrap mine in a small wash cloth. Simply dump the packet in, fill the thing up with water, mix it up then fill the bottle up and put it on and wrap a cloth around it. In 24-48 hours you will have shrimp and just take the bottle and dump it in the tank, the salt stays in the black box, refil bottle and do it again. With Roses it might be easier and better hatch rate I don't know since I haven't done it yet since this is working will for me.

ewolfe315

Reaction score
Thanks ATM .. It sure got me confused reading the box and then the packet of eggs. Well I did it last night and I'll just see how it goes with the black box,lol, sounds like I'm in an airplane searching for wreckage.

John

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ATM how does the salt stay in the black box if your dumping shrimp and water? I' think I'm confused
Carol

New Threads