Has this platy been injured or is it sick

Aodhan

the fish hasn’t been moving right or at all and looks different from the other platys I have

veggieshark

That fish looks very sick. Needs to be put in a hospital tank. Once the belly collapses like that, it is very difficult to cure in my experience.

jkkgron2

Agree with above but I think we need more info to be make sure that quarantining him is a good idea. What are your water parameters, tank size, and full stocking?

Aodhan

jkkgron2 said:
Agree with above but I think we need more info to be make sure that quarantining him is a good idea. What are your water parameters, tank size, and full stocking?
Currently in a 64litre tank with 11 danios 5 gold minnows and 5 platys +a few snails and shrimp. Water is at a kh180 and gh120, ph 7, nitrate 40 pre cleaning

RomanNoodles96

Aodhan

Aodhan said:
Currently in a 64litre tank with 11 danios 5 gold minnows and 5 platys +a few snails and shrimp. Water is at a kh180 and gh120, ph 7, nitrate 40 pre cleaning
Water temp 24 forgot to add

jkkgron2

Aodhan said:
That sounds overstocked. I would upgrade to a 29 gallon tank. The platy might be sick because of stress caused by overcrowding. What are your ammonia and nitrite levels?

Aodhan

jkkgron2 said:
That sounds overstocked. I would upgrade to a 29 gallon tank. The platy might be sick because of stress caused by overcrowding. What are your ammonia and nitrite levels?
Nitrite 20, ammonia I don’t know the test kits I ordered don’t show ammonia only nitrate and nitrite

Aodhan

All fish in the tank are less than 1.5 inches/4cm I have plans on moving tanks later on as I have a goldfish tank (100 litre) once they out grow I was gonna move fish over

RomanNoodles96

Aodhan said:
Nitrite 20, ammonia I don’t know the test kits I ordered don’t show ammonia only nitrate and nitrite
Nitrite 20??? How are the fish still alive? You mean nitrates are 20 or nitrites?

Aodhan

RomanNoodles96 said:
Nitrite 20??? How are the fish still alive? You mean nitrates are 20 or nitrites?
Ahh sorry read it wrong nitrate 20 nitrite 0.5 barely

RomanNoodles96

Aodhan said:
Ahh sorry read it wrong nitrate 20 nitrite 0.5 barely
Even still, nitrite is harmful at .25. Your tank is cycling as it is producing nitrites, so just keep nitrites below .50 (do this with water changes) and ammonia below .50 (also with water changes) until your tank completely cycles. You want to have ammonia and nitrites at 0 and nitrates below 50 (which you have). If the fish is more than likely poisoned by the nitrites, and its probably too late to save unfortunately. To keep the rest safe do as I stated above until your tank completely cycles.

Aodhan

RomanNoodles96 said:
Even still, nitrite is harmful at .25. Your tank is cycling as it is producing nitrites, so just keep nitrites below .50 (do this with water changes) and ammonia below .50 (also with water changes) until your tank completely cycles. You want to have ammonia and nitrites at 0 and nitrates below 50 (which you have). If the fish is more than likely poisoned by the nitrites, and its probably too late to save unfortunately. To keep the rest safe do as I stated above until your tank completely cycles.
Yea I understand I don’t think it’s poisoned i don’t have a accurate test kit it’s a 5-1 test strip so colour change is hard to see for nitrite and nitrates but the are definitely below the numbers you have stated. I do need to clean gravel and water change tomorrow I don’t have time on weekends to clean and the problems always arise during the weekends which doesn’t help. Thanks for the advice I’ll keep things posted on the well being of this individual and the status of the other fish on the tank.

RomanNoodles96

Aodhan said:
Yea I understand I don’t think it’s poisoned i don’t have a accurate test kit it’s a 5-1 test strip so colour change is hard to see for nitrite and nitrates but the are definitely below the numbers you have stated. I do need to clean gravel and water change tomorrow I don’t have time on weekends to clean and the problems always arise during the weekends which doesn’t help. Thanks for the advice I’ll keep things posted on the well being of this individual and the status of the other fish on the tank.
Okay. Sad to say but Livebearers (what platies are) are very weak due to inbreeding these days so the fish may just be dying due to its genetics. I have had terrible luck with guppies, they do well for the first couple months then slowly start dying and getting sick. Keep us updated.

Aodhan

RomanNoodles96 said:
Okay. Sad to say but Livebearers (what platies are) are very weak due to inbreeding these days so the fish may just be dying due to its genetics. I have had terrible luck with guppies, they do well for the first couple months then slowly start dying and getting sick. Keep us updated.
Unfortunately this individual has passed away, I will keep an eye on the others but they were not displaying the same behaviour as this fish

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom