hatching brine shrimp

1. vasqua03 Member Member

dropped a pack of san francisco Brine shrimp mix into about 1liter of water in a 1.5 gallon mini fish tank. put an air stone in there and a thermometer with a small yellow incandescent bulb on top above clear top. Should I leave the bulb on at all times? I am worried the temp will drop, the house is set at 70 but I can't spare an extra heater at the moment, the water temp was 80 when I pored the mix in.

Can I raise brine shrimp? I plan on feeding them to my convict and barbs and maybe to my red eye tetras.

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, you can.
    They can be fed yeast.
    You might want to get a bigger container to do it in however.

3. vasqua03 Member Member

The tank I am using to hatch them is a hex. wondering if it's going to work as I ma seeing most people just use 2liter bottles. There are eggs moving around in the water but there are also a lot settled on the bottom. Is that ok? How often can I feed?

4. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I feed once a day after they are hatched.

5. vasqua03 Member Member

Hey guys. I am just reading that the eggs must be continually suspended to hatch. Most of them are actually settled on the bottom. Would I just dispose of any eggs that aren't hatched or can I just restart the cycle or move the current cycle into another container that will allow them to be suspended?

6. cameronpalte Member Member

I would recommend allowing the currently suspended ones to hatch, and then trying it again. The eggs should be continuosly suspended to hatch, but I recommend waiting and see how this works out. After that you can try another cycle, and maybe try to do things differently to fix things.

7. snapper Well Known Member Member

So you have an air pump hooked up for your hatchery? I use it without an air stone, just the tubing stuck straight in all the way to the bottom. Keeps them from settling.